Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Crosman 1377 Modding

Quote Originally Posted by Biker_Bob View Post
    The JSBs work well for me, although they are getting very expensive.
    Maybe I'll investigate some others and report back, I've always started with Superdomes when I get a new gun as more often than not they work just fine but on this occasion I had some JSBs so I've stuck with them.
    The new Wasps look OK.

Maybe time to try lead free, get ahead of the curve?
    Thank you for that.

One thing I'll definitely not be doing, especially in the short term, is trying the lead-free stuff down my guns. And especially at those prices and in guns for plinking duties.

I'll give some of my other pellets a try as mentioned. Also, when switching pellets, I usually allow a good 20 or 30 conditioning ones before accuracy testing. Due to time constraints I didn't do that this time. So I'm guessing another 15 or 20 'Domes through it and then try for some serious groups might yield even more pleasing results?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    a redneck recrown often helps accuracy...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Why. Just why? Had a 1377 as a kid, and used to love it for the power, low weight and lack of recoil

I've now started following this thread, and being older, and possessing more tools now want another one! My old 1377 had a plunger at the rear that you pulled to set the trigger and a rotating cover/probe for the breech - is the new bolt action type a combination of both?

Any differences between the two variants currently available new? Can find them for sale with the older styled brown wood effect grip, and one with black plastic
    TX200 .177 21mm TL | TX200HC .22 22mm TL | Prosport .22 22mm TL
    HW40 | HW45 | Diana Mod5 | Webley Senior....... Because PCP is like kissing your sister (apparently)

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    A weaker striker spring would probably solve the legality issue, if the gun starts to get valve lock when pressures go too high,
    there cant be any chance of going over power?
    Yes, I think one of the problems for us in the UK, but one of the advantages in places without the same restrictions, is the "hammer" (striker) is a big heavy thing with a lot of travel. It would be good to know the optimum setup for consistent power keeping safely under. For me perfection would be 5 ft.lbs or just over in about 5 pumps with more pumps not doing anything more.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    a redneck recrown often helps accuracy...
    Yes, you and one or two others have often pointed this out, Jon. Definitely something I ought to have a look at. Maybe on this later 1377 and my 2240s.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper View Post
    Why. Just why? Had a 1377 as a kid, and used to love it for the power, low weight and lack of recoil

I've now started following this thread, and being older, and possessing more tools now want another one! My old 1377 had a plunger at the rear that you pulled to set the trigger and a rotating cover/probe for the breech - is the new bolt action type a combination of both?

Any differences between the two variants currently available new? Can find them for sale with the older styled brown wood effect grip, and one with black plastic
    There will be people out there better qualified to comment definitively. But, as I see it......

I love my little "mini-carbine" 1377, based on the Mark III with the plastic breech, wood effect grips and pump handle and bolt action. Then fitted with the steel breech, shoulder stock and 4x32 scope. Very, very accurate at garden ranges and a pleasure to use. Although I can definitely see the attraction of the "classic" layout of rear cocking knob and rotating breech cover, I prefer the idea of the bolt on these later ones.

Not sure exactly when the lower power ones came into play with the pressure relief hole in the valve. Maybe this co-incided with the black grips / pump arm. My later one is one of these. I think the black, angular grip gives a "mean and moody" look but I'm not convinced it feels as nice to pump.

You do need to watch out for it not becoming a "money pit" as it's so easy to get carried away with the spend and mods. Personally, unless you're really desperate to get back into 1377 ownership, I'd say the HW40 is the ultimate self-contained accurate pistol at a reasonable price point, and you already have one. And just one stroke and it's ready to play, making the multi-pumps seem superfluous. So keep and enjoy. Feel free to join in on the 1377 party, but be prepared for trials, tribulations and spendies as well as a degree of satisfaction.

The 1377 went away for a while and when it came back it was called the "American Classic", with black grips and pump arm.
    Very briefly there was also a 1322 available, I bought one, chrono'd it and took it back to the shop and he sent all the others back to the importers....
    Then another supply hiatus and they re-appeared and I believe that's when they went low powered - it's my understanding that these 1377 we get now are Canadian spec (I think they have a limit on FPS not on muzzle energy).

So they are all now black and they all have bolt loading and they all run about 3 ftlbs - but as described in my thread some time ago they are easy to fix.

I really don't understand the point of this hammer spring and flat top piston business. With a pumper you need to ensure that the valve is fully emptied on every shot, otherwise your velocity will be over the place and that means you need a strong hammer spring. Power is regulated by the number of pumps and ultimately limited by the differential pressure between the void ahead of the pump cup and the void inside the valve. If it takes 10 pumps to get to full power then it does, if you don't like pumping get a 2240.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    There will be people out there better qualified to comment definitively. But, as I see it......

I love my little "mini-carbine" 1377, based on the Mark III with the plastic breech, wood effect grips and pump handle and bolt action. Then fitted with the steel breech, shoulder stock and 4x32 scope. Very, very accurate at garden ranges and a pleasure to use. Although I can definitely see the attraction of the "classic" layout of rear cocking knob and rotating breech cover, I prefer the idea of the bolt on these later ones.

Not sure exactly when the lower power ones came into play with the pressure relief hole in the valve. Maybe this co-incided with the black grips / pump arm. My later one is one of these. I think the black, angular grip gives a "mean and moody" look but I'm not convinced it feels as nice to pump.

You do need to watch out for it not becoming a "money pit" as it's so easy to get carried away with the spend and mods. Personally, unless you're really desperate to get back into 1377 ownership, I'd say the HW40 is the ultimate self-contained accurate pistol at a reasonable price point, and you already have one. And just one stroke and it's ready to play, making the multi-pumps seem superfluous. So keep and enjoy. Feel free to join in on the 1377 party, but be prepared for trials, tribulations and spendies as well as a degree of satisfaction.
    HW40 is goood.... have even got new truglo elements in the sights and gone pack to scaring coke cans all the way out to 20yds with iron sights, it was just reading this thread that reminded me how good my old 1377 was! Going back 30+ years it may well have fallen into the era that the 1322's mentioned earlier were in, as at the time it was way more powerful than my other pistols (Tempest and an old Diana Mod5)
    TX200 .177 21mm TL | TX200HC .22 22mm TL | Prosport .22 22mm TL
    HW40 | HW45 | Diana Mod5 | Webley Senior....... Because PCP is like kissing your sister (apparently)