Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo checker VS case gauge

Ammo checker VS case gauge

I'm starting reloading. I want to do it properly, but I don't want to dive into unnecessary steps.

I like lee and they don't even have nothing for that.

What is really the importance of the ammo checker and case gauge?

For my money, case length measurement using calipers and then a fit test in the relevant rifle are enough.

Quote Originally Posted by zanes View Post
    For my money, case length measurement using calipers and then a fit test in the relevant rifle are enough.
    That was actually what I was thinking. Why can't I check with the calliper? I guess it would be an improvement in the way we do it, but not a requirement since we can use the calliper.

Depends upon the case.

9mm, for instance, the case length is critical for headspace.
    On some necked cases the headspace is measured to a datum on the shoulder, so neck length is less important in this regard.
    Other cases headspace on the case rim.

So measuring the overall length on the case is only part of the story and can still leave you with an out of spec round. If you've sized with the correct die and it chambers easily there is less chance the case size is wrong. Neck trimming may still be needed on some cases though.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

sparko is offline One of Tiger Woods' lovers...
    Well, if the cases are fire formed from your rifle, all I would do is use a Lee case length trimmer for your calibre and away you go.
    Not sure where I`m going.....But I`ll get there someday

They can help you set up the dies on rifle cases. When you resize a case it stretches forward so you often have to set the shoulder back. If you can measure against a known case then it lets you check the finished case and may reduce the amount of cases you mess up when setting up the dies.

But... If you use a breech lock style press the dies are set up all the time so you don't need one. Just set up the die so the finished case gives a bit of resistance to the bolt, add a couple of mm (on the circumference of the die, not vertically!) of turn clockwise turn on the die and it should be good. Resize again and see if it feels good lo load.

The thing about a case guage is that the dimensions can be relative to another case. Any cup shaped thing of around the right internal diameter can be dropped on top of the case and a measurement made between the base to the top of the cup. A 9mm case or a Lee powder scoop works fine. If you want the resized case to be the same as your fire formed one then adjust the die until they measure the same. Easy.

BB
    (If any more experienced reloaders disagree, please do comment)

How to size a case and set head space

Related to this topic I found this video explaining how to properly size a case and set head space.
    video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldtbsym650k

I have a winchester xpr 30-06. Using the lee breech lock press I should use my case holder number 2. After watching this video I could end up using a n. 3 or 4.

Is this totally correct or I should use number 2 for the 30-06 as lee recommendation?
    Last edited by Tretas; 27-03-2022 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tretas View Post
    Related to this topic I found this video explaining how to properly size a case and set head space.

I have a winchester xpr 30-06. Using the lee breech lock press I should use my case holder number 2. After watching this video I could end up using a n. 3 or 4.

Is this totally correct or I should use number 2 for the 30-06 as lee recommendation?
    The chap in your link is using differing thickness shell holders , if you use the Lee Universal shell holders then yes use No 2

This link may be more helpful
    https://youtu.be/htvk1UYOXm8

Rewrote this , apologies
    Last edited by Fox Tales; 09-04-2022 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    They can help you set up the dies on rifle cases. When you resize a case it stretches forward so you often have to set the shoulder back. If you can measure against a known case then it lets you check the finished case and may reduce the amount of cases you mess up when setting up the dies.

But... If you use a breech lock style press the dies are set up all the time so you don't need one. Just set up the die so the finished case gives a bit of resistance to the bolt, add a couple of mm (on the circumference of the die, not vertically!) of turn clockwise turn on the die and it should be good. Resize again and see if it feels good lo load.

The thing about a case guage is that the dimensions can be relative to another case. Any cup shaped thing of around the right internal diameter can be dropped on top of the case and a measurement made between the base to the top of the cup. A 9mm case or a Lee powder scoop works fine. If you want the resized case to be the same as your fire formed one then adjust the die until they measure the same. Easy.

BB
    (If any more experienced reloaders disagree, please do comment)

Definitely close , but fully agree with a headspace gauge .
    A full length die sizes as follows;
    Neck , reduced
    Body and Web,
    Shoulder,
    Neck , inside expanded .

