Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BSA Lightning (Brum)

I highly rate the Brummie BSA's. I remember the days when I had a Supersport SS Carbine in .25cal. So regret letting it go, but it was either that or passing a chance to own a Theoben Sirocco 2000 in .20cal.

20 years later, I currently own 5 Supersports and earlier this week, took delivery of my first Brummie Lightning Mk1. From the off, it handled very well. The shortie size is very handy and is lightweight.

I have many Weihrauchs but I still have a soft spot for the Brummie Supersport and it's derivatives. They are much easier to handle and do an equal job for what I need it to do. Try carry a hw97kt around a farm for 4 hours and tells me you enjoyed the company!

I much prefer the 'Brummie' versions for size, build quality and for the market it was originally pitched at. Don't talk to me about about those produced under Gamo management. Gamo has lost it's way and departed from the original concept. Bigger, heavier, and shoddy quality do not make a good gun. Mine shot so badly I couldn't muster the enthusiasm to waste time fettling or use my Molly paste. I also had the Gamo Lightning XLSE in both springer and the GRT. The XLSE stayed only for a few months (a very pretty rifle but couldn't deliver). The GRT was the only gun I've ever owned that broke a scope in all my years of shooting. I only kept it because I like rammers.

In short, I do not rate the Gamo range of springers. Stick to the Brummie range. The Supersport and Lightning are exceptional for the price. Well worth owning a sorted out version.

Well put Alexall, it might be possible to smooth out the new stuff but is it worth it. I have been told some of the Spanish springers for the UK had springs for continental power but the transfer ports sizes reduced. So you get FAC recoil and poor performance.

Red face

I promised an update so today Lyn Lewington called me and he explained what he's found after opening up my 20 year old Lightning.

In summary, the main spring is broken into not 1,2 or even 3 pieces, but 7!! So this might explain the low power, I'll post a photo up when I recieve it.

The piston seal was so worn it was barely touching the sides and the plastic cocking link guide had worn almost through so Lyn is going to replace the sleeve with metal.

I'm not overly surprised as myself and others I've leant it to must have put over 10,000 pellets through it.

I'm looking forward to getting it back.
    Last edited by ratbuster2240; 05-05-2022 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ratbuster2240 View Post
    You have definitely got your money’s worth out of that spring.
    Looking forward to your feedback when you get it back from Venoman.
    Les..

Thumbs up

Nah, still some life in that spring :-) Had a few Lightning’s of various mk’s and cal’s, fantastic for what they are, enjoy another 20+ years of shooting when you get her back, it’ll be better than new

Thanks guys. I think the level of damage has occurred to the spring when I let someone use it and they told me the pellets were dropping through the barrel. They were using .177 in a. 22 and it was probably dry fired it before they realised.

I'm not sure if anyone has a spare or knows the dimensions of part W109? It allows the maxi grip securing screw to sit proud and act as a scope stop. Mine has been put somewhere safe.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Another thumbs up for Lyn. Plus Simon @ The Airgun Doctor.
    I’ve used both with equally excellent results…

Quote Originally Posted by venoman View Post
    I have tune the Gamo Lightening less cocking effort less recoil much nicer gun to use .
    Trying to get someone to do some reviews on youtube or facebook of my tuned rifles.
    I have actually shot one of lyn’s gamo lightnings recently when picking up my Hw80 that he’d sorted for me and the difference is huge between it and a horrible standard one that my mate has that rattles your teeth when shot…

Thanks for sharing your first hand experience, they are petty harsh as standard but at least they can be improved.

Quote Originally Posted by elewis411 View Post
    I have actually shot one of lyn’s gamo lightnings recently when picking up my Hw80 that he’d sorted for me and the difference is huge between it and a horrible standard one that my mate has that rattles your teeth when shot…

Lyn (venoman) did a great job on my old Lightning, its nice to have it back shooting like it was when I first got it. Its certainly hitting the targets hard.

Great to hear that you have now been reacquainted and that you're enjoying the stumpy little one again.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Thanks for recommending Lyn, he got it back to me just in time for the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by ratbuster2240 View Post
    Thanks for recommending Lyn, he got it back to me just in time for the weekend.

I’m glad you’re happy with it,Lyn tune’s and set’s them up just right.
    Sorry we didn’t have a proper chat, I left early owing to it being my wedding anniversary (34 years) and would have liked to have had a go with your Lightning..Hopefully next time.
    Atb
    Les..

Thanks Les, happy anniversary! After years of chatting on BBS it's great to meet the characters in real life and finding out the stories behind the usernames, yours is easy enough.