Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not your typical case for a Webley Service

I can’t find a source of baize fabric in the US? All I see is English Stores.

Original with extras

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I can’t find a source of baize fabric in the US? All I see is English Stores.
    Try ‘self adhesive felt’ and leave out Baize in the search title
    Last edited by ptdunk; 28-04-2022 at 08:46 AM.

Must be baize available somewhere in the USA, surely? Saw plenty in Vegas! That case would look good lined in red.

Casing finished

Here is the finished case of my new to me Webley Service. I know you guys wanted to me do a historic casing but I actually think this rifle deserves more? Having it now for a little while I am convinced this was the peak of the blued machining art for airguns. If you look all really fine English rifles have wooden cases. I aged the brass fittings. I know again the use of the foam will again shock the traditionalist. But this really shows off the gun, believe me it really pops. No shadowy compartments and leather straps to hide beautiful walnut checkering. And total protection for this prize. And if you still need convincing look at the top and the cross? I put in a small English Flag to remind you of the symbolism?

Last edited by 45flint; 06-05-2022 at 03:59 PM.

Very nice Steve,

It's not pretending to be an original case and yet keeps everything together nicely.

A good balance of the old and new in my view.

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Still not for me. but it is yourself you have to please and be happy with no body else.

There was felt around the pair of Giffard's ?
    Just looked again can only see Giffard's A Pair !

It’s never over till it’s over. Added green felt. French casing I think really shows off a gun but I spent hours cutting that felt to match that complicated receiver!

That's certainly looking better, all it needs now is for the inner lid to be covered in the same material, with a Webley label stuck in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    That's certainly looking better, all it needs now is for the inner lid to be covered in the same material, with a Webley label stuck in the middle.
    And cover up that curly maple! Never! I did buy a copy of “Hints of Air Rifle Shooting” thats coming. A original was crazy money.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    And cover up that curly maple! Never! I did buy a copy of “Hints of Air Rifle Shooting” thats coming. A original was crazy money.
    The originals of Morton's booklet certainly fetch good money, all nine editions of them, but fortunately there is an excellent reproduction of the sixth edition available, which was produced by a AGBBS member in the eighties.
    You would still have the outer of the case to admire, but the material on the inner would also protect the rifle if you were to carry it in the case.

Looks great. Good work. Got a southern feel to it. Don a seersucker suit when shooting with that Webley.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    The originals of Morton's booklet certainly fetch good money, all nine editions of them, but fortunately there is an excellent reproduction of the sixth edition available, which was produced by a AGBBS member in the eighties.
    You would still have the outer of the case to admire, but the material on the inner would also protect the rifle if you were to carry it in the case.
    This foam is great material, holds the rifle and barrels very tight. I was planning to make a plain felt sheet to spread on the rifle before I close it. But so far it doesn’t seem necessary?