If the shoulder is not engaged during sizing the shoulder will be pushed forwards, making the case longer . You'll do well to set the die to maintain the fired case's headspace, usual practice is to adjust for minimum setback of around 0.002 ' .
    When you've achieved that , lock the die off . Check chamber fit .
    All this is measurable with a gauge .
    Check case length ,trim as necessary.
    So pretty much as above.
    Don't push the shoulder back more than a couple of thou' or you risk case separation.

Shellholders conform to an industry standard! So all the same .

Hope this helps .��
    Last edited by Fox Tales; 09-04-2022 at 07:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox Tales View Post

Don't push the shoulder back more than a couple of thou' or you risk case separation.
    I think it depends on the length of the shoulder. Cases with a tight in/out bend at the shoulder like 303 tend to work-harden there in manufacture, and if the chamber is reamed deep - as it often is - the case stretches at the web in fire-forming rather than rolling the shoulder forward. Even neck-sizing only can't remove the risk of separation in that situation.

I don't know, but I'd expect that condition would affect 30-06 with its longer shoulder a lot less than 303. It didn't affect my 7.62 target loads much, but then for that I had a rifle with a tight chamber. It's probably at least worth a sharp-eyed comparison of shoulder position between a new and a fired case - though a case gauge seems a bit OTT unless you're doing big quantities.
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

Quote Originally Posted by Tretas View Post

Lee shellholder list is available as a pdf , the 30-06 is listed as a No.2 . The No.4 fits the 223 family of cases .

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MikB View Post
    I think it depends on the length of the shoulder. Cases with a tight in/out bend at the shoulder like 303 tend to work-harden there in manufacture, and if the chamber is reamed deep - as it often is - the case stretches at the web in fire-forming rather than rolling the shoulder forward. Even neck-sizing only can't remove the risk of separation in that situation.

I don't know, but I'd expect that condition would affect 30-06 with its longer shoulder a lot less than 303. It didn't affect my 7.62 target loads much, but then for that I had a rifle with a tight chamber. It's probably at least worth a sharp-eyed comparison of shoulder position between a new and a fired case - though a case gauge seems a bit OTT unless you're doing big quantities.

I have no experience of the 303 , so your knowledge of that chambering will far exceed mine .

The 30-06 and 270 as both prone to case separation , so I'm led to believe by friends .Though , I didn't do a lot with my 270 personally . I have seen friends cases that have separated after a couple of firings.
    The longer shoulder at a shallower angle is part of the problem as it allows the brass to flow more freely .
    One aspect that is often forgotten , is that the chamber expands during the firing cycle allowing the brass to grow .

May I suggest to the OP (I'm in no way trying to offend) , that if he hasn't done so he reads a good reloading manual. The Lee is very good and a bargain , ignore the product placement and supplement with online videos as he goes , for practical demonstration .

Regards,
    FT

Quote Originally Posted by Fox Tales View Post
    Definitely close , but fully agree with a headspace gauge .
    A full length die sizes as follows;
    Neck , reduced
    Body and Web,
    Shoulder,
    Neck , inside expanded .

If the shoulder is not engaged during sizing the shoulder will be pushed forwards, making the case longer . You'll do well to set the die to maintain the fired case's headspace, usual practice is to adjust for minimum setback of around 0.002 ' .
    When you've achieved that , lock the die off . Check chamber fit .
    All this is measurable with a gauge .
    Check case length ,trim as necessary.
    So pretty much as above.

Shellholders conform to an industry standard! So all the same .

Hope this helps .��
    Thanks.

I've set up my dies for the cartridges to be just about easy enough to load. I checked out the SAAMI specs and the maximum case to chamber difference was 0.013" in factory 308, but I wouldn't want to do that to a case a couple of times.

Black Beard , I owe you an apology. . I missed your comment.
    You were on the money , there really is no need to buy a headspace gauge . It is an instrument that will gather dust the majority of its life , useful but not essential . A full length die can be set perfectly with a little patience and know how .
    I think we're on the same page .

FT