Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turret press recommendations

Turret press recommendations

Hi all,

I’m looking to get into reloading when I get a variation for an underlever and lbp, so will be loading pistol rounds.

I think a turret press would suit my needs and I’m currently drawn towards the rcbs one, as it’s primer system seems to be good.

I’ve also looked at Redding, Lyman and Lee.

I can’t justify/afford Dillon.

I heard that Lee are good, until they’re not, then they can be a pain to sort.

I’m happy paying a bit more for a press that is a pleasure to use, as it should be an enjoyable experience.

So I wondered if anyone could please let me know their experience of any of the above brands turret presses.

Thanks,
    Danny.
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22/BRNO Model 2/Remington 597/Buckmark/Marlin.44

i reload for my .44 magnum on a normal single stage press.....i know its a faff and more time consuming but the plus side.......i can physically check each powder charge

You want a turret or a progressive? Ultimate reloaded is a good resource

He explains the difference here

https://ultimatereloader.com/getting...es-of-presses/

His YouTube channel has lots of revurws too.

For pistol calibres (and low volume rifle cartridges) I have used a Lee Turret (3-hole version) for nearly 30 years - the same one. It must have loaded hundreds of thousands of rounds from 9mm to .303

It has never failed and I believe if it did there are spares available at least for the newer 4-hole version. It can be converted to a single stage very quickly with no tools. Very good value for money.

I would think the others on your list are just as good but I haven't used them. For larger quantities of the rifle ammo I load I use progressive Dillons and as you say these are bit more expensive compared to the Lee.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

I'll shamelessly plug the Lee progressive I've got in the sales section here

However, as above do you want a progressive or a turret? I'm doing everything on an old Redding turret that will probably outlast me- nice thing is you can use it as a single stage- to be honest I use it this was the vast majority of the time. It's also *way* easier to change between calibers than a progressive.

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies, I’m definitely looking for a turret press, as I’m starting out so want to be more in the loop for each stage of the reloading process.
    Last edited by DannyT; 29-01-2022 at 11:19 AM.

The Lee turret press is great value for money , I’ve not heard of them going wrong other than the nylon hex nut may need to be replaced now and again.
    I can recommend the Lee breech lock pro press although not as quick to change calibers ,can be used as if it were a single station or turret press or a semi progressive & can also be used as a brass ‘ processing’ press like the Lee App press . if you get an underlever and LBP of the same calibre then no need to change dies
    Yes other makes are ‘ built’ better but bang for buck they can’t really be beaten.
    Hope this helps
    ATB
    James

Quote Originally Posted by JB101 View Post
    The Lee turret press is great value for money , I’ve not heard of them going wrong other than the nylon hex nut may need to be replaced now and again.
    I can recommend the Lee breech lock pro press although not as quick to change calibers ,can be used as if it were a single station or turret press or a semi progressive & can also be used as a brass ‘ processing’ press like the Lee App press . if you get an underlever and LBP of the same calibre then no need to change dies
    Yes other makes are ‘ built’ better but bang for buck they can’t really be beaten.
    Hope this helps
    ATB
    James
    That’s great thanks for the info, sounds like Lee are a good option from all the feedback on this thread. Many thanks.

I have been using a LEE turret and a Load Master for probably 15+ years, i like them, never felt the need to spend more.
    The LEE Reloading Manual is worth a read if your starting out.
    The Load Master is good but its a bit of a faff to set up and only worth doing for 500-1000 round runs, i use the turret for smaller quantities and experimenting, even for rifle.
    LEE are simple, no frills but they work.
    It depends why your reloading and how much your going to be doing,

The Lee Loadmaster is a beast. Fully upgraded still cheaper than the competition and throws a round on every pull.
    De-prime -> Prime & Re-Size -> Flare & Powder -> Seat bullet -> Crimp

Only issue I found was the availability of replacement feed fingers to seat the bullet heads (if you buy the bullet feeder option). They seem to be disposable parts at are hard to source in the UK.
    I just 3d print my own now as I need them.

Super happy with Lee though.

Here's another Lee Turret fan. I've got the 4-hole model for more than 10 years and never had any trouble with it. As said, great value for the money.
    Nature always tells the truth. It's up to us to understand what it is saying.

I use a Redding T7. Absolutely love it
    My karma ran over your dogma

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari_H View Post
    Here's another Lee Turret fan. I've got the 4-hole model for more than 10 years and never had any trouble with it. As said, great value for the money.
    Never got on with mine, I found the lever kept binding & need quite a bit of force. RCBS was much smoother.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

Is it true you can load 22 Hornet on the Lee Turret press. Or do Lee do a rifle turret press too. I use a Lee single stage press as the moment. Sometimes you see the Lee turret presses pretty cheap second hand. It would be useful not having to set up the dies every time, I load 223 as well.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

The Lee Classic turret press is capable of cases up to 3 1/16 (3.0625" or 77.7mm)
    I think if you look at the specs most the lee presses are capable of rifle rounds.

I think the Value one is designed for handgun rounds, not sure what the case OAL limit is on it.