Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SSP Pistols what choices nowadays?

SSP Pistols what choices nowadays?

Always had a soft spot for SSP pistols and considering another but was wondering if I’ve overlooked any?

Let me elaborate;

*Beeman P3/HW40 had a fair few still really like them and probably top of my list.

*Beeman Clones eg P17/2004e etc same again had a fair few and for the savvy cost effective nature they are decent enough but I do prefer the pukka HW40 version as the fit and finish is better.

*Stoeger XP4 had one when they were released not bad really had to do some work on it but at its price point was half decent and I believe now discontinued.

*Artemis LP400 Never seen one let alone owned one.

*Gamo Compact/PR45 had a few again but just not that keen on them can’t put my finger on why though.

*HW75 some say the daddy of SSP never owned one as the price has always made me wince

*Sig Sauer ASP Super Target again the price new is eye watering although a used offering might be more suitable and they have been on my radar since they were released but I believe they are discontinued now which worries me a tad. Possibly related to the FAS? Which I’ve heard reliability could be an issue.

*FAS never owned one but as above heard some had issues and reliability problems.

*Webley Nemesis (Original one not the co2 latest thing) owned a few and possibly consider another as long as the rear sight isn’t broken

*Webley Alecto missed my chances with these a good few years back and now fairly hard to find but possibly another I’d consider.

Have I missed any others folks that I can put under consideration?

Uses are purely 6-10M garage plinking (training) and 6-10M club range shooting plus the obligatory dry-fire fly/wasp killer

I have a Baikal 46m or an 'izzy' really nice bomb proof target pistol, or you could try looking for a FWB again over engineered pure quality. Walther also made SSPs in the form of Lp2 or Lp3s mostly collectors pieces but still very capable pistols.

PR45 the trigger is bad ,the actual blade is a kind of push paddle thing that has play in all directions,
    really spoils what is a good design other than that.
    HW 77K .22,Gammo Hornet .22 BSA 3-9 x 50 Night light ,HW 40 .177,Gamo Maxxim Elite .22 multi shot, Beeman P17 .177 red dot sight ,SMK CP2 co2 with Hawk 3-9 x 50.Slingshots PPMG+TTF PPMG mk 2 ott PPMG ott Original custom made solid Bronze, Number 15 of 20

Quote Originally Posted by AC all day View Post
    I have a Baikal 46m or an 'izzy' really nice bomb proof target pistol, or you could try looking for a FWB again over engineered pure quality. Walther also made SSPs in the form of Lp2 or Lp3s mostly collectors pieces but still very capable pistols.
    Cheers for the info, I’ll add them to the list

I might possibly be getting a project FAS604 but it will need repairing (top strap broken) but it might be worth a punt.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjohn View Post
    PR45 the trigger is bad ,the actual blade is a kind of push paddle thing that has play in all directions,
    really spoils what is a good design other than that.
    Think that’s probably my bugbear with the Gamo SSP’s even the compact I’ve had a few examples where unless the triggers been fettled it’s been a bit hit and miss pardon the pun.

I do love a SSP pistol.

If you are going match then there are quite a few options, including the Pardini, the FAS606, the Izzy, the FWBs and Walthers. Most fetch quite high prices these days despite being long in the tooth.

A mate has the Artemis LP400 and I have to say for the money it’s a steal. Low power given its small cylinder (about 300 fps) but easy to cock and very sweet trigger.

If you’re not going for a full match jobbie, save the messing about and just get the HW75.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K View Post
    I do love a SSP pistol.

If you are going match then there are quite a few options, including the Pardini, the FAS606, the Izzy, the FWBs and Walthers. Most fetch quite high prices these days despite being long in the tooth.

A mate has the Artemis LP400 and I have to say for the money it’s a steal. Low power given its small cylinder (about 300 fps) but easy to cock and very sweet trigger.

If you’re not going for a full match jobbie, save the messing about and just get the HW75.
    Cheers Adam,

The LP400 does intrigue me and I’ll certainly have to have a mooch around one.

