Thread: HW95 - optimal setup?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

HW95 - optimal setup?

The "bouncy" thread has become a classic: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-bouncy/page16

But it makes me wonder; does anyone have any suggestions for an "optimal" setup for the HW95, keeping the stroke length original?
    I'd like to find an "non-bouncy" setup, looking for a pleasant shotcycle while minimizing hold sensitivity- call it the best balanced setup possible without altering stroke or port diameter. All I want to work with are springs, piston weights and washers...

This may be FAC territory, so perhaps not open for discussion on here, but in Norway we dont have energy restrictions.

I've worked on a .177" HW 95 since I bought one back around 2009. A lot of springs, washers and piston weights have been tried, but I have never landed the "perfect" setup- so any creative or experienced thoughts are welcome!
    Too many airguns!

HW95L setup

My 95 .22 started to have POI problems so I ordered an ARH kit and a Vortek piston seal per suggestions on the GTA forum. My new, (2019), 95 had a burned seal that I believe was caused by over lubing at the factory. The ARH kit & Vortek seal gives an average of 716 FPS, (H&N FTT 14.66), over 15 shots and the POI has returned where my wife & I can again shoot MOS at 25 yards from our back deck. This is the OEM seal that was replaced. The ARH kit I used had a top hat, spring & guide and I also did a through clean and re-lube with GPL-205.

Shot sound & recoil after kit install.

https://youtu.be/bywPFmB2_ZM

I think I’d refer you to the earlier, classic, thread which suggests that the “optimal set-up” is curiously elusive.

My gut feeling is that the 85/95/98 runs best at 14-15 ft-lbs. But, while it is good, the knack to making it excellent remains unclear.

If you want a really great 85/95, buy an old FWB Sport instead.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    My full length .22 at 10.5 ft/lb with a 12mm stroke reduction was not bouncy. It is now at 15 ft/lb with the full stroke and still isn't bouncy.

Still experimenting with my .177 hw95.Running fine at the moment but needs more range time to check the accuracy up to 45 yards.
    My .22 hw95 is superb in everyway but it was tuned by wonky donky and to me perfection has been found here.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    My full length .22 at 10.5 ft/lb with a 12mm stroke reduction was not bouncy. It is now at 15 ft/lb with the full stroke and still isn't bouncy.
    exactly this. stroke reduction for 12 FP, or run it at 15

full length stoke and weak 12 FP spring is a crap combination...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post

Not, please, restarting the earlier thread, but why is the blasted thing so not great above 11 and below 14? Unlike the FWB, Diana 34 series, etc? Why does it have an “un-sweet” spot around the U.K. legal limit? Why don’t the rivals have that thing going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post

Do you have a spring and piston weight recommendation at that power level?
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Dad has a full power .22, I should probably shoot that a bit more. The one I'm working on is a .177...
    Too many airguns!