Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SSP Pistols what choices nowadays?

Yeah, I forgot about the Daisy 717 and 777?, also there was an Airmatch 600 I think with extendable sight radius

Quote Originally Posted by AC all day View Post
    Yeah, I forgot about the Daisy 717 and 777?, also there was an Airmatch 600 I think with extendable sight radius
    Airmatch has special odd rear seal that is now unobtanium. Daisys are OK. I wouldn't buy a fixer-upper FAS - they aren’t that rare and hold out for a solid one.

Quote Originally Posted by JD75 View Post
    Owned a few including a FWB 100.

My keeper SSP has got to be Daisy 717.

It's easy to pump, long sight picture and predictable trigger.
    Cheers buddy shall make a note of the daisy.

Quote Originally Posted by AC all day View Post
    Like it chaps, plenty I’ve never heard of

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Airmatch has special odd rear seal that is now unobtanium. Daisys are OK. I wouldn't buy a fixer-upper FAS - they aren’t that rare and hold out for a solid one.
    The FAS spares/repairs jobbie would be coming from a mate hence it might still be worth a punt

Keep me busy anyway we all like the ones that sit at the back of the drawer for that rainy day

Forgot about the Daisy and I even owned a 717 years ago! Very underrated pistol.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K View Post
    Forgot about the Daisy and I even owned a 717 years ago! Very underrated pistol.
    Nice, now have a few extra SSP pistols to consider and lookout for

Antoni is online now There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K View Post
    Not really. Good yes, unerrated no.

They are agricultural. Built like a brick out-house, tough, reliable. Good modestly priced introduction to pistol shooting for 12 year-olds. Consistent trigger force but nearer to a combat pistol than a target gun. They even had a four step 'instructions for use' embossed into the frame. Military trainer style?

Had one for 10 years plus and used it often as an airblaster and plinker. Fire it, go put the kettle on then come back to see where the pellet went. With a soft back stop chances were that you could use the pellet again.

My second-hand Beeman P17 replacement began well but has developed three faults over a much shorter period of time. The main fault fixed simply as mentioned up-thread, and so is now useable. Cheap and chearful. More power than the Daisy.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

Quote Originally Posted by Antoni View Post
    Not really. Good yes, unerrated no.

They are agricultural. Built like a brick out-house, tough, reliable. Good modestly priced introduction to pistol shooting for 12 year-olds. Consistent trigger force but nearer to a combat pistol than a target gun. They even had a four step 'instructions for use' embossed into the frame. Military trainer style?

Had one for 10 years plus and used it often as an airblaster and plinker. Fire it, go put the kettle on then come back to see where the pellet went. With a soft back stop chances were that you could use the pellet again.

My second-hand Beeman P17 replacement began well but has developed three faults over a much shorter period of time. The main fault fixed simply as mentioned up-thread, and so is now useable. Cheap and chearful. More power than the Daisy.
    Cheers Pillock you make sure you keep an eye on that pin

In all seriousness just read your other thread which is why I generally prefer the better fit and finish of the pukka HW40 over the clones

Speaking of the HW40 clones I remember one of my local RFD’s (Go Dive/Go Shoot) stocking the Blister pack AirForceOne versions sadly they got so fed up with returns that they sent all of them back to the supplier

There’s been quite a few clones even some with two barrels in the packs.

It’s a shame the Stoeger XP4 wasn’t better quality as the original press pictures made it look very tasty but in reality it was poorly finished IMO and they just simply vanished when Solware were practically giving them away at the time

I know the one I tried in the shop had a very sticky trigger but another in the box was better although after a few shots I noticed the barrel wasn’t secure enough so I had to fix that and shim it as it really wasn’t worth returning it.

Great post thanks!

Just my 2p… from the SSP clan I’ve had the HW40, HW75, beeman copy, fWB103 and IZH46M

The 40 is fantastic and a real nice pistol - one of my favourites too

The 75, whilst built from metal and wood and oozes class I’ve owned a few and
    1) they’re slightly less powerful than the 40
    2) they are easier to cock in part due to the longer wider top lever but also #1
    3) I’ve never found them as accurate as the 40 and I pellet test thoroughly

Beeman - great entry pistol but yes I agree I prefer the pedigree of the 40

FWB103, the holy grail for many - I owned along side my IZH but in truth I preferred the IZH so sold the 103

IZH46M- one of THE BEST entry 10m pistols you can get hands down. I shot a lot last year and got a PB of 575 with my IZ. So easy to cock and use…

BUT, the IZ is a match pistol and not one you can 2 hand hold/red dot/rest etc

I’ve not really used my IZ in a while - tiny plink the other week.

