Thread: New Millita rifle in I知 betting its a very early FLZ? Interesting stock for sure!

New Millita rifle in I知 betting its a very early FLZ? Interesting stock for sure!

I just picked this up, had to have it given its very early characteristics and I think coming from Zella Mehlis? Very curious as to thoughts of time of manufacture and if anyone disagrees with FLZ? I have never seen a Bavarian stock and trigger guard like this on a Millita? I think it shows a very early example I think pre-WW1? If you look at the 1902 Oscar Will catalog in the Gallery many of his guns at the time had these Bavarian characteristics. I don’t think it is from him but they are in the same town and the same influences. The checkering and inletting are very well done. A step up from what we would see later. The letter G below the number on the breech must mean something? Surely not just G for Germany? Its a 25 cal smooth bore so I am assuming this was a dart gun? Did they have 25 cal pellets back then? It does have good compression but it needs a new leather breech seal. Ballistics report later! Lol. Would love any thoughts.

It did clean up pretty well from when I got it but I don’t think I’m going to go any further with the stock? Its patina in some places is black but just looks so right, like a old musket. We will see.

https://imgur.com/a/MYYqjnc
    Last edited by 45flint; 05-06-2022 at 05:50 PM.

I love the trigger guard on the top one, and the stock looks really nice as is.

I believe the side button barrel release was the earlier of the three types found on what we imported into the U.K. and rebranded as Milita, maybe 1900?

Hiller has some disjointed info on the Milita痴.

He suggests the other one was known over here as the lightweight Milita.

.25 was probably for darts or slugs? The Diabolo pellet was invented around 1905.
    Nice guns.

Cheers,
    Matt

The guys on the mostly German Facebook page “Vintage Airgun Collecting” are amazing. They have the old German catalogs. Got this picture from them of a 1910 catalog showing my rifle. He says that it is indeed FLZ I’m sure before they started using those initials. Its now officially the oldest airgun I own. Just put a new leather breech seal in. Unfortunately I have no darts or 25 cal pellets. Lol

Last edited by 45flint; 05-06-2022 at 09:14 PM.

One fellow on that Facebook page has virtually every airgun you can come up with! His collection must be massive.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    One fellow on that Facebook page has virtually every airgun you can come up with! His collection must be massive.

That will be Guido Heidemann, he restores them too, Even if they were cheap and not very good in their day, He sees them all as worthy to be restored

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

I just picked this up, had to have it given its very early characteristics and I think coming from Zella Mehlis? Very curious as to thoughts of time of manufacture and if anyone disagrees with FLZ? I have never seen a Bavarian stock and trigger guard like this on a Millita? I think it shows a very early example I think pre-WW1? If you look at the 1902 Oscar Will catalog in the Gallery many of his guns at the time had these Bavarian characteristics. I don稚 think it is from him but they are in the same town and the same influences. The checkering and inletting are very well done. A step up from what we would see later. The letter G below the number on the breech must mean something? Surely not just G for Germany? Its a 25 cal smooth bore so I am assuming this was a dart gun? Did they have 25 cal pellets back then? It does have good compression but it needs a new leather breech seal. Ballistics report later! Lol. Would love any thoughts.

It did clean up pretty well from when I got it but I don稚 think I知 going to go any further with the stock? Its patina in some places is black but just looks so right, like a old musket. We will see.

https://imgur.com/a/MYYqjnc
    Beautiful rifle, Steve. You've done it yet again!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

This is interesting to me. On the 1910 catalog in the description it has #7807. On the tube of my rifle are the numbers #7551. Is that a model number or the serial number? On the breech the barrel is numbered in the 16,000’s?

The German guys chimed in that the 7807 is the catalog ordering number nothing to do with the gun. Nevermind. Lol

Last edited by 45flint; 07-06-2022 at 10:22 AM.

Millita ?

This is interesting to me. On the 1910 catalog in the description it has #7807. On the tube of my rifle are the numbers #7551. Is that a model number or the serial number? On the breech the barrel is numbered in the 16,000痴?

The German guys chimed in that the 7807 is the catalog ordering number nothing to do with the gun. Nevermind. Lol

Hi Steve, I have a very similar gun, .25 smooth bore [same as seen on front cover of Dennis Hillers book ] it has a 'shot gun' style stock & does not have the intricate trigger guard or grooved trigger, as yours. The ID on mine, ' MANUFACTURED IN GERMANY ' on R/H top of octagonal barrel, 'Millita' trade mark on top & 'Millita registered' on L/H. The what I believe is the serial number on mine is 5530, is stamped on the trigger block [similar to yours] & next to it on the tube, it is also stamped on the breech.
    It is one of my favourite toys , I managed to get some .22 darts a few years ago , & sort of built them up with 'sticky' tape to .25 , have had some good fun playing 'Round the board' !
    PS. as regards the crack in the stock, " If it's not broken, then don't fix it" I think, a bit of bees wax mixed with a dark wood stain & wiped in?

Ballistics report! Lol. Got some 24.7 grain pellets which is asking a lot from this old rifle. Pushed them out at 4.5 FPE. Trilled it works! All good.