Thread: External regulator V Internal Regulator.

External regulator V Internal Regulator.

I'm looking at getting a regulator for my AA S200 .177 and have seen both internal and external regulators for sale. I know the external adds a bit of length to the cylinder but apart from that which is the better option to go for and which make would you recommend. I've seen Lanes, Huma and Altaros for sale but on a S200 in .22 I have it has a Tench external regulator fitted but I can't find any of those for sale. It looks like the external are easier to fit and I'd also look at fitting a quick fill and pressure gauge on the other end of the cylinder.
    What regulator brand and pressure gauge would you recommend?
    Thanks.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I use an Altaros internal regulator and quickfill/gauge in my .22 S200.

I chose the the Altaros one because I did not want to drill a breather hole in my cylinder and nor did I want to extend the cylinder or move the weight bias forward.
    I have to say it works very well and despite losing internal volume the number of shots has gone from 40 shots within 10 fps to just over 70.
    You do have balance the firing valve, hammer spring and regulator pressure however to get the best results - but there's plenty of info out there to help you.
    If it ever went wrong, I would happily buy another.

I also chose the Altaros quickfill/pressure gauge and while it works well and is accurate, I maybe would try something else if it ever went wrong.
    Firstly, the probe hole did not come with a blanking piece to keep any dirt out - I had to make my own.
    Secondly, the probe uses very small o rings that are easily damaged.
    However, it was a while ago when I bought mine and they may have improved the design?
    Otherwise I have seen ones with larger probes and rotating collars and I would probably try one of those instead.

The only other piece of advise I'd offer is to either buy the proper end fitting removal tool (or make one that copies it) as the cylinder end fittings can be bastard tight if they've never been off before...!

Hope that helps

Huma external on my .177 CZ200T easy fit and no issues.
    It has been in about a year now.
    85 bar and 80 shots with minimal hammer.
    Dont know about the other brands.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Get an external one. You can take it off when you realise you didn't need one in the first place and it's a pita.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

CZ200T Reg.

Not enough useful consistent shots in std form for me.
    Mine is now a FT gun and need to check zero and then clear a course.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Have a word with Phil at RATWorks he should be able to make a Tench external reg for you. He also makes quickfill ends with gauges.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!