Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brake fluid

Ormicron,

I use synthetic 30wt motorcycle fork oil (Silkolene) for my SSP & CO2 rifles & pistols.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by elanmac View Post
    Silicone brakefluid is dot 5. I used it for years in my Elan. No rusty brake cylinders just slightly softer brake pedal. It is used extensively by the American army for stored vehicles as it is not hydroscopic unlike mineral fluid.
    PS. also not inflammable

Mac
    That's interesting .Did your Elan have a servo ? I have been advised by Nick Adams ( top Lotus bloke ) not to use Dot 5 as it is not compatible with the servo .

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    I would be very surprised it brake fluid is suitable, so take this advise with a pinch of salt. I believe it strips paint.

I wonder if he was confusing it with ATF (automatic transmission fluid) which if I remember correctly is what Crosman Pellgun oil is reputed to be?

Rich.

Read the MSDS sheet for Crosman Pellgun oil!!!! . It is reputed to be many things but most of them are fairy stories.

Crosmans own information can be cross referenced to straight SAE 30 weight mineral motor oil. That is what pelgun oil actually is.
    Last edited by WebleyWombler; 21-02-2022 at 04:12 PM. Reason: spelling

After reading the Crosman MSDS, I got a litre bottle of SAE30 a few years ago from Wickes of all places for a fiver, labelled "lawnmower oil". I heard the reason it is suitable for co2 pistols is that it does not contain any detergents.

Still got most of it left.
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    After reading the Crosman MSDS, I got a litre bottle of SAE30 a few years ago from Wickes of all places for a fiver, labelled "lawnmower oil". I heard the reason it is suitable for co2 pistols is that it does not contain any detergents.

I've a gallon of the stuff somewhere in the garage!, A mate bought the wrong stuff and gave it to me for my lawn mower!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Straight SAE30 mineral oil is reputedly what Webley supplied for their bronze piston-ring range of air rifles and air pistols in the Webley branded tins and later plastic dropper bottles.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    My mate drinks brake fluid.
    His doctor has warned him that it's addictive - but he's told him "I can stop anytime."
    Have you not been BANNED
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post

I used 30 weight lawnmover oil to lube up a Daisy 44 revolver that got new seals some time ago.
    Mostly as an experiment, as the "30-weight non detergent" talk is on all the forums...
    Havent used the gun much, but I'll be sure to report over here if theres ever any problems with the seals.
    Too many airguns!

Well I think we have cleared up a few things. When I used to do my own maintenance brake fluid was known for stripping paint etc. I guess things have moved on.
    Also now know pellgun oil is not ATF.
    Every day is a school day
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    I think you will find that Crossman Pellgun oil, used to keep the seals of CO2 guns fresh IS a blend of hydraulic brake fluid and some sot of light motor oil.

the stuff they sell now is monolec sae 30 marine diesel oil i'm told that in the earlier years it was another make of oil and a few of the old timers in the US said it had changed over the years
    for what it is it's well dear but people get indoctined to use only genuine pell gun oil but tbh if you have engine oil/hydraulic oil/gearbox oil /powersteering fluid in your shed for your car then you can use it to lube the cart seal and excessive use of any oil can gum up the valve ,this is more so on pumpers as people tend to go over the top and lube it excessivly