Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Multiple pellets stuck in barrel.

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35

Multiple pellets stuck in barrel.

Hi all,
    I might as well ask on here first, I bought a BSA Airsporter Stutzen at the bash which has 4 or 5 pellets stuck in the barrel, some good advice has already been given but any more would be grateful on how to remove these pellets, if I need to push these pellets out with a metal rod and the aid of a persuader (hammer), what metal would you recommend, I'm thinking brass or may be steel of some sort but what type as I don't want to damage the bore but I don't want the rod deforming either.

Your thoughts please gents.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Hi all,
    I might as well ask on here first, I bought a BSA Airsporter Stutzen at the bash which has 4 or 5 pellets stuck in the barrel, some good advice has already been given but any more would be grateful on how to remove these pellets, if I need to push these pellets out with a metal rod and the aid of a persuader (hammer), what metal would you recommend, I'm thinking brass or may be steel of some sort but what type as I don't want to damage the bore but I don't want the rod deforming either.

Your thoughts please gents.

Pete
    Some kits have screw end rods, You can push and twist and bit by bit will brake the pellet down and come out in pieces,

As above . Some use a wood screw to wind into the pellet and try to pull it out if you can get into the rear of the pellets. Seeing as you cant with the BSA , going in the front is your only option.

If it's 22 a 5mm brass rod or 4mm if 177 and make it only just long enough to punch the pellet's out as if it's to long you stand a chance of bending it when you are hitting it.

I would suggest several 100mm long steel rods in 4mm dia for 177 and 5mm for 22 with the end on the first to be introduced into the bore slightly rounded. Anything longer than 100mm will bend if the blockage needs driving out. Put the first rod in and tap it down flush with the muzzle then tap the next rod in and continue until the blockage is pushed out. It works every time and does not damage the rifling.

Many thanks for the replies so far, luckily the Stutzen has the carbine barrel so it's only around 13 inches long so doesn't need an overly long rod, I like the separate 100mm idea, makes sense.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I'd use brass rods.

Hello, if it's 22 I use wood dowel

That’ll be tricky pushing them one at a time into the loading tap, let us know how you get on. Being a springer do you think the spring or piston seal has failed ?

Norm

The pellets need pulling out from behind. The three piece rods you get with cleaning kits work. Leave off the cleaning brush and you can twist and drive the thread at the end of the rod into the skirt of the pellet from behind and they will pull out with no danger to the bore. I have done this method quite a few times. If they have been in there for ages gently heat the blocked area up with a hair drier or hot air gun at low setting first, that wil break the seal. If the rods are too short, Its easy enough to make an extention section from some dowel etc. If its 22 you can use a one piece rifle cleaning rod.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fixit-Norm View Post
    That’ll be tricky pushing them one at a time into the loading tap, let us know how you get on. Being a springer do you think the spring or piston seal has failed ?

Norm
    I'm thinking something like the seal has failed, they are about 3 inches from the end of the barrel, so they have most probably just not exited the barrel due to lack of power.

Pete

Seeing as your outlook has changed somewhat in recent times and you are now much more complimentary towards certain of Hermann's models, I won't suggest any "drastic" plans of attack, Pete.

Hope you get it sorted.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Chippendale is offline Well stuff me, you live and learn.
    First, I am no scientist or chemist i know nothing about chemicals, but would a mild solution of some type of acid poured in from behind eventually dissolve the lead or would the acid attack the steel bore?

I used to clean anodising off aluminium sometimes with caustic soda, I wonder if a mild solution of that would dissolve the lead?

Pushing a rod from the rear through the RB thats been suggested would be difficult without bending the rod.

I saw the Stutzen on the table and If I hadn't already have one I would have purchased that gun, If thats the only thing thats wrong with it, it was a bargain. Even if the seal has gone that has been suggested it's still a bargain, in my opinion they are stunning looking guns.

Melv

Chippendale
    Last edited by Chippendale; 16-05-2022 at 06:13 AM.

cant give any advice but hope you get it sorted

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Seeing as your outlook has changed somewhat in recent times and you are now much more complimentary towards certain of Hermann's models, I won't suggest any "drastic" plans of attack, Pete.

Hope you get it sorted.
    I know at the end of the day Tone that most of the HWs produced are pretty good rifles, but like we discussed it's just annoying that the Germans make them and none of our existing British companies can be bothered to make one on the same level of quality.

But the 35 is still ugly but it did shoot nice.

Pete