Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
I can't contribute much to this as I've only ever seen a couple of Bugelspanners(spelling?) & read a couple of articles on them but I'd be interested to learn a bit more about them as its an area I have little knowledge or experience of.

From an inexperienced perspective I guess quality might well have varied but some look to be highly decorated & therefore I guess expensive when new. With different makers were some more reliable than others? How did the mechanisms evolve with time is there a traceable chronological progression? How durable were they in terms of mechanical reliability.... Springs etc. were there makers who supplied actions to stock makers, or we're they produced 'in house'? Just interested, so any replies or suggestion of books/ articles welcome.
Its an interestesting subject with plenty of room for educated guesses due to the passage of time but some examples may still be about in collections. I have always thought the were not made by ordinary gunsmiths but a group apart as many are "unfirearm like".