Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is your biggest airgun related disaster ?

Lubricating a Webley Tracker tap with silicone grease before I knew better.
    Too many airguns!

Finding a BSA standard .25 on the tip,
    Gave it to a friend as couldn't find pellets for it(1956?)
    snarepeg.

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    You have just reminded me - I did that to a Webley Junior pistol and seized it up good and proper. Would you believe Webleys fixed it for the price of the postage some 30 years ago? What excellent customer service.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    You have just reminded me - I did that to a Webley Junior pistol and seized it up good and proper. Would you believe Webleys fixed it for the price of the postage some 30 years ago? What excellent customer service.

John
    No wonder they went bust.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    No wonder they went bust.
    LOL. However, on a serious note, that gesture was not forgotten and I bought quite a few 'modern' Webleys as time went on, so regular custom resulted from their kind gesture.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Went shooting over the local waste dump and run out of ammo.
    Got back home and was wiping the gun over,with a oily rag.
    Took a imaginary shot at the window and bang the gun fired.
    My dear mum looked at me with shock on her face, I gingerly walked over to the window and yes there was a 6-7mm hole at the top of the 60”x60” pane of glass..
    I wasn’t number one son that day.
    My best pal did pretty much the same thing about 3 weeks later ldconfused.
    Must have been something in the water.
    Les..

After me and my mate saving and buying some brand new bsas each. Him a superstar, me a supersport. After a morning zeroing the scopes and getting used to them, i picked his up and had a few shots then leaned it up against the wall. Well it slid sideways, and it missed mine, but clattered to the concrete paving/floor.
    The stock had some serious scratchs and the bell on the scope had a dent (golden antler tv). How he didnt knock my teeth out ill never know.
    Super soaker 3000 (water), nerf fang (foam), noisy cricket (energy), m41a pulse rifle (10x24), Gat gun (.177)

Selling my Venom Mach 1. Mach 1.5

Around 15 years ago I swapped a break barrel Whiscombe JW50 for a Theoben Imperator FT SLR88 .177 and topped it up with £100, yes a temporary moment of madness... As soon as I got back in my car I realised that it wasn't right, so called the guy I swapped with and offered him another £100 for a swap back to how things were, so he would have made £200 for nothing. When I called he told me to get lost and told me to never call him again. Moral of the story, I have sold very little since

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Not spending £70 on a job lot of 3 guns at my local gun shop. one of which was a Haenel model 50 air pistol valued at £10. he wouldn't split them as he was selling them for a friend. l didn't want the other 2. that was back in 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    I did the same with my 18th birthday present a.177 BSA Airsporter S.
    serial no. EPO2300

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by steptoe1966 View Post
    My best memory was a disaster for friend in a way .

Please kids never point a gun at each other i know but a a say was the late 70's early 80's different times
    My friend's Dad said that in the early 1950s one of his mates got very angry after a session in the village pub as his mates had left while he was in the toilet. He opened fire at them as they walked up a rural road with a Walther P-38 his uncle had brought back from WW2 as a 'trophy'. Luckily he was a poor shot as well as heavily intoxicated and he emptied the magazine without hitting anyone, most of the 9mm rounds bouncing with sparks off the tarmac. His friends thought it was hysterically funny, being full of cider themselves.

Please kids and adults never point a gun at anyone, it was the 1950s and a different time.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 28-01-2022 at 09:45 PM.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Seth View Post
    I did the same with my 18th birthday present a.177 BSA Airsporter S.
    serial no. EPO2300
    I seized a tap on an Airsporter or something like this as well. Airgun World was to blame, they used to go on about silicone oil & grease and apart from lubing Airsoft or maybe a bit in the molybdenumised SM50 for leather washers, it shouldn't go near any kind of gun. I think it was the idea that silicone oil did not diesel. Well the Airsporter didnt diesel with the grease seizing its tap as I couldn't fire the bloody thing til all the silicone had been flushed out with WD40 god bless it paraffin ina can.

Learned quite a few lessons along the road of collecting airguns. One of them concerned my poorly developed negotiation skills.

Drove 200km to have look at an old boxed Haenel pistol. It was put up for sale by a family member of the deceased owner. It was fabulous piece, with all the original finish in tact, but with just a light film of rust on the surface, which could have been easily removed with some 000 wire wool & oil. I was over the moon by this discovery, but stupidly enough I thought I'd use this to my advantage by re-negotiating an already very good price. He said just wait here a minute. When he came back after 10 mins or so, he had turned a very early scarce collectible into a shiny piece of junk by sanding off the haze with coarse sandpaper.

The horror I felt at that moment was enough to leave it and return home. Now looking back with regret, as I should have bought it anyways.
    Collection: vintage air pistols & air rifles / vintage air gun accessories
    Facebook groups: vintage air guns 1. Webley, 2 BSA, 3. Haenel, 4. Weihrauch, 5. Diana

Wow, there are some good answers here. Keep them coming !

I am so glad that I am not the only one that has had disasters along the way. Guess we all live and learn as they say.

Lakey