Thread: Leslie Wesley... first (patented) inventor of the CO2 capsule airgun?

Leslie Wesley... first (patented) inventor of the CO2 capsule airgun?

Time to stir the pot again...

Over the weekend I was looking up some patents when I came across one by Leslie Wesley. I'm sure many of you have heard of Leslie, gun collector, gun shop owner and author of Air Guns and Air Pistols of the 1950's. This particular patent was submitted on Feb 4th 1946 for an air pistol that used a CO2 "sparklet" bulb. Here's a link to the patent:

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/pate...pn%3DGB607444A

I suspect most haven't heard about this patent. The only mention in the airgun world that I could find was a very short note in an article by John Atkins in which he said that the pistol wasn't commercially produced but Leslie did make a few that are still in circulation.

The only other CO2 pistol to use sparklets at the time was the Schimel which has been credited to be the first production CO2 air pistol to use sparklets. There is mention on a no longer available website of the Schimel that the first guns were produced in 1945 in Clifford Schimel's garage. Full production did not begin until 1946. The website was generated by David and Jon Schimel, descendants of the original inventors. Some have suggested that this information is incorrect and it wasn't until 1949 that the Schimel was produced.

Now considering how long it takes to create a patent and the design process, it's conceivable that Leslie's CO2 pistol would have been designed and made in 1945 too.

If the information from Schimel's descendants is correct, albeit with no official documents to prove it, then this would appear to be a very close race. Certainly if the 1949 date is true then that would put Leslie's invention in the lead.

Sadly, Leslie's gun didn't go into mass-production unlike the Schimel. Thus the Schimel would still be considered the first mass-produced air pistol to use CO2 sparklets.

Just imagine if Leslie's pistol had gone into mass production. He could have become Europe's Crosman.

I don't think there are any earlier patents which incorporate CO2 sparklets into airguns. If you know of any, I'm all ears!

Does anyone have one of Leslie's pistols or know of any photographs? I'm sure we'd all love to see it.

All the best,
    Jimmie

Fascinating Jimmie. Never heard of it.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Not only have I never heard of it, I have never seen or know anybody who has one !

Be great if a member has one and hosts a photo of an example.

Oddly, Leslie didn't mention his CO2 pistol in his own book.

John Atkins may know. He was a friend of Les Wes. I'll ask.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

From the drawing it looks to me very like a Crosman. I wonder if they pinched the idea ? (Hurriedly takes cover..)

Atb.
    Mark

PS Anybody know when and where Sparklets originated ? I'm guessing 1920s USA, only because I seem to remember people being squirted with soda in some old comedy films ..

CO2 bulbs were used as early as 1896 if not earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmieDee View Post
    CO2 bulbs were used as early as 1896 if not earlier.

By Jove ! An English invention and company .

They appear to have varied a bit in shape over the years . Looks like they are collectable !

The wasters who leave 8 gram capsules littering the bus stops around here just do not realise that they are snorting English industrial history.

Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    The wasters who leave 8 gram capsules littering the bus stops around here just do not realise that they are snorting English industrial history.

I know . What is it about bus stops ?

Les Wes

Quote Originally Posted by JimmieDee View Post
    Oddly, Leslie didn't mention his CO2 pistol in his own book.
    Page's 138 & 139 ! kind regards Al.

So he did! Thanks.

John Atkins replied, saying that some prototypes of Les Wes's CO2 pistols were made. Joe Gilbart, the late collector, sold a .22 cal. one in 1982 at auction, with ivory grips and an alloy frame, but it made only about £14 or so, John recalls, perhaps bundled with a Smith & Wesson 79G, because nobody wanted CO2 guns at the time (they were FAC only). Joe wrote about the pistol in his Guns Review column, he thinks.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery