Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: We where spoilt in the 80's for Custom Rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Airmasters did it to their FWB sports in 1984 also. Mach 1.5
    Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    It makes more sense on the FWB sport than on HW80s, as the HW98 works well even with that heavy barrel shroud.
    Yep, although it was still a "topical" subject back then, I suppose. A bit of a legacy from those dark days where fixed barrel rifles were viewed in a more favourable light as regards accuracy. The FWB ball detent did always seem less solid than the more vault-like HW ones, and there were cases where the spigot would cause issues, I think? Point well and truly taken on the standard latch working well even with the heavier, shrouded 98 set-up. I wonder if the thinking behind a higher powered 80 might just create an environment where momentary and minute openings might occur due to all that extra momentum and inertia at play? Belt and braces, but extra reassurance.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Getting back to the thread title, were we spoilt ? I don't think we were, we just had lots of options and new rifles were a regular feature in the air gun mags that kept our interest fired.

Why are our options limited today, the VCR act has a lot to do with that.

Where are the Ken turners of yesteryear ?
    Hw77+7

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Yep, although it was still a "topical" subject back then, I suppose. A bit of a legacy from those dark days where fixed barrel rifles were viewed in a more favourable light as regards accuracy. The FWB ball detent did always seem less solid than the more vault-like HW ones, and there were cases where the spigot would cause issues, I think? Point well and truly taken on the standard latch working well even with the heavier, shrouded 98 set-up. I wonder if the thinking behind a higher powered 80 might just create an environment where momentary and minute openings might occur due to all that extra momentum and inertia at play? Belt and braces, but extra reassurance.
    My pro elite's lock up is like a sherman tank. Most solid lock up i have used on a break barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by HW55T View Post
    Getting back to the thread title, were we spoilt ? I don't think we were, we just had lots of options and new rifles were a regular feature in the air gun mags that kept our interest fired.

Why are our options limited today, the VCR act has a lot to do with that.

Where are the Ken turners of yesteryear ?

I'm pretty sure we were spoiled for choice in the 1980s John.

Besides the number of custom tuning houses there were back then, most of the classic springers that are still in production today were released in that decade.

Off the top of my head, here's some springers released in the 1980s that are still with us.

HW80
    HW77
    HW85
    HW90
    Diana 34
    Diana 52
    BSA Supersport

there's probably a few I've missed, and the other two top Weihrauchs today, the HW35 and HW50 were already in production before the 1980s, which is why I reckon we were spoiled for springer choice back then.

All the best Mick

sparko is offline One of Tiger Woods' lovers...
    Nice interesting thread … Thank you for starting this 👍
    Not sure where I`m going.....But I`ll get there someday

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I'm pretty sure we were spoiled for choice in the 1980s John.

Besides the number of custom tuning houses there were back then, most of the classic springers that are still in production today were released in that decade.

Off the top of my head, here's some springers released in the 1980s that are still with us.

HW80
    HW77
    HW85
    HW90
    Diana 34
    Diana 52
    BSA Supersport

there's probably a few I've missed, and the other two top Weihrauchs today, the HW35 and HW50 were already in production before the 1980s, which is why I reckon we were spoiled for springer choice back then.

All the best Mick
    Rose tinted specs or was that X-Ray-Specs Mick All very Punk

The 80/90's could be considered the hey day of springers

90's/2000 a cross over point between spring and pcp

2005 onwards remains the hey day of the Pneumatic

What could possibly be next ?

Lead free pellets that actually work as well as lead in all barrel old or new

Rail guns that fire a lazer pulse

Where does that leave us, the old timers

I'm sure the Hw90 was a 90's love child

All the best

John
    Last edited by HW777; 12-05-2022 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Added text
    Hw77+7

I thought that to John, but this magazine from January 1990 sat in front of me when I wrote the above. :-

image.jpg

As the January edition would have been available in December that puts the HW90's release date as November or December 1989.

All the best Mick

Not sure "we" were spoiled with choice back then, as those rifles, and certainly the custom variants, were well out of my reach as I guess they were for a lot of shooters.
    But it was certainly the heyday of springer development and custom work.

The availability of PCP's to the masses, likely saw the demise of the great work done in this period.

Lovers of springers from this period are likely of a "certain age". I was chatting with a mate the other day and wondered whether the appetite for the rifles from this period, and the famous tuning houses will wane, as time goes on, possibly with us getting older and falling off our perches.
    I have 2 sons in their late 20's who both shoot. They are simply not interested in springers, no matter how hard I try to encourage them.
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Not sure "we" were spoiled with choice back then, as those rifles, and certainly the custom variants, were well out of my reach as I guess they were for a lot of shooters.
    But it was certainly the heyday of springer development and custom work.

The availability of PCP's to the masses, likely saw the demise of the great work done in this period.

Lovers of springers from this period are likely of a "certain age". I was chatting with a mate the other day and wondered whether the appetite for the rifles from this period, and the famous tuning houses will wane, as time goes on, possibly with us getting older and falling off our perches.
    I have 2 sons in their late 20's who both shoot. They are simply not interested in springers, no matter how hard I try to encourage them.

I know what you mean, Rob.

But by the end of the 1980s I'd managed to buy a few of these classics we're looking back at now.
    I had a pair of MK2 HW77s, a HW35, an Airsporter S, a Setra, a Webley Hawk and a few Meteors, if I'd never have bought another gun these would have served me well until I died.
    Unfortunately when I joined the BBS I was like a kid in a sweet shop and just bought all the other guns I couldn't afford back then.
    This is probably why I still have a fascination for working on guns from that period --- they're not old guns to me.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I thought that to John, but this magazine from January 1990 sat in front of me when I wrote the above. :-

image.jpg

As the January edition would have been available in December that puts the HW90's release date as November or December 1989.

All the best Mick
    Hi Mick

All my old AGW & AG mags got throw away I used to reference them for info.

After the wall came down Hw & Theoben worked together and the Hw90 was the end result.

32 years later and Hw still haven't made anther gas ram rifle or and only one new model is a Hw57

It would seem no one is going to pick up the Theoben patent and make a SLR 88/98

The 57 could lend itself to a mag fed system and would be a plus point in getting younger people interested, my son gets really peeved off at having to cock n load for every shot, if he doesn't pull his finger out, my permission won't transfer over to him and all it would take is a self loading rifle made to a high standard to inspire him.

A Theoben SLR could be the answer but are all old ( 25 years + ) rifles now collected, rarely used and kept pristine just to retain their value ?

All the best

John
    Hw77+7

Hi Mick

All my old AGW & AG mags got throw away I used to reference them for info.

After the wall came down Hw & Theoben worked together and the Hw90 was the end result.

32 years later and Hw still haven't made anther gas ram rifle or and only one new model is a Hw57

It would seem no one is going to pick up the Theoben patent and make a SLR 88/98

The 57 could lend itself to a mag fed system and would be a plus point in getting younger people interested, my son gets really peeved off at having to cock n load for every shot, if he doesn't pull his finger out, my permission won't transfer over to him and all it would take is a self loading rifle made to a high standard to inspire him.

A Theoben SLR could be the answer but are all old ( 25 years + ) rifles now collected, rarely used and kept pristine just to retain their value ?

All the best

John
    Or a goldstar springer?

Rose tinted specs or was that X-Ray-Specs Mick All very Punk

The 80/90's could be considered the hey day of springers

90's/2000 a cross over point between spring and pcp

2005 onwards remains the hey day of the Pneumatic

What could possibly be next ?

Lead free pellets that actually work as well as lead in all barrel old or new

Rail guns that fire a lazer pulse

Where does that leave us, the old timers

All the best

John
    What could thrill us next? Rail gun air rifle version

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    What could thrill us next? Rail gun air rifle version
    It has a lot going for it

Non toxic clean cauterising kills on vermin

FT & HFT might have to rethink their targets though

And there could only be one name for a rifle like this

The Predator

As Arnie would say

I'll be back

After a quick recharge but I will be leaving the pcp and springer at home
    Hw77+7

Streatham armoury definitely were not part of vandenburgers in Eastbourne ,my long cherished 97k MK1 was bought there.
    Better add Chatham Gun shop to the list they made the Streatham mxl which later morphed into the stealth.

Vandenburger's were definitely not part of Streatham... Streatham was owned by a collector who hung his collection on the walls (really frustrating if you saw something you liked) He also was part of the custom scene with some unique custom models and it was them that produced the MXL not us at the Gun Shop Chatham, we did a lot of Aircartridge stuff including a bespoke OU twin barrelled rifle..