Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gimme a sugestion or two

I had an Alecto a few years ago and did quite like it. Didn’t have it for long because I was more interested in rifle. Now I just fancy having a cheap pistol for a bit of back garden target plinking when its easier than getting rifle out / heading to club.
    Theoben Evolution .177 with MTC Viper
    "Tell me something, friend. Have you ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight?"

We've been round and round here, if you're not budgeting for an HW45 get an HW40.

I love my HW45s, my HW40 and my HW70.

I also love my Brummy Tempest.

And I also love my Crosman multi-pump 1377s. Very accurate and versatile and supported by an excellent tuning / customising community.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I was looking at the 1377 on YouTube last night. Seemed to have some decent reviews
    "Tell me something, friend. Have you ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight?"

The 1377 is good but needs some work.
    As standard they are running about 3ftlbs but can be turned up to mid 5's with minimal effort.
    The trigger is pretty poor, but again in typical Crosman style can be tweaked easily at no additional cost.

Have you looked at the 2240? They are very accurate and 5ftlb odd out of the box. As for the 1377 the trigger needs sorting but otherwise they are sound.

I’ve looked at 2240 quite a few times and heard good things about them. Only thing putting me off is the co2. Same reason I got rid of pcp rifle, it’s so much easier just grabbing rifle and going for shoot. Not carting extra dice bottle / making sure it’s filled etc.

It would sods law fancy a shoot and out of co2. So figure spring or pneumatic is the way to go.

I do like the 2240 though 😃

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrivejack View Post
    I’ve looked at 2240 quite a few times and heard good things about them. Only thing putting me off is the co2. Same reason I got rid of pcp rifle, it’s so much easier just grabbing rifle and going for shoot. Not carting extra dice bottle / making sure it’s filled etc.

It would sods law fancy a shoot and out of co2. So figure spring or pneumatic is the way to go.

I do like the 2240 though 😃
    No more reason to be out of 12g CO2 cartridges than out of pellets and two cartridges is no more bulky than a tin of pellets in the pocket.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Hw45 is very solidly built and has a fun factor

The HW40 is fantastic but mind your fingers and nipples!

I also like the 2240. I have two of them. One bog standard, the other mildly modded - "mini-carbined" with the Crosman shoulder stock, steel breech and 4x32 scope.

Nice and accurate. And, standing out even more in its standard pistol guise, packs a very satisfying punch on reactive targets. As said above, maybe not too much risk of running out of gas due to excellent shot count and easy portability of spare capsules. The only negatives for me are the performance fluctuations due to temperature and I prefer not to store with a capsule on board, so if I'm only having a short play I prefer my self-contained pistols.

And I'd love its classier .177 stablemate, the 2300T, with its longer barrel, standard steel breech and MiM rearsight.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Reevo17 View Post

Lol!. Once you have the knack, not an issue, though. And I find the 40 SO easy to shoot tiny, tiny groups with, due to its recoilless powerplant and superb, crisp trigger.

And you just have to LOVE the big-bruiser appeal, mechanical clackety clank and the amazing beautiful, dieselly whiff of the 45.

What shot count do you get in 2240?

Quote Originally Posted by Reevo17 View Post

Hah hah! I've lost count of the number of times I've had to pull my T-shirt out of the gun!

Just got a Veraki 177 same as Alecto.

I had an Alecto a few years ago and did quite like it. Didn’t have it for long because I was more interested in rifle. Now I just fancy having a cheap pistol for a bit of back garden target plinking when its easier than getting rifle out / heading to club.
    Best pistol I have owned the HP-01 accuracy and quality. It’s also a great pistol for pulling out the box after 12 months and not having to worry about pcp or co2.

If you like a little recoil consider the old webley 1975-2005 Hurricane or Tempest still lots of used ones in shops.

I also had the older webley nemesis which is a great gun with no recoil.

HW40, 45 are good springer but the hw75 has no recoils like the Alecto.

Had a 1377 and 1322. Both extremely accurate but required lots of pumping and also lost count of how many times I closed my T-Shirt in the gun.

My pick Gamo Compact in .177. Very Accurate, wooden grip provides a natural point of contact with the gun, a used one is not so expensive that you’re paranoid about scratches. Disadvantage is it has no scope rails for a red dot ect.

HW75 for a pistol you will pull out of the case in 20 years and still enjoy polishing it let alone shooting. Some pistols date in shape and design but the Gamo Compact and HW75 are timeless and offer little recoil.

What shot count do you get in 2240?
    In warmer conditions, around the 50 mark, I seem to remember. Both of mine run standard valving. I must get around to fitting a weaker hammer spring (and possibly altering valve spring also) to reduce the power, reduce muzzle blast and increase the shot count further. I understand that simply going for the weaker hammer spring will achieve much of this and is a really simple job.

A standard 2240 will shoot around 30 decent shots and around 35 in total before power falls off a cliff - however each shot the power will drop.

They are very inefficient as standard as displayed when you shoot the blast of co2 you can see.

Years ago I cut 1.5 coils off the hammer spring, fitted a john small transfer port to maximise efficiency and I managed 90 shots at 4ftlb. There was no super cooling as I was shooting excess gas and it handled very well. Shots were timed every minute.

For the cost of £5 and 30minites it’s well worth tinkering