Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Non toxic, is .22 the new .177

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    I will be putting a couple through my 22mm tx200 .177 Saturday .
    I don't think that the reduced piston will effect much. I have a near standard HC so shooting them side by side may be interesting
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfish View Post
    I don't think that the reduced piston will effect much. I have a near standard HC so shooting them side by side may be interesting
    Yes this will be interesting to see your findings ,)

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrman View Post
    There is a long way to go yet, so for now, stop trying to fix the future without the tech to do it, and enjoy your shooting now.
    Just shot a non toxic .22 through the MFR
    2 inches low at 18m.
    Not impressed
    I will try them in the TX mk1. Maybe the weight will suit the springer better
    Quote Originally Posted by prosport.177 View Post
    Just wondering how the lead free is working in the small bore 22mm and 21mm stuff? Any feed back from the small bore crowd?

Quote Originally Posted by prosport.177 View Post
    Yes this will be interesting to see your findings ,)
    It will be most interesting to hear how you get on, Pete.

When I get the chance I'll also be searching out those reviews already conducted of various lead free pellets. I seem to recall that results have been pleasing for some combinations but awful for others so far.

As gsxrman says, once the lead free fodder is further developed, results and consistency will come.

My main concerns over cost and barrel material / composition / treating for hardness will remain, dictating suitability / whether we need to change barrels / guns etc.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Just shot a non toxic .22 through the MFR
    2 inches low at 18m.
    Not impressed
    I will try them in the TX mk1. Maybe the weight will suit the springer better
    Which non toxic ??
    Lead pellets give wildly different performance in different rifles so lead free are 99.9% certain to also perform better in some rifles than others.
    A low POI doesn't mean they're cr*p only that the gun would need re-zeroing to shoot them.

Anyway I've now got a few other lead free on order to do some comparisons, same as I do with lead.

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Which non toxic ??
    Lead pellets give wildly different performance in different rifles so lead free are 99.9% certain to also perform better in some rifles than others.
    A low POI doesn't mean they're cr*p only that the gun would need re-zeroing to shoot them.

Anyway I've now got a few other lead free on order to do some comparisons, same as I do with lead.
    BSA greenstar they were visibly slower
    Pete

In all this musing of lead free ammo, has anyone contacted H&N or JSB and asked what R&D is being undertaken in the field of Pb free pellets
    Hw77+7

Again, so how many have run out and bought New Electric Cars?
    Which, are still in R&D stage, not enough choice with Practical Range for a lot of people, not enough infrastructure anywhere.
    Still numerous hotels have just maybe a couple of charging ports if any, how many holiday parks a camp sites have them, or holiday cottages.
    By 2030 though, the choice of cars will be amazing, the range of most will be practical and the infrastructure across the UK will hopefully be in place.
    So, why are we still arsed about Lead Free when at the minute it is not, in the most part, ready or fit for purpose.
    Keep shooting Lead until there is a viable alternative to actually try.
    Sorry just a laid back logical thinker.
    VAYA CON DIOS

BSA greenstar they were visibly slower
    That's worrying, they're one of the brands I've got on order

Again, so how many have run out and bought New Electric Cars?
    Which, are still in R&D stage, not enough choice with Practical Range for a lot of people, not enough infrastructure anywhere.
    Still numerous hotels have just maybe a couple of charging ports if any, how many holiday parks a camp sites have them, or holiday cottages.
    By 2030 though, the choice of cars will be amazing, the range of most will be practical and the infrastructure across the UK will hopefully be in place.
    So, why are we still arsed about Lead Free when at the minute it is not, in the most part, ready or fit for purpose.
    Keep shooting Lead until there is a viable alternative to actually try.
    Sorry just a laid back logical thinker.
    Equally why stick your head in the sand

I can respond to the consultation paper with facts from from personal use / experience, not just hearsay,
    if I hear someone make a statement I know is incorrect, I can stand up & say so, I can also pass my feedback to the manufacturers.

If you're happy to be a mushroom, that's up to you, but don't then moan at the outcome

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Equally why stick your head in the sand

I can respond to the consultation paper with facts from from personal use / experience, not just hearsay,
    if I hear someone make a statement I know is incorrect, I can stand up & say so, I can also pass my feedback to the manufacturers.

If you're happy to be a mushroom, that's up to you, but don't then moan at the outcome
    Head not in sand dude, just not going to worry about something I cant directly detrmine the outcome myself.
    If shooting goes balls up Ill do something else, like ride my bike more, take up axe throwing, fishing or archery.
    Its just the tone being used like it is the end of the world.
    Life is just too short to worry about things that for the majority is just a hobby.
    Those that actually earn a living through shooting ( i dont mean taking a few rabbits into local butcher or a few quid for clearing rats on evening), "airguns anyway", are very rare compared to the hobbiest and people who do it for enjoyment, but are the only ones that should be concerned or anxious.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Increased cost means less people shooting, which means less gun shops and more increased cost. Very little will be gained for wildlife and you will pay 3 times as much for dodgy pellets. That is not good.

BB

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Head not in sand dude, just not going to worry about something I cant directly detrmine the outcome myself.
    If shooting goes balls up Ill do something else, like Ride, take up axe throwing, fishing or archery.
    Life is just too short to worry about things that for the majority is just a hobby.
    Those that actually earn a living through shooting ( i dont mean taking a few rabbits into local butcher or a few quid for clearing rats on evening), "airguns anyway", are very rare compared to the hobbiest and people who do it for enjoyment, but are the only ones that should be concerned or anxious.
    I agree with most of what you say BUT RIDE YOUR BIKE MORE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28QN3JNbIbI

I hope its archery you do lol

Quote Originally Posted by HW55T View Post
    In all this musing of lead free ammo, has anyone contacted H&N or JSB and asked what R&D is being undertaken in the field of Pb free pellets
    https://www.hn-sport.de/en/air-gun-h...rophy-green-22

Looks like H&N, at least, have been looking into this for a long time. From the mixed reports we have seen to date, much work to do still, it would seem. Our own ballisticboy has often said that the makers need to look at completely new designs to take into account the differing properties of the other metal mixes used and not just make lead free versions of familiar, existing designs. Maybe we can view these as "interim" attempts whilst the knowledge and further testing ramps up?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

If shooting goes balls up Ill do something else, like ride my bike more, take up axe throwing, fishing or archery.
    I guess that many people will share my views and emotions.....My livelihood does not depend on shooting airguns. However, I simply could not imagine life without them. I have been "into" them since about the age of twelve. This hobby / pastime / sport of ours has given me so much over the years. It has completely shaped and influenced my life. I have met so many lovely, genuine, helpful, friendly and knowledgeable people through my love of airguns. Many have become friends. And many of them the very, very, bestest friends one could wish to have. I, for one, won't be turning away lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    https://www.hn-sport.de/en/air-gun-h...rophy-green-22

Looks like H&N, at least, have been looking into this for a long time. From the mixed reports we have seen to date, much work to do still, it would seem. Our own ballisticboy has often said that the makers need to look at completely new designs to take into account the differing properties of the other metal mixes used and not just make lead free versions of familiar, existing designs. Maybe we can view these as "interim" attempts whilst the knowledge and further testing ramps up?
    Interesting that they state the max distance as 30m.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer