Thread: Latest acquisition a George Jefferies of Norwich revolver

Latest acquisition a George Jefferies of Norwich revolver

Cased set of an Adams type 150 bore 5 shot revolver made by George Jefferies of 8 Orford Hill Norwich manufactured 1849, complete with G & W Hewksley powder flask, .31 calibre bullet mould, nipple wrench, and leather percussion cap bag, the case is made of jamaican mahogany complete with key and working lock,
    Photographs at:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/fronte...57719938219938

That's very sweet, well done

He was the start of the true airgun we see today, as he is the father of Lincoln Jefferies who was the designer of the first good air rifles powered by a spring for himself and BSA.

harvey_s is online now Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Later became Darlows gunshop, he used to do airgun pellets I remember - but I think he was a respected shotgun maker...

I think the old premises are a listed building now.

https://i.postimg.cc/pdVrt4Qw/Screen...854-Google.jpg

I have concentrated part of my collection to the Gunmakers and Gunsmiths who worked in Orford Hill, it has had quite a chequered history, I have items made by each of Gunmakers and Gunsmiths including Marrison at No. 5 Orford Hill whose shop was blown up when black powder cartridges were being loaded in 1860 he had more black powder than he was allowed two people were killed in the explosion.
    I have what is believed to be the only surviving loading tool designed and manufactured by Marrison.

A bit of a bang in Orford Hill!!!
    This might be of interest to you Harvey.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/fronteria/albums

Quote Originally Posted by Fronteria View Post
    A bit of a bang in Orford Hill!!!
    This might be of interest to you Harvey.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/fronteria/albums
    There's some interesting photos there, thanks for sharing

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    I have concentrated part of my collection to the Gunmakers and Gunsmiths who worked in Orford Hill, it has had quite a chequered history, I have items made by each of Gunmakers and Gunsmiths including Marrison at No. 5 Orford Hill whose shop was blown up when black powder cartridges were being loaded in 1860 he had more black powder than he was allowed two people were killed in the explosion.
    I have what is believed to be the only surviving loading tool designed and manufactured by Marrison.
    I have a marrison butt reservoir rifle. I'll try and put some pics up when I get back from Kempton.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

CannonFodder is offline Brown envelope round the back Squire...
    That is truly lovely, I have a two band Enfield made by the same man on my wall.

https://imgur.com/a1VT5Hs

I would very much appreciate photographs of any firearms made by George Jefferies, Robert Marrison and Darlow’s all these gunmakers occupied premises in Orford Hill Norwich.
    I have some how developed a interest in this street mainly due to my collection, but by all accounts it has had a very interesting and tragic history which has fired up my interest, as also being a collector of early British air rifle and pistols George Jefferies was the father of Lincoln Jefferies so this was probably the start of my interest in Orford Hill Norwich.

I would very much appreciate photographs of any firearms made by George Jefferies, Robert Marrison and Darlow’s all these gunmakers occupied premises in Orford Hill Norwich.
    I have some how developed a interest in this street mainly due to my collection, but by all accounts it has had a very interesting and tragic history which has fired up my interest, as also being a collector of early British air rifle and pistols George Jefferies was the father of Lincoln Jefferies so this was probably the start of my interest in Orford Hill Norwich.
    Try having a look at family history and previous census returns. You may have to find someone who pays the subscription to someone like Ancestry.com. You could also do a google search.

I have a rifle made by a Scottish maker and I did a google search. It brought up the family tree, the date the gunmaker retired, newspaper adverts for his shop, which showed he had moved premises a couple of times. I also found him in the Post Office Directory of the day and adverts for his guns on places like Gunstar came up which illustrated the type and quality of he guns he made.