Thread: Rivington Rifle Club

Rivington Rifle Club

Evening everyone,

Anyone here a member of Rivington rifles ? wanted to come and have a look around with my son with a view at joining,if the club is open over the holiday weekend ?
    Thanks
    Jo

Quote Originally Posted by JoVet View Post
    Evening everyone,

Anyone here a member of Rivington rifles ? wanted to come and have a look around with my son with a view at joining,if the club is open over the holiday weekend ?
    Thanks
    Jo
    Hi Jo,

Yes. I formed Rivington Riflemen 35 years ago and only in this January I relinquish the job to a younger, more handsome new club secretary (you have to keep in their good books ) 'Tin Can Tony'.
    In answer to your question, yes the clubs INDOOR range is open as per usual on Sunday 10am - 3pm. We do not open Saturdays. The other opening times are Weds & Thurs 6 - 9pm.
    If you contact 'Tin Can' Tony through the club web site (www.rivington-riflemen.uk) he will send you all the info you require with regards to times, directions to the Indoor range, prices etc.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Rivington Rifle club

Thank you Ian for the information and help !
    jo

Rivington Riflemen

Well I have been emailing Rivinginton Riflemen for the last few weeks trying to get information from them, and not 1 reply to my emails

So I went down there tonight to have a look round and nothing to see at all apart from a looked gate and not a single person around belonging to the so called club, not even any signs saying where the club house is, I even asked afew walkers if they new of Rivingington Riflemen and they didn't know anything and never heard of them, Great way to expand your club isn't it, Well if this is the sort of club they are running were they don't or won't respond to emails from someone wanting to join their club then I won't be joining their club.

Probably due to the recent passing of our friend I.J. but keep trying, Tony will get back to you eventually. As for locked gates i think you maybe went to the outside shoot. Col.

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Quote Originally Posted by colin g View Post
    Probably due to the recent passing of our friend I.J. but keep trying, Tony will get back to you eventually. As for locked gates i think you maybe went to the outside shoot. Col.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev58 View Post
    Well I have been emailing Rivinginton Riflemen for the last few weeks trying to get information from them, and not 1 reply to my emails

So I went down there tonight to have a look round and nothing to see at all apart from a looked gate and not a single person around belonging to the so called club, not even any signs saying where the club house is, I even asked afew walkers if they new of Rivingington Riflemen and they didn't know anything and never heard of them, Great way to expand your club isn't it, Well if this is the sort of club they are running were they don't or won't respond to emails from someone wanting to join their club then I won't be joining their club.
    We buried I.J. in November 2022.

As the club is situated on private land and is only open on certain days, we advise no one to approach the site unannounced.

The club can be contacted via the website;

www.rivington-riflemen .uk where contact and membership information is available.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

It must be borne in mind, that a substantial majority of rifle clubs of whatever type and a significant number of clay shoots are run on a totally voluntary basis. Running the club is done in members' spare time. Along with the straightforward tasks such as cutting the grass (don't forget to get the lawnmower serviced), sweeping the indoor range (the head has come off the broom again) there are a multitude of administrative tasks such as keeping membership lists up to date, ensuring subscriptions are paid and if it's Home Office Approved club a long list of additional things to comply with. The essential task have to be done, but sometimes when people are on holiday or away for work reasons or due to illness, if its' not essential it may not be done for a week or two. Below is a list; not comprehensive; of typical club officer roles:

Chair - Chief operating officer of the club
    Vice-Chair
    Secretary (Data Protection Officer) - Chief Administrative Officer of the club
    Treasurer - Financial Officer of the club
    Firearms Officer (Firearm Certificate Holder) - Nominated officer under terms of Home Office Approval
    Membership Secretary (Police Liaison Officer) - Nominated officer under terms of Home Office Approval
    Club Captain
    Competition Secretary
    Trophies and Awards Member
    Range Manager - Range facilities and safety manager
    Building Manager - Building maintenance, safety and security manager
    Information Systems Manager - Electronic and network systems manager
    Operations and Equipment Officer - Oversees the day to day running of the club and the upkeep and maintenance of shooting equipment.
    Training Officer
    Coach
    Safeguarding Officer
    Trustees
    Functional Appointments
    Range Conducting Officers
    Range and Duty Officer roster production
    Club website manager
    Club social media manager

Whilst some are combined, they still require a considerable number of bodies to cover them all.

Rutty

Quote Originally Posted by Kev58 View Post

Good evening Kev58,
    Sorry to hear that you are saying you have been trying to contact us at Rivi, well I don't know if you go by any other name, but I have looked through the clubs email back to Jan 23 and no emails from anyone by the name of Kev , Kevin or Aka58??

So, just to put a balanced post, we are still going strong following the passing of our dear founder Mr Ian Jones and long may we continue in his memory as long as I'm Secretary.
    So anyone interested in joining a club with both indoor and outdoor ranges, with a great members social side. Then don't hesitate, despite what has been posted earlier it is quite easy go on to our web site and follow the basic instruction and we will come back to you. You may see and notice the original email address has changed due to Ian's passing as he had the account for the original email.

Kev 58, I do which you all the very best in the future with your shooting.

Kind Regards
    Tony