Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: customised airsporter

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    TBH there were some early HW80 stocks which featured on Venom custom rifles which had a hideous pistol grip thing going on like that.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I'm sure the man was skilled but hideous is precisely the right word for that one John!

Kind regards,

John
    Hi John

Not all of his work was so darned fugly, He made or customised this one that I now have and I reckon it's lovely!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

If this thread is crowdsourcing opinions, we're all agreed, Don Robinson's 'Airsporter' is absolutely hideous. He's taken one of the most beautiful air rifles ever produced and made it really awful. Yet the owner presumably paid at least £500 for it. Personally I wouldn't give it house room if you gave it to me for nothing.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi John

Not all of his work was so darned fugly, He made or customised this one that I now have and I reckon it's lovely!!

John
    I know - that is really nice example John. Tastefully done.

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi John

John
    As I said in 'the other place', John, Don Robinson was having a bad day when he did that, and accidentally made a tasteful stock.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    As I said in 'the other place', John, Don Robinson was having a bad day when he did that, and accidentally made a tasteful stock.
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    it really is, Danny. A beautiful stock and that grip-cap is a master of restraint and subtlety. Maybe the chap was just larger than life and enjoyed a full palette of expression? One day he'd spray a Tube train with a giant garish day-glo tag, the next, engrave the Lord's Prayer on a grain of rice....

urx is offline 2,602.00 GBP −10.00 (0.38%) at the close
    I genuinely got a little bit of sick at the back of my throat there
    So much skill so badly used….
    Gun control means using both hands.

Airsporter

The owner who is selling it is just a guy who buys and sells airguns for a quick profit. He likes to buy venom's etc and then does videos and tries to sell them for big money. Mach 1.5

He may well have burnt his fingers on this one.
    The work isn't of a level to add anything. Not all creations are.
    Finding any buyer would be an achievement at any price.

Reminds me of the gold HW35s that were done. Too bling, and done for the fun of it. But don't add value.

Custom rifles worth depends on the market which generally doesn't like it as most buyers want their list of custom work, not someone else's. Its the path of the custom work to your desire that is the value to you, not the work itself. Which is why custom work rarely returns the cost of it all if sold on.

Venom and Mastersport are peculiar as they attract historic appeal and well known. Its the innovation from a certain time that these hold.
    Unknown work means nothing.

A glorious rifle with fabulous wood may well hold some value. Master craftsmen produce a lot of rubbish before they master their art. A few never actually get there.
    This rifle isn't glorious or fabulous as the work isn't to a high enough standard and all too muddled. Looks like it was a concept piece to practice ideas on, and ended up as a mess. Which doesn't matter but doesn't give it value either.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    He may well have burnt his fingers on this one.
    I think his fingers were already metaphorically burned stumps, reputation-wise.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery