Thread: HW98 stock - how much??

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day

HW98 stock - how much??

Two hundred and sixty pounds apparently!
    At this rate I'd be better off waiting for a 2nd hand one to come up on here, or buying a new rifle for £100 more and breaking it up for parts!

Anyone know of any other sources for one online that can beat £260?

Wouldn't even have to mess around with this if they didn't sell the HW95k (that has no open sights) with such a daft low-combed stock...
    Good deals with these members

Customstock website is currently showing stocks from £240 - and you get a much better stock for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vernal View Post
    Customstock website is currently showing stocks from £240 - and you get a much better stock for that.
    That's plus VAT, and not with an adjustable comb either!
    Their model with an adjustable comb is £468 inc VAT and doesn't really look like I'd want to take it hunting...

Probably better buying a new one, swapping on a s/h 95 stock, selling it on
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    Probably better buying a new one, swapping on a s/h 95 stock, selling it on
    Thinking that tbh, but I'm hopeless at selling guns so would probably just end up with another in the vault

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    It's quite a big clumsy thing, probably better just getting a comb riser for your 95 or whatever you were planning to mate up the 98 to.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    It's quite a big clumsy thing, probably better just getting a comb riser for your 95 or whatever you were planning to mate up the 98 to.
    I assumed a lot of the weight of the 98 that people commented on/complained about was the barrel end, but the stock is a bit of a lump too is it?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    I assumed a lot of the weight of the 98 that people commented on/complained about was the barrel end, but the stock is a bit of a lump too is it?
    I bought a secondhand 98 stock at some point for my Mk I HW85. It was damaged a bit so it was relatively cheap at £90.

The thing is a 'semi-target' stock which basically means it does the job of a sporter stock badly, and that of a target stock badly as well.

If it was a target stock it would have a nice verticle pistol grip to ensure the trigger press is in a good straight line along the axis of the rifle. This would also help reduce the trigger reach, always a problem with HWs.

But it doesn't, it has a slightly less angled sporter type grip. The trigger is still too far away for a nice consistent straight line pull.

The fore-end ought to be deep for target shooting, but it is neither deep nor slim, kind of fat and too long. And it has those hideous, pointless 'stadium' finger-grip cuts in it.

The cheek-piece is adjustable, but you can get that fitted to ANY stock for way less than the arm and a leg the whole stock costs. I used the cut sole of a flip-flop when I was a teenager taped on with duct tape and it worked fine.

The recoil pad butt plate similarly is adjustable but there isn't a length of pull adjustment which is just as important.

In the end I sold it as it was ugly and not really that good for anything.

A CS800 stock, which comes with an adjustable buttpad, is about £300 with VAT and much better for a target rifle use. That would be way more comfortable and usable for the range.

If you want it for hunting, just pick out a nice secondhand 95 stock and mod it yourself. A cheekpiece riser is £34 off the bay, if you really need one (like it you use scopes with different height mounts) or you can just fit a higher comb. A Rowan set-back trigger blade, a Bisley adjustable butt-pad, some quick work with a fret saw some sandpaper and you'll be the envy of 98 shooters all over. If you want it to look 98-esque then stipple the hell out of it with a smoothed nail and a hammer, then apply black wood dye to the fields of stipple.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 05-02-2022 at 12:19 AM.

The 95k is already wearing a Bisley, and an extra setback rowan trigger for it arrived yesterday (now I've got it shooting how I like it I'm throwing a bit of bling it's way), all I wanted the 98 stock for was the adjustable comb - I certainly don't want it for its aesthetics

I was looking at the cheek riser slip on things on the bay but I wasn't sure how solid they would be in use...

Decision made, I'm going to attempt to cut and fit an adjustable comb to that B2 first - low cost of failure if it goes wrong.
    If it goes well then I'll jump in with both feet on the 95k and 30S. If it all goes pear shaped then I'll settle for a slip on and save up my pennies to get someone else to do it.
    Thanks for the advice.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    there's a chap on here who does cheekpieces - cutting your existing stock and fitting a riser unit. Really neat work.

Might have been Rich, I can't recall now...

Also I think Warren Edwards might do them, as would any of the other stockmakers on here.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

It is Rich. He's just finishing off some work on his new place as he's moved but you can contact him on here using him username Rich.
    Last edited by bootneckbob; 05-02-2022 at 11:45 AM.
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500