Thread: Priming 30-06 | lee hand primer

Priming 30-06 | lee hand primer

I’m new at reloading and I just want to document my first experience with reloading.

I have the lee priming tool and for all I read it should be easy to insert the primer. In some case you could be using two thumbs.

My first attempt and the primer stayed outside, even with two thumbs.

Só, what I wanna say is that it should be okay to press a little bit harder. I was afraid at first since this should be the most dangerous step, but finally the primer goes slowly into the pocket.

Just check if it is enough inside so you don’t press more than needed.

In the end I primed 60 cases and most of them with one hand was more than enough, once in a while I got a more difficult one.

As soon you get the feeling it is just a really easy task.

Quote Originally Posted by Tretas View Post
    I’m new at reloading and I just want to document my first experience with reloading.

I have the lee priming tool and for all I read it should be easy to insert the primer. In some case you could be using two thumbs.

My first attempt and the primer stayed outside, even with two thumbs.

Só, what I wanna say is that it should be okay to press a little bit harder. I was afraid at first since this should be the most dangerous step, but finally the primer goes slowly into the pocket.

Just check if it is enough inside so you don’t press more than needed.

In the end I primed 60 cases and most of them with one hand was more than enough, once in a while I got a more difficult one.

As soon you get the feeling it is just a really easy task.

You're doing it right not all primer pockets are cut perfectly .
    If you're unsure as to whether it's seated correctly , place the primed case head down onto a level surface , for instance a piece of glass . If there's any hint of wobble then the primer needs seating deeper .

No such thing as a stupid question , especially where safety is concerned.

I'd say you have a problem with the primer pockets of some of your cartridges.

primer seating.

I think some do need more than others. just to be on the safe side always wear safety glasses. Also think about the direction when priming if it does go off its going to hurt if its pointing at your face.