Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re buddy bottle test

Re buddy bottle test

I recently sold a Bsa super ten, although it worked fine for what ever reason the lad I sold it to took it to his local gun shop for a service and they confiscated his buddy bottle because it were out of test 2002 apparently is the test date on it, to be honest I never knew they had to have a test like a charging bottle, I’ve seen loads of buddy bottles for sale but I’ve never seen mention a test date on them, has anyone else had any test date issues with buddy bottles?

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Under 500cc they don't need a test.

Somebody is trying it on.
    Master Debater

That`s not confiscation,, That`s plain theft. Tell him to go back for it..

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Under 500cc they don't need a test.

Somebody is trying it on.

Your right it is not law but luxfer recommend you re test them after 10 years
    I worked there many years a go so thing may have changed now?

Buddy bottle

Thanks for the info 👍

Definitely dodgy somewhere along the way, when I've had cylinders fail test before (some old BA cylinders that failed visual) I've been given the condemned cylinders back, or at least the option to take them away. IIRC I emptied them, the valves were taken out and they were weighed in.

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    Quote Originally Posted by moonshiner View Post
    I recently sold a Bsa super ten, although it worked fine for what ever reason the lad I sold it to took it to his local gun shop for a service and they confiscated his buddy bottle because it were out of test 2002 apparently is the test date on it, to be honest I never knew they had to have a test like a charging bottle, I’ve seen loads of buddy bottles for sale but I’ve never seen mention a test date on them, has anyone else had any test date issues with buddy bottles?
    Wasn't to a guy in or near Peterborough was it? A certain dive place there is notorious for it's ability to fail bottles for various reasons and then refuse to return the bits, or demand money for replacement parts without allowing the owner to confirm their decision.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JerryD View Post
    Wasn't to a guy in or near Peterborough was it? A certain dive place there is notorious for it's ability to fail bottles for various reasons and then refuse to return the bits, or demand money for replacement parts without allowing the owner to confirm their decision.
    Get trading standards on to them.

Must be a few rapids with old bottles on.Atb mick

Quote Originally Posted by mdunn View Post

Probably goes for any pcp bottle or cylinder Mick, Cost people a fortune to keep changing or retesting cylinders and bottles when they ran out of date, How could we even make it compulsory Some guys at the club might fill his rifle 50 times a week and some guys just fill once a month.
    Thats not forgetting though that any 2nd hand pcp stuff thats bought seems like we just fill them and use them without any consideration about what the previous sellers may have put them through or if it may blow up the first time you refill it.. It dont even enter our minds. Scary when we think about it.
    I still get to use pcp stuff from the 1800s, Think its taken for granted that its ok until it goes wrong..
    Thankfully though there seems to be very few catastrophic blowouts.

Definitely out of order to confiscate a buddy bottle, unlike dive bottles which have to be confiscated by law if they are not fit for purpose. I recently had 2no 15litre dive bottles tested and had to sign an agreement to agree to the same. I also have 2no buddy bottles at 21 years old and I am getting a bit worried about filling them, but the problem is I have been informed that it costs the same as a dive bottle to have them tested which in my case was just short of £60 each.

Buddy bottle

The lad I sold the gun to lives in Luton, he said he’s asked three other gun shops what they would do, they all said they would confiscate it apparently but also said they would give him the opportunity to get it re tested but told him it could be as expensive as a new buddy bottle 🤷🏻♂️, any way my pal has a bottle he’s giving the lad I’m posting it later, I’ll be telling him not to go near the gun shop with it 😆, the lad went back the day after to get his bottle back and they told him it had already gone for destruction 🤔, a bit of bullshite I think

Bottle

Quote Originally Posted by mdunn View Post
    It were that superten Mick, nowt wrong with it, I’ve had that rapid done too, I’m fetching it later today, had the barrel blued and that long silencer shortened, powder coated and fitted and he’s put new seals in and it’s doing 11.8 ftlb now

Christ this has made me stop and think now.. i got 3 bsa buddy bottles and havent even considered getting them tested the oldest being dated 1998 but they are less than 500cc, they are due some new bottle valves but now im wondering if its worth just buying some carbon buddies...

That's good baz send me pics of the rapid,Atb mick