Today I was with my son using the HW40 and red dot to smash plaster Lego men and ink in the garden - absolute blast! Yes I’d make a few tweaks in an ideal world longer trigger reach mainly) but you simply can fault it.

I too have been toying with getting something else… I’d like something with a bit more grunt to use 25yards (not essential though) and tbh there isn’t anything… probably only the Webley Alecto/HP01 or whatever it is called. This is still being made and offers full power, but without using one they just look chunky and still have ‘anatomical grips’ making 2 handed shooting difficult…

Watching with interest

One other consideration is a multi pump - like the crosman 1377. 3 quick pumps gives similar power to an HW40, 6 with be around a match pistol and 10 full power… cheap, loads of mods too
    Last edited by Reevo17; 18-04-2022 at 05:47 PM.

It's been said enough already but I'll +1 for the HW40, they are absolutely superb pistols - good sights, excellent trigger and enough power for most target and plinking work.
    The only criticism I have is they are not quiet and it's nigh on impossible to fit a silencer without major engineering work.

Quote Originally Posted by Biker_Bob View Post
    It's been said enough already but I'll +1 for the HW40, they are absolutely superb pistols - good sights, excellent trigger and enough power for most target and plinking work.
    The only criticism I have is they are not quiet and it's nigh on impossible to fit a silencer without major engineering work.
    Really? I’m always very conscious of using airguns in the garden and never once worried about the 40…

Pcp/co2 definitely

Reevo17.... There is a big aftermarket business in the states, Grips, scope mounts and power modes, personally I have just got nice anatomical laminate grips (from US) and a MEC trigger blade.... I also sold a FWB P30 because I prefer my Izzy

Just put my Daisy 717 over the chrono it's doing 2.4ft/lb with H&N Econ II pellets.

I think it will be down to what pistol you can find.

Don't know if the 717 is still imported and I can't see any new IZH's coming in from Russia anytime soon.

That leaves you with Gamo, P17 or HW40.

If you can I would get the HW40 over P17(or whatever badge the put on it) as it's a much nicer finished pistol.

Then again after owning a HW40 might pick up a clone myself to see if the have got any better.
    Zastava Owners Club.

Quote Originally Posted by Reevo17 View Post
    Great post thanks!

Just my 2p… from the SSP clan I’ve had the HW40, HW75, beeman copy, fWB103 and IZH46M

The 40 is fantastic and a real nice pistol - one of my favourites too

The 75, whilst built from metal and wood and oozes class I’ve owned a few and
    1) they’re slightly less powerful than the 40
    2) they are easier to cock in part due to the longer wider top lever but also #1
    3) I’ve never found them as accurate as the 40 and I pellet test thoroughly

Beeman - great entry pistol but yes I agree I prefer the pedigree of the 40

FWB103, the holy grail for many - I owned along side my IZH but in truth I preferred the IZH so sold the 103

IZH46M- one of THE BEST entry 10m pistols you can get hands down. I shot a lot last year and got a PB of 575 with my IZ. So easy to cock and use…

BUT, the IZ is a match pistol and not one you can 2 hand hold/red dot/rest etc

I’ve not really used my IZ in a while - tiny plink the other week.

Today I was with my son using the HW40 and red dot to smash plaster Lego men and ink in the garden - absolute blast! Yes I’d make a few tweaks in an ideal world longer trigger reach mainly) but you simply can fault it.

I too have been toying with getting something else… I’d like something with a bit more grunt to use 25yards (not essential though) and tbh there isn’t anything… probably only the Webley Alecto/HP01 or whatever it is called. This is still being made and offers full power, but without using one they just look chunky and still have ‘anatomical grips’ making 2 handed shooting difficult…

Watching with interest

One other consideration is a multi pump - like the crosman 1377. 3 quick pumps gives similar power to an HW40, 6 with be around a match pistol and 10 full power… cheap, loads of mods too
    No worries buddy and thanks for your input

Seems many of us have been down Similar paths with SSP pistols

It still looks like the HW40 really does tick just about all the boxes and I’m tater embarrassed to say I’ve had far too many pass through my grubby mitts where I should have at least kept one…..Doh

Quote Originally Posted by Biker_Bob View Post
    Cheers Bob,

Yep the HW40 has a heck of a lot going for it that’s for sure.

Interesting about the noise level as I’ve never found them particularly loud and I usually shoot them in a echo chamber AKA my garage

Dry fire wasp/fly killer mode they have a bit of a crack but never noticed them loud when lead up the spout.

Quote Originally Posted by Reevo17 View Post
    Really? I’m always very conscious of using airguns in the garden and never once worried about the 40…

Pcp/co2 definitely
    Same as my thoughts Reevo (as above)