Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turret press recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Solvo View Post
    The Lee Classic turret press is capable of cases up to 3 1/16 (3.0625" or 77.7mm)
    I think if you look at the specs most the lee presses are capable of rifle rounds.
    Yes, even the Lee Turret is OK with long bullets like the 30-06 and 303 but I have to take the auto index rod out and use it like a single stage as the turret tries to turn before the bullet has fully left the seating die. Not a big issue for the relatively small quantities I load of these cartridges.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

I use a Lee Turret and have been doing so for over 12 years. I've a (unused) Forster press and my lad's Hornady press which is already set up but I see no reason not to keep using the Lee. And I load 500 or so full bore cartridges a month.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDuncs View Post
    I use a Lee Turret and have been doing so for over 12 years. I've a (unused) Forster press and my lad's Hornady press which is already set up but I see no reason not to keep using the Lee. And I load 500 or so full bore cartridges a month.
    Thanks for the info. Is it a four hole or three hole press?

I still haven’t made a decision on which one to go for!

I think sometimes too much research can be a bad thing!
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22/BRNO Model 2/Remington 597/Buckmark/Marlin.44

Quote Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
    Thanks for the info. Is it a four hole or three hole press?

I still haven’t made a decision on which one to go for!

I think sometimes too much research can be a bad thing!
    Mine is a 4 hole press and I've turrets/dies for a number of different calibres.

I would never claim that it oozes quality but it most certainly does the job. And the turrets make things really simple and keeps the dies in one place per calibre!

Quote Originally Posted by sarge4318 View Post
    Yes, even the Lee Turret is OK with long bullets like the 30-06 and 303 but I have to take the auto index rod out and use it like a single stage as the turret tries to turn before the bullet has fully left the seating die. Not a big issue for the relatively small quantities I load of these cartridges.
    Hi Thank you for info. So just to clarify, do long as I manually index, the 3 and 4 hole Lee turret press will load 22 Hornet and 223 REM then. Cheers
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    Hi Thank you for info. So just to clarify, do long as I manually index, the 3 and 4 hole Lee turret press will load 22 Hornet and 223 REM then. Cheers
    The .223 will load with the index rod in, I haven't loaded Hornet but that is not a long round and shorter than the 223 so it should be an issue either.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

I'd agree with the Lee presses.. I've had my Pro 1000 since the late 80's and its still going strong, after churning out 1000's of .38, .45 and 9mm rounds.

Now it only does .38 and .45 colt, but still works fine. The only change/upgrade its had was the improved handle a few years ago.

For Rifle rounds I use a Lee classic single stage, works perfectly well, for a fraction of the cost of one of the big names...

Surely if the press self indexes it's a progressive press not a turret press

I've got a lee turret press, 4 hole I think, but I don't shoot enough CF to justify keeping it, been sat in the box for 3 years or so.
    I used it to reload K Hornet but sold the rifle & dies.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Surely if the press self indexes it's a progressive press not a turret press
    I believe a progressive press produces a round ever pull, it moves the cartridge to each successive station working on multiple cartridges each time, whereas a turret press moves the dies each pull working on only one cartridge at a time.

From an earlier post in this thread:
    https://ultimatereloader.com/getting...es-of-presses/

Lee classic cast 4 hole turret press

The one i use mate is a LEE CLASSIC CAST 4 HOLE TURRET PRESS i been loading 45/70, 308Win and 357mag loads too works fine for me had the press for over 10 years allways been spot on

I've had a Lyman (spar-t) turret press for over 40 years, still going strong. I currently only use it for 223 & 7.62. I did previously also use it for 243, 303 & 3006. Never an issue with it.
    I also use a Lee progressive for .357, it has its little foibles now & again but it does the job fairly well.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

I'd go Lee turret for pistol rounds.

If your loading lot pistol rounds make sure get the Lee TC dies, you dont have use lube with them

Thanks for the info and replies all.

I went for a second hand rcbs turret press in the end. I have always liked the shade of green. 😅

Took hold of it yesterday, it’s very well made and is sturdy as hell.

I’ve got a set of Lee carbide dies (3) to go with it.

I’m reading the ABC’s of reloading and there’s a recommendation about getting the Lee factory crimp die. However I’ve read online that people don’t seem to think they are needed, as the Lee die seats they bullet and crimps at the same time.

Could anyone possibly shed light on if a fourth die is really needed?

I’m happy to get one if it is worth it

Thanks.
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22/BRNO Model 2/Remington 597/Buckmark/Marlin.44

No, not for pistol ammo anyway. The seating die is fine when properly adjusted. I used to load a couple of hundred .357 and .44 a week some years ago never a problem apart from cleaning off bullet lube now and then. All the Lee stuff is fine apart from the powder scales---don't bother with them.