Thread: HW30 as a match rifle

HW30 as a match rifle

Does anyone use an HW30 as a match rifle? If it had a match stock and diopter fitted would it ever equate to an HW55?

Heugher,

I first put my HW30S in a Warren Edwards stock :

Now lives in a Tom Davies stock (top rifle in below) :

Accuracy wise, my HW30S is not quite up to the level of HW55s I have shot - in my case, it is because the breech on my HW30S is oversized.

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Nice stocks there Russ.

I use my 30 in the mpl league, its a cheapish fun rifle, only answer to your question is to shoot one & see how you get on

The '30 action can be made quite smooth and sweet so no problem there but the sporter stock is the limiting factor. Mine took a lot of tweaking to get anywhere near a comfortable fit and, in hindsight, I wish I'd saved a bit extra and got a s/h pukka 10m rifle from the start.

I don't know how much that rather lovely stock Phatman has would cost (I'm guessing quality like that doesn't come cheap) but I bet tallying up the cost of the stock, HW30, sights and accessories would easily bring you into good condition FWB 300/600 country.
    Last edited by Brimfire; 13-02-2022 at 02:38 PM.
    Ignoring is bliss.

Brimfire,
    Quote Originally Posted by Brimfire View Post
    but I bet tallying up the cost of the stock, HW30, sights and accessories would easily bring you into good condition FWB 300/600 country.
    Sadly, yes it does !!

Another example : I set myself the task of making a modern facsimile of the Walter LG55/LGV 10m springers, using an HW95 SuperMatch as a base.

The rifle shoots superbly - better even than my LG55 & LGV - however, it ended up costing twice what a good LG55 or LGV would !

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

A Labour of Love

Nice job Russ, but I'm sure a labour of love rather than a practical exercise!

And I know the feeling, I'm in process of building a .223 300 mt rifle, that with a trigger switch is TR eligable, using a 50 year old Sportco 7.62 M44 action, I started in 2019, thinking it would be a few months!
    Then Covid, with three lock downs, hampering getting the .223 bolt head and extractor from Australia, I used the superb walnut from a Walther UIT prone stock from the 1980's and spent the waits whittling it into my modern design, I then spent months in my workshop making adjustable length parts, and a multi adjustable and folding cheek piece, a superb blend of polished alloy and Walnut, whilst still waiting for the parts from Australia 18 months later due to their lock downs!
    Then end of last year they all came together, parts from Australia arrived, yeehaa, and I was instantly deflated to find that Barlein barrels had gone from a few months delivery to a year, and mine was still in the queue!!!!

Its arrived, and now still waiting as proof is now running at a month!

It will be very special, a modern multi adjustable rifle made from a 50 year old action, in the wood from a 50 year old stock, even the Hart trigger was supplied by Malcolm Cooper 40 years ago, Ok it will have new barrel and sights and accesories, and it will shoot superbly, as well as any of my new trick tack drivers, and its probably cost as much as a new one would, but like your HW, its been a labour of love, and I'm glad to know I'm not the only daft old fart out there!

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?