Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not your typical case for a Webley Service

Not your typical case for a Webley Service

I bought this case years ago and never used it. I love figured wood and the combination of the curly maple and the mahogany looked pretty cool. I think this case is not your typical case for a 1930’s Webley Service but hard not to use it. I’ve cased guns before makes for a interesting project. Given I have two barrels a case is really helpful. It does match this glossy refinished stock? I can hear you conservative Englishmen screaming already. Lol

Last edited by 45flint; 26-04-2022 at 01:30 AM.

Umm, well, it will be easy to spot which one’s yours anyway

Nice case. Not really my taste but so what.
    Morally flawed

Gonna look good when the inside is blocked and lined. Kind of thing Hemmingway or Teddy Roosevelt would have had to accompany him for some ratting on a fishing trip.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Sorry but it don't look like a case to put a Webley Service for me. much to modern looking. try converting an old Brady shotgun case more in keeping.l have done a few. but a nice find that Service over there.

Does not do it for me...too much like a coffin for a Christian funeral....

But, if you are happy, enjoy....

Instead of compartments and felt I’m thinking of using gray foam like a modern case, that should really loose you guys. But easy and maximum protection.

Not your typical case for a Webley Service

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Instead of compartments and felt I’m thinking of using gray foam like a modern case, that should really loose you guys. But easy and maximum protection.
    That's what i would do, but make sure you get the right type, some break up with age & can stick to the metalwork, i like the case, nice bit of woodworking.

In my opinion, to compliment the age of the rifle, the case should be lined with either red or blue baize, and fittings, also covered in baize, plus a strap, should be installed to hold the rifle, barrels and accessories securely, so nothing can be damaged when carried, and a Webley label should be affixed to the inner lid.
    I'm not keen on foam for holding rifles/pistols in cases as it can be affected by oil, and as someone has already pointed out, it can stick to metalwork.

Made by a company in the US just for gun cases. Great stuff, easy to cut and is firm to hold gun. The case is modern I’m not sure a period style inside actually would look right either. This foam is max protection with minimal effort? Here it is with English Hy-Score replacing rotted orginal.

A very nice case, but for me two wrongs don't make a right.

Brian

You can get sticky back baize that makes constructing dividers etc quite easy.

This is my one:

[IMG][/IMG]

If I were you I would save that case for a future project, where an appropriate case is not so obvious, and as has been suggested get an old Brady Shotgun case and fit it out with dividers.
    Such a nice MK2 deserves it!

It really is the only appropriate course of action.

Cheers,
    Matt

This was my cased three barrelled Service in a period leather case, no longer in my collection.

And here's another nicely laid out slightly larger case, although one of the barrels doesn't look right :

I actually have done both English and French casing. I actually like the French in that I think it holds the elements tighter and can look very elegant. I know this goes against the grain of what was the historic Service casing but kind of want to see how it looks. This foam is stiff enough I think I can glue cloth on it to give the French effect.

Dark green baize is nice too.

http://beeldbank.synology.me/Webley/...313/TINS12.JPG

===================
    Frank