Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Multiple pellets stuck in barrel.

I wish I knew this yesterday. I have a tool for the job.
    If it's only three you can push them out. Anymore and they tend to jam together and won't budge.
    I have a slide hammer with a fine screw on the end. The most pellets I have taken out is 27, most recent 23. It hard to count when the lump is solid.
    Pellets stuck in a springer are unusual. Mostly PCP's low on air.

I can make you up a tool but I will have to get some Rod.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippendale View Post
    First, I am no scientist or chemist i know nothing about chemicals, but would a mild solution of some type of acid poured in from behind eventually dissolve the lead or would the acid attack the steel bore?

Chippendale
    Yes. Stay away from adding any chemicals. The advice given re the cleaning rods and extracting pellet by pellet from the muzzle is the way to go.

Why did it happen? my guess is the piston O ring or buffer washer are naff, or both. Most likely buffer is naff which restricted the piston travel.
    Good luck.
    Cheers, Phil

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Yes. Stay away from adding any chemicals. The advice given re the cleaning rods and extracting pellet by pellet from the muzzle is the way to go.

Why did it happen? my guess is the piston O ring or buffer washer are naff, or both. Most likely buffer is naff which restricted the piston travel.
    Good luck.
    Cheers, Phil
    The RB2s have the later parachute seal as fitted to the Supersport/star.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Many thanks for the replies so far, luckily the Stutzen has the carbine barrel so it's only around 13 inches long so doesn't need an overly long rod, I like the separate 100mm idea, makes sense.

Pete
    If you remove the tap it will become easier to fish out the deformed pellets. If you stick to the sizes I suggest the rifling will not be harmed. Recently I had a S400 with two magazines worth of pellets wedged solidly in one column in the barrel, the rods removed them with no harm to the rifling.

Chippendale is offline Well stuff me, you live and learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4end View Post
    If you remove the tap it will become easier to fish out the deformed pellets. If you stick to the sizes I suggest the rifling will not be harmed. Recently I had a S400 with two magazines worth of pellets wedged solidly in one column in the barrel, the rods removed them with no harm to the rifling.

Tap, it's a rotating breech, hence RB Stutzen i think.

Chippendale

Quote Originally Posted by Chippendale View Post
    Tap, it's a rotating breech, hence RB Stutzen i think.

Chippendale
    Indeed so but if you cock the gun and take the thumb lever out the rotary breech block, you can push it down the cylinder so allowing the pellets to hopefully come out easily into the cylinder.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

The RB2s have the later parachute seal as fitted to the Supersport/star.

Pete
    Thanks Pete ... I did not know that. Another snippet added to the memory bank.
    Cheers, Phil

Chippendale is offline Well stuff me, you live and learn.
    Indeed so but if you cock the gun and take the thumb lever out the rotary breech block, you can push it down the cylinder so allowing the pellets to hopefully come out easily into the cylinder.

Pete
    Of course, I didn't realise you were taking the gun out of the stock and stripping it, apologies.

Melv

Chippendale. (with clothes on)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Thanks Pete ... I did not know that. Another snippet added to the memory bank.
    Cheers, Phil
    Yes and the cylinder bore is 29mm not 28mm like the tap loaders.

Pete

Well they are all out, I remembered I had an old barrel cleaning kit in the loft, so decided to sharpen the threaded end into a point, tapping it into the stuck pellets and then twisting a few times had chunks coming out like corks, in total the pellets where 2 inches long and basically all mashed together, I then took the risk of firing a new pellet out and it left the bore doing 10.8ftp, so I wouldn't say that there's much damage to the piston seal, result if you ask me.

Pete

I wonder if the seal or spring or something was damaged and the pellets got stuck in the barrel, then the owner replaced some parts then tried a couple more pellets and when they didnt come out, wrote it off as totally broke?
    Or, is it possible theres an intermittent fault?
    It's a conundrum.

Edit,: also could it be possible that the rifle was fired with the muzzle submerged in water?
    Donald

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post

Edit,: also could it be possible that the rifle was fired with the muzzle submerged in water?
    Hi Donald !

That’s interesting. Would that stop a pellet leaving the barrel then ??
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

There was a bad batch of I think Smk pellets going round a while ago that we’re getting stuck apparently due to them being oversized, the shop was selling them off cheap in a bid to clear them out and be done with them.

Quote Originally Posted by NewPaul View Post
    Hi Donald !

That’s interesting. Would that stop a pellet leaving the barrel then ??
    Hi Paul! Hows it going buddy?
    I'm just thinking about firearms barrels exploding when they get blocked with mud or such like... the amount of pressure behind the blockage is enough to burst the barrel into a birdcage (at least it did fir Elmer fudd!)
    I'm thinking an air rifle wouldnt produce enough pressure to do the same but I reckon a blockage or the muzzle being submerged could be enough to stop the pellet in the barrel and the pressure would be forced back behind the pellet and be absorbed by the piston and spring.

I'm just hypothesizing here though. Maybe one of our ballistic experts could prove my theory right or wrong?

I'm just interested why the barrel was full of pellets, but once cleared, seems to work fine. I love a mystery!
    Donald

Well they are all out, I remembered I had an old barrel cleaning kit in the loft, so decided to sharpen the threaded end into a point, tapping it into the stuck pellets and then twisting a few times had chunks coming out like corks, in total the pellets where 2 inches long and basically all mashed together, I then took the risk of firing a new pellet out and it left the bore doing 10.8ftp, so I wouldn't say that there's much damage to the piston seal, result if you ask me.

Pete
    Great to hear that you have got it sorted, Pete.. Are you going to give it a quick service / internal check over anyway, despite the healthy output, to put your mind at rest? Well done.

And some top, useful advice, as always, from the BBS collective and fine offer from Neil.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!