Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HW95 - optimal setup?

HW95 - optimal setup?

The "bouncy" thread has become a classic: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-bouncy/page16

But it makes me wonder; does anyone have any suggestions for an "optimal" setup for the HW95, keeping the stroke length original?
    I'd like to find an "non-bouncy" setup, looking for a pleasant shotcycle while minimizing hold sensitivity- call it the best balanced setup possible without altering stroke or port diameter. All I want to work with are springs, piston weights and washers...

This may be FAC territory, so perhaps not open for discussion on here, but in Norway we dont have energy restrictions.

I've worked on a .177" HW 95 since I bought one back around 2009. A lot of springs, washers and piston weights have been tried, but I have never landed the "perfect" setup- so any creative or experienced thoughts are welcome!
    Too many airguns!

HW95L setup

My 95 .22 started to have POI problems so I ordered an ARH kit and a Vortek piston seal per suggestions on the GTA forum. My new, (2019), 95 had a burned seal that I believe was caused by over lubing at the factory. The ARH kit & Vortek seal gives an average of 716 FPS, (H&N FTT 14.66), over 15 shots and the POI has returned where my wife & I can again shoot MOS at 25 yards from our back deck. This is the OEM seal that was replaced. The ARH kit I used had a top hat, spring & guide and I also did a through clean and re-lube with GPL-205.

Shot sound & recoil after kit install.

https://youtu.be/bywPFmB2_ZM

I think I’d refer you to the earlier, classic, thread which suggests that the “optimal set-up” is curiously elusive.

My gut feeling is that the 85/95/98 runs best at 14-15 ft-lbs. But, while it is good, the knack to making it excellent remains unclear.

If you want a really great 85/95, buy an old FWB Sport instead.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    My full length .22 at 10.5 ft/lb with a 12mm stroke reduction was not bouncy. It is now at 15 ft/lb with the full stroke and still isn't bouncy.

Still experimenting with my .177 hw95.Running fine at the moment but needs more range time to check the accuracy up to 45 yards.
    My .22 hw95 is superb in everyway but it was tuned by wonky donky and to me perfection has been found here.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    My full length .22 at 10.5 ft/lb with a 12mm stroke reduction was not bouncy. It is now at 15 ft/lb with the full stroke and still isn't bouncy.
    exactly this. stroke reduction for 12 FP, or run it at 15

full length stoke and weak 12 FP spring is a crap combination...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post

Not, please, restarting the earlier thread, but why is the blasted thing so not great above 11 and below 14? Unlike the FWB, Diana 34 series, etc? Why does it have an “un-sweet” spot around the U.K. legal limit? Why don’t the rivals have that thing going on?

Do you have a spring and piston weight recommendation at that power level?
    Too many airguns!

Dad has a full power .22, I should probably shoot that a bit more. The one I'm working on is a .177...
    Too many airguns!

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Not, please, restarting the earlier thread, but why is the blasted thing so not great above 11 and below 14? Unlike the FWB, Diana 34 series, etc? Why does it have an “un-sweet” spot around the U.K. legal limit? Why don’t the rivals have that thing going on?
    Mine is .22 and I chose to run it at 10.5. If I had wanted 11.5 I would've used a 10mm extension and the 8mm would probably be perfect for 13. It is just altering the swept volume to the desired power to get the piston travelling as fast as it wants rather than hobbling it with a weak spring.

The competition are as bad, if not worse. Take the new FWB sport and it's comedy piston and stroke for example, most of Diana's offerings, or even Hatsan with there 135(?) Patriot copy.

From memory, the only really good sub 12 full power rifles are the HW99/Diana 280 (10.5 optimum in .177), the mk1&2 TX200 and the 25mm HW77/97

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Do you have a spring and piston weight recommendation at that power level?
    for 12 Fp long .22 barrel 12mm reduction in stroke, or 10mm for .177 You can increase stroke by 2mm if you like softer shooting, or if you have a carbine barrel.

Piston weight I left as is, as they are 26mm, so need to be a little more mass than say a TX

Spring - it was the one in the second drawer of my big spring box, just behind the one that was too short, on top of the one that was too covered in greease to touch. hope that helps
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

From memory, the only really good sub 12 full power rifles are the HW99/Diana 280 (10.5 optimum in .177), the mk1&2 TX200 and the 25mm HW77/97
    and the crosman phantom

Soooo.... new way to attack the problem.

I just turned up a set of guides for Maccaris/ARHs "QX4600" spring to use in the HW95. This spring can be spaced up for power in the 95, or kept unspaced. My 26mm 77k is currently running on the same spring, and after experimenting with spacing to get the best recoil characteristics, it ended at around 10,5fpe.
    Over the summer I'll shoot the 95 with this spring, and experiment with spacing the spring up and down, to try and find a sweet spot for hold sensitivity/accuracy. I wont even look at the chrono numbers until the "best" setup is found... Remember, no power limits over here.
    Too many airguns!

and the crosman phantom
    And the FWB124/127, the Webley Longbow, and the BSF B55?

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Soooo.... new way to attack the problem.

I just turned up a set of guides for Maccaris/ARHs "QX4600" spring to use in the HW95. This spring can be spaced up for power in the 95, or kept unspaced. My 26mm 77k is currently running on the same spring, and after experimenting with spacing to get the best recoil characteristics, it ended at around 10,5fpe.
    Over the summer I'll shoot the 95 with this spring, and experiment with spacing the spring up and down, to try and find a sweet spot for hold sensitivity/accuracy. I wont even look at the chrono numbers until the "best" setup is found... Remember, no power limits over here.
    Sounding good, evert.. I'll look up the specs for that spring. It will be most interesting to read of your later findings and results of accuracy / hold sensitivity tests. Have fun testing away.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!