Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A beautiful afternoon for a dream English Rifle shoot off

A beautiful afternoon for a dream English Rifle shoot off

Never thought this would happen but we had a absolutely beautiful day here in Ohio so I had my BSA - Webley shootoff. I have had my BSA Light with 21b aperture sight for a while. It been my favorite backyard vintage rifle. Shoots a 7 grain Hobbys at 580 which is fine given its been used over the years, and is all original. To me these are just natural shooters. If I had to take one rifle to a vintage match this would be the one, though given my skill level I would loose. Lol

In the other corner is the new to me Webley Mark 2 Service. In the orginal manual it calls for #2 oil which is 30 weight motor oil, my favorite for vintage guns, that did the trick. I got it shooting 620 fps with 7 grain Hobbys. This rifle was serviced by one of the previous owners and it has a new ring and spring. It has a matching 22 barrel but I choose to use the John Knibbs .177 barrel. I found the rifle took some getting used to. Tried different holds but the one that worked best was holding the front trigger assembly in the palm of my hand. The rearward moving piston didn’t seem natural? The trigger was far superior to the BSA, really quite light.

The results give the edge to the BSA but we shall see if that keeps up as I get used to the very different characteristics of the Webley. If I had to choose which gun I would be happy just fondling it would be the Webley for sure. Iconic with a capital I.

The BSA

The Webley

Ah. Lovely!

That looks like a great way spend an afternoon outdoors.

Those are two very nice air rifles!
    My Webley mk2 and BSA club standard are both much scruffier in spite of having had some re-finishing, both still a joy to shoot though.
    I’m curious, what do you keep in the the asahi takumar less case?

Quote Originally Posted by DrGunn View Post
    Those are two very nice air rifles!
    My Webley mk2 and BSA club standard are both much scruffier in spite of having had some re-finishing, both still a joy to shoot though.
    I’m curious, what do you keep in the the asahi takumar less case?
    Monocular for spotting

A nice vintage duo you have there.

Got serious with the Webley Service. Took out the rear sight blade for best view with the aperture. Finally got my hold down with this rifle. My first three shots this afternoon. This rifle can shoot! This was with the .177 Knibbs barrel. The 22 barrel must be the larger English caliber not sure I have a 22 pellet that fills it well? The .177 is a tight fit, the 22 pellets just slide way it.

A lot of collectors say the Webley service does not shoot accurately and you have just proven that assertion to be incorrect Steve.

I've enjoyed some very good results with my Service air rifles in the past Steve and keep promising I'll report on my experience in my AGW column one of these days.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    A lot of collectors say the Webley service does not shoot accurately and you have just proven that assertion to be incorrect Steve.

I've enjoyed some very good results with my Service air rifles in the past…
    Same here, my light patterns are very accurate but with a bit of setting up I’ve had some uncannily accurate results with my Webley MK2.
    People told me the same sort of stuff about Britannia’s before I got one.
    Need to do some ‘Airgun Myth busters’ videos

Wish my MK2 was in as nice condition as yours Steve, great find.
    You’re obviously shooting it well.

Cheers,
    Matt

edbear2 Guest
    Contemporary account by a top small bore shooter;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/312284...th/3352408536/

ATB, ED

Fascinating to me is that shooting these two rifles is very different for me. Of course the direction of the piston is opposite so the feel and I think “hold” for the rifle needs to be different? This is made more difficult to access in that both rifles have no “fore grip”, not sure thats the right word? For the BSA I use a artillary hold under the tap. For the Service I tried something similar under the tube. I noticed the bluing was worn on the underside of the rail in front of the trigger. Started holding it loosely there and was very successful. I think this shorter hold near the trigger is better for the rearward piston movement and the balance of this rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post

I've enjoyed some very good results with my Service air rifles in the past Steve and keep promising I'll report on my experience in my AGW column one of these days.

John
    Took the Service out for my final personal test for accuracy. I have a 1.5 inch metal target 60 feet out from my table. One shot knocks it down and another one sets it back up. I have found my most accurate rifles will hit it about every time if I do my part. My BSA Light is one of those rifles. The Service nailed it with ease. Yes it’s a myth these can’t shoot well.

If I was going to a vintage shoot I would grab my Service the difference is the trigger is pretty awesome. My BSA Light is a 1919 and not adjustable. But here there is no vintage shoot to go to, have to change that!
    Last edited by 45flint; 03-05-2022 at 07:18 PM.

Stumbled across this post and thank you!

I’ve managed to waste a night and day researching these lovely
    Old rifles and now I find myself browsing online too!

Quote Originally Posted by Reevo17 View Post
    Stumbled across this post and thank you!

I’ve managed to waste a night and day researching these lovely
    Old rifles and now I find myself browsing online too!
    Fatal.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Fatal.
    Your gallery certainly doesn’t help!

Fantastic source of information thank you!