Thread: How to Reduce recoil ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc of France View Post
    Hi
    I guess to reduce the recoil you have to decrease the power.
    currently I'm shooting at 14 fpe and the test of the pellets on the scope does not hold the pellets.
    I see a lot of videos where the guys pose superimposed pellets and nothing moves...
    Or add weight

At 14 ft lbs with a properly matched transfer port/spring/guide set up - I'd expect not much difference from uk power rifle, certainly pellet easily capable of balancing on a scope turret
    Last edited by PCPShooter; 11-05-2022 at 04:09 PM.
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Softer spring with more preload (to get the power back). Lighter piston, lighter pellets. Less power.

More weight high up will reduce the lift when it recoils. Try chunky steel mounts as they will be heavier.

BB

Just get a Giss Diana and be done with it.)
    They do the best multiple stacked pellet balancing trick.

Measured recoil displacement is a product of the piston stroke divided by the relationship between the weight of the internal components as compared to the all-up weight. So, in very basic terms, if you have a 90mm stroke and the gun weighs ten times more than the piston (plus half the mainspring mass?) you'll have 9mm recoil displacement. You can't argue with those physics. But that's a very simplistic calculation. The first forward piston stroke will not be completed due to piston bounce, so has to be taken into account. And it might well be the piston bounce (surge) that is the perceived "recoil" and which might be more detrimental. Many of these things can be mitigated by tuning etc.....longer, softer spring, rate, preload, piston weight, TP size, pellet used, seal fit etc. But also, as mentioned, by altering the weight and balance of the gun. In some cases, unless it is severe or definitely detrimental, it can be wiser to put it to the back of your mind, spend quality time getting to know your combination intimately, gelling with it and getting the practice in.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Nicely put Tony, also be aware it's not just the amount of recoil ie the movement, but the energy in that movement, surge is more detrimental to ease of use in my opinion.
    Oh and the pellet balancing thing doesn't show you if a gun is easy to shoot or not .

Always found the 77 even at that power level and in .177 easy to shoot.
    Recoil just needs to consistent, then it can be managed. 77 always nudged forward, tx always up, both easy to manage.
    If you need the power and less recoil Try HW77+23!
    VAYA CON DIOS

Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    Nicely put Tony, also be aware it's not just the amount of recoil ie the movement, but the energy in that movement, surge is more detrimental to ease of use in my opinion.
    Oh and the pellet balancing thing doesn't show you if a gun is easy to shoot or not .
    Cheers, Nick. And good further observations and information.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    So, in very basic terms, if you have a 90mm stroke and the gun weighs ten times more than the piston (plus half the mainspring mass?) you'll have 9mm recoil displacement.
    Plus a third of the piston mass is more accurate in my experience, Tony.

Thanks all for your contribution.
    I try start with réduction power around 11/11.5 FT/lbs, try with an 26/27 coils spring...

I try start with réduction power around 11/11.5 FT/lbs, try with an 26/27 coils spring...
    Good lubrication, well fitting parts, transfer port size and the right weight pellet go a long way to balance the firing stroke of a rifle.

One thing I think your not allowing for Marc, spring rifles take time to bed in and your not giving the tune set up time settle into a smooth cycling rifle.

I had a Hw77 almost bereft of lube but had seen 15,000 + pellets without being taken apart, it was one of the smoothest rifles I've ever shot.
    Hw77+7

Maccari has a reduced power spring for sub FAC:
    https://www.airrifleheadquarters.com...8/10379679.htm

I just bought a small batch of these, and will try them in the 97/77 over the summer.
    They are 29/30 coils of about 3mm wire, at about 14mm ID, which should make for a quite soft spring compared to a lot of other springs for the 97/77.
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    Plus a third of the piston mass is more accurate in my experience, Tony.
    Thank you, Jim.

A lot of the Weihrauch 35s and 95s I work on, the first thing I do is open the transfer port to 3.4mm. This has a dramatic effect on smoothness and recoil. You can reduce the spring length by 3 coils and still get the same power with hardly any preload. When I bought my HW95 in .20 it was horrible to shoot and you could not hold the scope on target after firing, it recoiled away so you could not see the pellet impact. It now shoots smoothly and easier to cock. There was a lovely HW35E sold at Kempton on Sunday that I worked on that some lucky guy will enjoy shooting.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Port opening is probably beneficial for optimal sub-FAC setups on many guns. I'm contemplating opening the port on one of my 26mm 77/97 comp tubes.
    However, a lot of us wish to find setups that give good performance without doing "irreversible" (ports can be sleeved) changes to our guns, which limits us to spring changes and playing with tophat materials/weights.
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    Softer spring with more preload (to get the power back). Lighter piston, lighter pellets. Less power.

More weight high up will reduce the lift when it recoils. Try chunky steel mounts as they will be heavier.

BB
    I have a Diana 48 that when scoped up weighs the best part of 11lb. I have fitted nearly every allegedly 'soft' spring available in an effort to reduce recoil and all of them failed miserably. Preload from nothing to one spacer back from being coil bound makes little to no difference on this gun which must be one of the heaviest made. That said, after learning to live with the recoil and adjusting hold to suit it is one of the most accurate springer guns I have