Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gimme a sugestion or two

If accuracy is a goal, the trigger beats almost every other factor in a pistol.

For that reason I'd go HW40 ever time. The Compact's grip is excellent and its sights are good but the trigger lets it down. The only reason I don't own a 40 is I own an HW75 which is its big brother, the SSP stablemate of the HW45.

The HW75 has similar power to the HW40, match accuracy (good as my LP10), great trigger when properly adjusted and all metal construction with wood grips.

If you're looking for can busting fun and a bit of a challenge, the HW45. Accurate as hell (potentially) but really hard to master. Trigger is a proper 2 stage unit. OK out of the box, it has great potential but needs careful adjustment to get it good. It also has some customisation options as it's compatible with 1911 grips, so Hogue, Pachmayr etc and a raft of copies.

Alecto/HP01 is good for flexibility with the option of extra power for longer range work. Trigger is acceptable: reasonably light but has a bit of a rollover release rather than a crisp 2nd stage break. It's also a massive handful even though the weight is manageable due to being largely plastic.

All of the above can mount optics if you want, which adds flexibility.

I'd steer clear of the Crosman 1377 and 2240 unless you want to get into modding and fettling them, in which case go for it, it's a whole new world and your wallet and spare time will suffer but you'll have enormous fun in the process!
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Reevo17 View Post
    A standard 2240 will shoot around 30 decent shots and around 35 in total before power falls off a cliff - however each shot the power will drop.

They are very inefficient as standard as displayed when you shoot the blast of co2 you can see.

Years ago I cut 1.5 coils off the hammer spring, fitted a john small transfer port to maximise efficiency and I managed 90 shots at 4ftlb. There was no super cooling as I was shooting excess gas and it handled very well. Shots were timed every minute.

For the cost of £5 and 30minites it’s well worth tinkering
    Interesting, do you know the size of the transfer port hole? I've got a modded 1377 I'm intending to sell but I'm keeping the steel breech and drop sear trigger for a future 2240 project. So I've got both standard restricted and large 1377 TPs. 90 shots at 4 ft.lb sounds a lot more useful than 30 at 5.5
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K View Post
    Interesting, do you know the size of the transfer port hole? I've got a modded 1377 I'm intending to sell but I'm keeping the steel breech and drop sear trigger for a future 2240 project. So I've got both standard restricted and large 1377 TPs. 90 shots at 4 ft.lb sounds a lot more useful than 30 at 5.5
    Whilst the TP helps, the best mod for a 2240 is an SSG.. massive efficiency gains, and if you run at 4Fp you get even more. Somewhen I'm supposed to be doing a how to make one for the 2240 (internal design) vid. Should be this month...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Whilst the TP helps, the best mod for a 2240 is an SSG.. massive efficiency gains, and if you run at 4Fp you get even more. Somewhen I'm supposed to be doing a how to make one for the 2240 (internal design) vid. Should be this month...
    Um, what’s an SSG?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K View Post
    Um, what’s an SSG?
    stopping spring guide... worth a google.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.