The 75 has been on my radar for years but just never been in the right place right time or simply couldn’t justify one if I had other more cost effective SSP’s in my collection at the time.

Good shout with the golden oldies chaps certainly food for thought although I’m not really wanting to do any serious competition stuff maybe the odd casual comps but I do like a decent pistol though and pride of ownership etc.

Unless you can go high end prices like the fwb’s I’d definitely go for an izzy. Looks a bit agricultural but great gun

Quote Originally Posted by mikehill View Post
    Unless you can go high end prices like the fwb’s I’d definitely go for an izzy. Looks a bit agricultural but great gun
    Cheers Mike, nothing wrong with agricultural as I’ve had many a Theoben Rapid

Agricultural, I have laminate grips on mine!!

Quote Originally Posted by AC all day View Post
    Agricultural, I have laminate grips on mine!!
    Far too posh

In all seriousness sounds tasty buddy

HW40....... light, simple, excellent iron sights and a trigger that is good waaaaaaay beyond its price, IZH64M for more accuracy, possibly down to better sights

I think an HW75 would just be over engineering for the sake of aesthetics and would detract from everything that makes the HW40 so good, and after a shocking experience with not one, but two FAS6004 I would avoid anything from that brand like the plague

Gamo Compact with the usual tweaks for first and second stage adjustment of trigger and spring tension for weight along with a strip and polish of piston rod? A very capable target pistol, grips can easily be replaced to make it look more like the HW range of pistols
    Last edited by clipper; 17-04-2022 at 07:04 PM.
    TX200 .177 21mm TL | TX200HC .22 22mm TL | Prosport .22 22mm TL
    HW40 | HW45 | Diana Mod5 | Webley Senior....... Because PCP is like kissing your sister (apparently)

Quote Originally Posted by clipper View Post
    HW40....... light, simple, excellent iron sights and a trigger that is good waaaaaaay beyond its price, IZH64M for more accuracy

I think an HW75 would just be over engineering for the sake of aesthetics and would detract from everything that makes the HW40 so good, and after a shocking experience with not one, but two FAS6004 I would avoid anything from that brand like the plague
    Cheers clipper,

Yes agree with the HW40 certainly one of my favourite SSP’s

I’ve never owned the 75 and it was a very long time ago that I used a club mates but correct me if I’m wrong aren’t the 75’s a tad easier to cock than the 40 as it’s slightly longer with better leverage?

Sometimes the 40 can be fairly awkward to cock I know a good few years ago when my lads were younger they had trouble compressing them.

Sorry to hear about your FAS experiences that’s a right shame as from what I gather aren’t they usually held in fairly high regard?

I’ve read a few things about the earlier 604 being favourable over the 6004 although the 604 can have the weak strap syndrome.

From my experience, PR45 is good for the low price.

Older Gamo Compacts (early 2000s) are OK, better triggers than later ones.

FAS604s (I have two) are very very nice. Not the highest power, though, if you want to reach beyond 10M.

All I’ve heard on the Chiappa “FAS” 6004… avoid. I fear the same may apply to the “SIG”, which is the same bits with different styling.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    From my experience, PR45 is good for the low price.

Older Gamo Compacts (early 2000s) are OK, better triggers than later ones.

FAS604s (I have two) are very very nice. Not the highest power, though, if you want to reach beyond 10M.

All I’ve heard on the Chiappa “FAS” 6004… avoid. I fear the same may apply to the “SIG”, which is the same bits with different styling.
    Cheers Geezer,

Regards the 604 the one that might come my way spares/repairs out of interest would finding a replacement top strap be like hens teeth? I have a feeling I’ll more than likely have to go down the repair route and cross a friends palm with much silver

I’ll cross the sig off the list for now although it’s a sweet looking thing I’m a tad wary about it even more so now

Owned a few including a FWB 100.

My keeper SSP has got to be Daisy 717.

It's easy to pump, long sight picture and predictable trigger.
    Zastava Owners Club.