Thread: A beautiful afternoon for a dream English Rifle shoot off

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A beautiful afternoon for a dream English Rifle shoot off

Never thought this would happen but we had a absolutely beautiful day here in Ohio so I had my BSA - Webley shootoff. I have had my BSA Light with 21b aperture sight for a while. It been my favorite backyard vintage rifle. Shoots a 7 grain Hobbys at 580 which is fine given its been used over the years, and is all original. To me these are just natural shooters. If I had to take one rifle to a vintage match this would be the one, though given my skill level I would loose. Lol

In the other corner is the new to me Webley Mark 2 Service. In the orginal manual it calls for #2 oil which is 30 weight motor oil, my favorite for vintage guns, that did the trick. I got it shooting 620 fps with 7 grain Hobbys. This rifle was serviced by one of the previous owners and it has a new ring and spring. It has a matching 22 barrel but I choose to use the John Knibbs .177 barrel. I found the rifle took some getting used to. Tried different holds but the one that worked best was holding the front trigger assembly in the palm of my hand. The rearward moving piston didn’t seem natural? The trigger was far superior to the BSA, really quite light.

The results give the edge to the BSA but we shall see if that keeps up as I get used to the very different characteristics of the Webley. If I had to choose which gun I would be happy just fondling it would be the Webley for sure. Iconic with a capital I.

The BSA

The Webley

Ah. Lovely!

That looks like a great way spend an afternoon outdoors.

Those are two very nice air rifles!
    My Webley mk2 and BSA club standard are both much scruffier in spite of having had some re-finishing, both still a joy to shoot though.
    I’m curious, what do you keep in the the asahi takumar less case?

Quote Originally Posted by DrGunn View Post
    Those are two very nice air rifles!
    My Webley mk2 and BSA club standard are both much scruffier in spite of having had some re-finishing, both still a joy to shoot though.
    I’m curious, what do you keep in the the asahi takumar less case?
    Monocular for spotting

A nice vintage duo you have there.