Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First black powder certificate inspection

First black powder certificate inspection

I’ve just received a call for an inspection for my first black powder certificate.
    I have the correct box that is locked and hazard marked unsecured in a bedroom wardrobe.
    Would that be ok?
    Also should I get an anti-static mat for reloading my 45-70 with bp?
    I had been using 777 in my Remington nma, but that now needs a license.
    Thank you
    CZ455 American .22LR, Marlin 1894 .357 and 1935 8mm Mauser K98k S42/G (RC), Remy .308 AICS, RPR 6.5 creedmoor, no4 1* LB 1943, NRA RCO

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul101 View Post
    I’ve just received a call for an inspection for my first black powder certificate.
    I have the correct box that is locked and hazard marked unsecured in a bedroom wardrobe.
    Would that be ok?
    Thank you
    Forces vary in their expectation for security. Mine requires the box to be secured in a way that allows it's easy removal by the owner (in case of fire) and this usually means chaining it to something with a padlock.

Anti static mat - never felt the need myself provided the powder handling tools etc are made of suitable materials. I don't think that 777 is static sensitive, it can't hurt though. Think about how you will deal with the inevitable powder spills.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

I’ll be still using my 777, but also when it runs out I’ll go to using bp 2f for my rolling block and 3f for my nma👍
    CZ455 American .22LR, Marlin 1894 .357 and 1935 8mm Mauser K98k S42/G (RC), Remy .308 AICS, RPR 6.5 creedmoor, no4 1* LB 1943, NRA RCO

Would that be ok?
    Thank you
    As Turnup said forces have different levels of security.

I believe that it is recommended that the box is secured with a small lock and chain to prevent anyone picking it up and taking it away. The days of being able to chuck it out of the window in case of fire have gone.
    I don't think they like the box kept in a wardrobe or cupboard.
    It must not be above or adjacent to an exit in case of fire.Nor can it be stored under the stairs for the same reason.

They do like the box to be kept out of sight from visitors.

The best option is let them tell you what they want.

Regarding the anti-static mat. I don't think you need one. But, obviously, if you feel safer with one then it cannot do any harm. I wrote to the HSE as I was concerned about static caused by decanting blackpowder to and from plastic bottles. They said they did not consider this an issue and had no record of it causing any problems.

I’ve just sent an email to my local licensing dept about the securing of the box by chain and it’s location.
    Awaiting a reply, but it is Friday.
    Thank you
    Last edited by Paul101; 04-02-2022 at 04:39 PM.

I’ve just sent an email to my local licensing dept about the securing of the box by chain and it’s location.
    Awaiting a reply, but it is Friday.
    Thank you
    Have you had a reply?

Don't over think it. When they turn up, as long as you have the correct box, they will advise you of the best place to store it in their opinion. It makes them feel important if nothing else!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    Don't over think it. When they turn up, as long as you have the correct box, they will advise you of the best place to store it in their opinion. It makes them feel important if nothing else!
    I agree with the above. I bought an approved wooden box to store Hodgdon 777 BP substitute which I located in an unsecure cupboard and came with some self adhesive hazard labels not appropriate for 777. My FEO didn't have a problem with the box being temporally unlabeled until I could source the correctly annotated ones and there was no problem with the location or a securing chain being needed for the box.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 11-02-2022 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    I agree with the above. I bought an approved wooden box to store Hodgdon 777 BP substitute which I located in an unsecure cupboard and came with some self adhesive hazard labels not appropriate for 777. My FEO didn't have a problem with the box being temporally unlabeled until I could source the correctly annotated ones and there was no problem with the location or a securing chain being needed for the box.

Brian
    Another example of the local FEO making up laws as he goes along. There is actually no requirement to annotate the box at all. I send UN0027 (BP) labels with my boxes as some people like them and the fire service like to know what they are handling, but some forces reckon it just advertises what's in the box. The same goes for painting them. Some forces have no problem and others think it might help the box to burn. You really can't win.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    Another example of the local FEO making up laws as he goes along. There is actually no requirement to annotate the box at all. I send UN0027 (BP) labels with my boxes as some people like them and the fire service like to know what they are handling, but some forces reckon it just advertises what's in the box. The same goes for painting them. Some forces have no problem and others think it might help the box to burn. You really can't win.
    To be fair it was me who mentioned that the labels I had were incorrect and not a requirement insisted on by the FEO. I only applied for an Explosive Certificate as my FAC was due for renewal and Hodgdon 777 substitute had just been reclassified as an explosive. The process was straight forward, and the certificate was returned with my renewed FAC. The only problem now is that many dealers are not bothering to stock 777 anymore due to the predicted low demand following its reclassification.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    To be fair it was me who mentioned that the labels I had were incorrect and not a requirement insisted on by the FEO. I only applied for an Explosive Certificate as my FAC was due for renewal and Hodgdon 777 substitute had just been reclassified as an explosive. The process was straight forward, and the certificate was returned with my renewed FAC. The only problem now is that many dealers are not bothering to stock 777 anymore due to the predicted low demand following its reclassification.

Brian
    I suspect that dealers not stocking it is not due to low demand.
    Kranks cannot store blackpowder on the premises anymore so it has to be ordered in advance of a visit to the shop. I expect all other dealers are affected the same way.

Another obstacle to contend with.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    I suspect that dealers not stocking it is not due to low demand.
    Kranks cannot store blackpowder on the premises anymore so it has to be ordered in advance of a visit to the shop. I expect all other dealers are affected the same way.

Another obstacle to contend with.
    Fortunately, I also have an Anvil nitro conversion Remington 1858 revolver which means I should always have something to shoot if BP and BP substitutes become even harder to source.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    Have you had a reply?
    Nope
    But got my visit tomorrow

Interview went all ok.
    Box type, location and reason all ok.
    The box did not need to be secured only locked and out of the way.
    He was a very pleasant man and said I should recieve my licence in 2-3 weeks.

I asked about my fac renewal in June and he said get it in soon.
    That’s Cambs, Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire .

And Triple7 has to be on it.

Smile

Interview went all ok.
    Box type, location and reason all ok.
    The box did not need to be secured only locked and out of the way.
    He was a very pleasant man and said I should recieve my licence in 2-3 weeks.

I asked about my fac renewal in June and he said get it in soon.
    That’s Cambs, Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire .

And Triple7 has to be on it.
    Well done. They are 'usually' very helpful. Now you have your magic ticket just use proper black powder and forget that horrible plastic stuff. It's much nicer!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi