Thread: Non toxic, is .22 the new .177

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    er No, The spent pellet is largely going to remain inside the carcase of the vermin,.
    ideally yes but we both know thats not always the case, non lead around livestock isn't a perfect solution either as could also present issues due to over penetration and ricochet's in confined areas.
    'The person who sais it cannot be done should not interupt the person doing it' _ old chinese proverb

Which guns have chrome lined barrels! Mr steyr has this the gun shop said, I should think chrome lining would help against wear!

Mentions above is tungsten as an alternative, this is probably out as Denmark banned tungsten as well as lead, see article below, bismuth should be a suitable alternative, I’ve used it loads and it doesn’t shatter like it used to. Bismuth shot is manufactured in hull by gamebore and shipped to America and loaded into cartridges that are cheaper than steel shot cartridges, so it’s not as expensive as we pay in the uk!

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/news/da...n-tungsten-250

Quote Originally Posted by johnnytheboy View Post
    Which guns have chrome lined barrels! Mr steyr has this the gun shop said, I should think chrome lining would help against wear!

Mentions above is tungsten as an alternative, this is probably out as Denmark banned tungsten as well as lead, see article below, bismuth should be a suitable alternative, I’ve used it loads and it doesn’t shatter like it used to. Bismuth shot is manufactured in hull by gamebore and shipped to America and loaded into cartridges that are cheaper than steel shot cartridges, so it’s not as expensive as we pay in the uk!

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/news/da...n-tungsten-250
    That is correct I have a chromed barrel on my steyr.
    I have never bothered with lead free pellets, we’re is the evidence that lead free pellets cut right through vermin and then bounce around.. just curious!

Even still the chrome in the barrels will eventually wear down, steyr barrels are not cheap

Assume you mean where is the evidence.

Well at a colloquial level, I've had a .25 JSB non lead pass through a squirrels head & then through the bird feeder behind it,
    at a range where I regularly shoot them with the same (sub 12fpe) rifle using lead pellets with no pass through, I've not used them on prey since.

I've also had ricochets when the Pb free hit solid objects where the lead pellets just splat.

In the photo below all pellets have been fired in to my sub 12fpe trap, which uses 15mm of old magazines (3 thick) sandwiched between 9mm ply & a face of 8mm tongue & groove to which the target fits,
    so the pellet passes through the T&G & the paper stops it before it hits the ply backing, the T&G is simple to replace while the pellets are easy to recover from the paper.

Note all the lead pellets are flattened & generally are found embedded in the 2nd magazine thickness,
    OTOH the only damage to any of the lead free is where the skirt has been struck by following shots,
    in several places where multiple shots hit around the same spot they had reached the ply backing & a couple even passed through to dent the sheet steel frame behind it.