Thread: SSP Pistols what choices nowadays?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

SSP Pistols what choices nowadays?

Always had a soft spot for SSP pistols and considering another but was wondering if I’ve overlooked any?

Let me elaborate;

*Beeman P3/HW40 had a fair few still really like them and probably top of my list.

*Beeman Clones eg P17/2004e etc same again had a fair few and for the savvy cost effective nature they are decent enough but I do prefer the pukka HW40 version as the fit and finish is better.

*Stoeger XP4 had one when they were released not bad really had to do some work on it but at its price point was half decent and I believe now discontinued.

*Artemis LP400 Never seen one let alone owned one.

*Gamo Compact/PR45 had a few again but just not that keen on them can’t put my finger on why though.

*HW75 some say the daddy of SSP never owned one as the price has always made me wince

*Sig Sauer ASP Super Target again the price new is eye watering although a used offering might be more suitable and they have been on my radar since they were released but I believe they are discontinued now which worries me a tad. Possibly related to the FAS? Which I’ve heard reliability could be an issue.

*FAS never owned one but as above heard some had issues and reliability problems.

*Webley Nemesis (Original one not the co2 latest thing) owned a few and possibly consider another as long as the rear sight isn’t broken

*Webley Alecto missed my chances with these a good few years back and now fairly hard to find but possibly another I’d consider.

Have I missed any others folks that I can put under consideration?

Uses are purely 6-10M garage plinking (training) and 6-10M club range shooting plus the obligatory dry-fire fly/wasp killer

I have a Baikal 46m or an 'izzy' really nice bomb proof target pistol, or you could try looking for a FWB again over engineered pure quality. Walther also made SSPs in the form of Lp2 or Lp3s mostly collectors pieces but still very capable pistols.

PR45 the trigger is bad ,the actual blade is a kind of push paddle thing that has play in all directions,
    really spoils what is a good design other than that.
    HW 77K .22,Gammo Hornet .22 BSA 3-9 x 50 Night light ,HW 40 .177,Gamo Maxxim Elite .22 multi shot, Beeman P17 .177 red dot sight ,SMK CP2 co2 with Hawk 3-9 x 50.Slingshots PPMG+TTF PPMG mk 2 ott PPMG ott Original custom made solid Bronze, Number 15 of 20

Quote Originally Posted by AC all day View Post
    I have a Baikal 46m or an 'izzy' really nice bomb proof target pistol, or you could try looking for a FWB again over engineered pure quality. Walther also made SSPs in the form of Lp2 or Lp3s mostly collectors pieces but still very capable pistols.
    Cheers for the info, I’ll add them to the list

I might possibly be getting a project FAS604 but it will need repairing (top strap broken) but it might be worth a punt.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjohn View Post
    PR45 the trigger is bad ,the actual blade is a kind of push paddle thing that has play in all directions,
    Think that’s probably my bugbear with the Gamo SSP’s even the compact I’ve had a few examples where unless the triggers been fettled it’s been a bit hit and miss pardon the pun.

I do love a SSP pistol.

If you are going match then there are quite a few options, including the Pardini, the FAS606, the Izzy, the FWBs and Walthers. Most fetch quite high prices these days despite being long in the tooth.

A mate has the Artemis LP400 and I have to say for the money it’s a steal. Low power given its small cylinder (about 300 fps) but easy to cock and very sweet trigger.

If you’re not going for a full match jobbie, save the messing about and just get the HW75.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K View Post
    I do love a SSP pistol.

If you are going match then there are quite a few options, including the Pardini, the FAS606, the Izzy, the FWBs and Walthers. Most fetch quite high prices these days despite being long in the tooth.

A mate has the Artemis LP400 and I have to say for the money it’s a steal. Low power given its small cylinder (about 300 fps) but easy to cock and very sweet trigger.

If you’re not going for a full match jobbie, save the messing about and just get the HW75.
    Cheers Adam,

The LP400 does intrigue me and I’ll certainly have to have a mooch around one.

The 75 has been on my radar for years but just never been in the right place right time or simply couldn’t justify one if I had other more cost effective SSP’s in my collection at the time.

Good shout with the golden oldies chaps certainly food for thought although I’m not really wanting to do any serious competition stuff maybe the odd casual comps but I do like a decent pistol though and pride of ownership etc.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by jjjohn View Post
    yes, the compact trigger unit is completely different, and much better (as is the grip, obviously).

The Alecto/Zoraki's a very good for power if you want the extra pump (not really SSP though), and good triggers, but I worry about spares support. Mine is misbehaving again, and on the list to be fixed (second time). Mostly I just used mine on one pump.

I'm goign to vote for the HW40, Daisy 7x7, and Gamo Compact as my personal favourites within this genre. The 75 was easier to cock than the 40 (the only downside of the 40 IMHO), but so expensive for just that. The pr45 is great value, but the triggers are quite iffy.
    Last edited by Shed tuner; 24-04-2022 at 07:26 AM.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.