Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primer prices 😩

Primer prices 😩

Looking at primer prices, looks like we’re catching the cold from the USA hike in prices!
    CCI price has gone stupid some vendors asking north of £100 for a 1000
    Managed to get some Remington Large Rifle Primers for £40 per 1000 at the weekend.
    Do folk think they’ll come back down in price anytime soon?

Regards Dougie

Prices of anything never seem to come down as quickly as they go up - if at all.

Similarly, managed to get some s&b primers for £35/1000 a few weeks back. RFD in question has seen all his backorders for s&b primers for the rest of the year cancelled

I'm not particularly tied to a brand of primers, but my worry is that as the American brand prices go up so will others to match, like Henry Kranks own brands that have gone from £42 to £55/1000 overnight as the American brands went up in price.

Alright if you're hunting or TR shooting with expensive bullets and few rounds but it'll knacker the economy of pistol calibre shooting.

My original thought was we'd see shortages following on from the US but I think we'll just see huge price rises with plenty of stock on the shelves.

On a side note, did find my costings from when I started loading 8 ish years ago - £45/1000 for CCI LR back then.

I'm told that S&B are using all their own primers to keep up supply with their ammo. No sign that we'll get any in the near future.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Its supply and demand... not much supply, and lots of demand, so the prices go up..!!

Our local RFD has been told by Winchester that there will be no more primers until 2023..!!

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    I'm told that S&B are using all their own primers to keep up supply with their ammo. No sign that we'll get any in the near future.
    Makes sense. Must be more margin in loaded ammo than primers.

Shortages

Primers, powders, bullets 😣 all difficult to find.. we do have a club member who casts a lot of bullets.. fortunately.

amc577

Have a look in the latest Holt's sealed bid auctions they have quite a few lot's of 12000 Fiocchi large rifle primer's estimated at £250-350

Primers

I inquired yesterday about primers at my local gunsmith, I was offered CCI BR4 S/Rifle at

£16-50 per hundred!

I have about 2500 S/Rifle in stock thank goodness but will they ever come back to reasonable price?
    6.5 55 SWEDE.223 HOWA VARMINT NIKON 8X32X50 -.22LR CZ STYLE-16" .17 HMR CZ AMERICAN-16" SIMMONS AETEC-12G BERETTA A.302,AYA NO 4,BAIKAL O&U

Primers £16.50 hundred

Are they gold plated?

amc577

We've been told at work that there wont be any primers until next year at the earliest as the states isn't letting them out......this came from one of the main distributors.

Primers

Do we not have European distributors?

amc577

Quote Originally Posted by amc577 View Post
    Do we not have European distributors?

amc577
    European manufacturers - sure. Ok, there is Murom - Russian - so forget that

Ginex are made in Bosnia - apparently they work too. They are available in the UK (don't know the supply situation). I _think_ that the HenryKrank branded primers are rebadged Ginex.

Fiocchi in Italy make primers.

There are two companies in the US who basically have the primer market there - but a 3rd is coming online at the end of this year. Incredible how demand drives supply

Primers

Sellier and Bellot, Czech Republic... probably saving them for use against the Ruskies.
    Magtech, Brazil.. must be plentiful..

I suppose no primers are made in the uk.. like no powders.. like very little else made in the uk in the shooting products.

amc577

US small pistol primer costs

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Looking at primer prices, looks like we’re catching the cold from the USA hike in prices!
    CCI price has gone stupid some vendors asking north of £100 for a 1000
    Managed to get some Remington Large Rifle Primers for £40 per 1000 at the weekend.
    Do folk think they’ll come back down in price anytime soon?

Regards Dougie
    I just came across your post. Here is something that should make you feel good. Small pistol primers (used to cost us about 1.5 pennies a piece) now we are lucky if you can get them for $599.99 for five thousand (11 cents per primer). 460.56 Pound Sterling for five thousand primers.
    One Shot One Thrill