Thread: Bisley Phoenix Arms Fair.

Bisley Phoenix Arms Fair.

I attended the Phoenix Arms Fair at Bisley yesterday for the first time in two years thanks to Covid restrictions. I still shoot firearms so although not very air gun oriented, this still makes for a nice day out and a catch up with fellow enthusiasts.
    As I say, not much unusual from the few air gun tables, but I did see this Webley spares box on one of the other stands. It's obviously not complete and has a tape repair to the lid, but otherwise in fair general condition. I haven't come across too many of these so am not sure if £225 is over the top or not.

Brian

glad you had a good time

Hi Brian, I saw that as well, the show was the smallest Phoenix show, I've ever been to.

Although I did manage to come away with a few bits.

How many of the individual boxes contained spares, Brian ?
    I sold a couple of brand new spares boxes containing unused individual boxes with loose labels several months ago, and I have several boxes in the loft in various states so will have to get them down, although I know none of them contain spares at present.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    How many of the individual boxes contained spares, Brian ?
    I sold a couple of brand new spares boxes containing unused individual boxes with loose labels several months ago, and I have several boxes in the loft in various states so will have to get them down, although I know none of them contain spares at present.
    Hello David,
    Unfortunately, the box was covered with a clear protective film, so I wasn't able to establish how many of the individual boxes were filled.
    I note Protek have three of these boxes in varying condition but none with much in the way of contents.

http://www.proteksupplies.co.uk/133-...ble-stuff.html

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    Hi Brian, I saw that as well, the show was the smallest Phoenix show, I've ever been to.

Although I did manage to come away with a few bits.
    I agree it was quiet for one of these shows, but I guess that this is only to be expected after the break with the high prices the NRA charge stallholders not helping.
    It was probably busier on Friday and Saturday, but I wasn't really looking for anything in particular although I did replenish some consumable stocks.
    The traffic is obviously much lighter on Sunday especially in the Guildford area making the trip more enjoyable and still worth the trouble.
    Were the few bits you came away with airgun related or are you also in the market for firearm related items?

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    I agree it was quiet for one of these shows, but I guess that this is only to be expected after the break with the high prices the NRA charge stallholders not helping.
    It was probably busier on Friday and Saturday, but I wasn't really looking for anything in particular although I did replenish some consumable stocks.
    The traffic is obviously much lighter on Sunday especially in the Guildford area making the trip more enjoyable and still worth the trouble.
    Were the few bits you came away with airgun related or are you also in the market for firearm related items?

Brian
    Came away with a powder flask and the last 150 rounds of a very pretty S&B .38 FMJ that C&G had.

Tempted by the Mossberg 50O with the slug barrel with rifle sights on one of the stands.

Oh and handled some very nice straight pull SLRs and M1's on another of the stands.

Hopefully the Trafalgar meeting in October will be a bit busier, but I still miss the Imperial and Bisley Classic Arms Fairs which were once regular dates in my calendar. The excellent Kempton Park fairs organised by Binners and his team help tremendously, but I used to really enjoy the mixture of firearm and air gun tables at Bisley and of course there were also some shooting events adding to the background. I recall there was a failed attempt hold the Kempton Fair at Bisley some time ago which had to be hastily relocated due to some NRA interference. Maybe this could be considered again in the future even if on an alternating basis with Kempton Park if this was acceptable to all parties.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 03-06-2022 at 06:21 PM.

Hello David,
    Unfortunately, the box was covered with a clear protective film, so I wasn't able to establish how many of the individual boxes were filled.
    I note Protek have three of these boxes in varying condition but none with much in the way of contents.

http://www.proteksupplies.co.uk/133-...ble-stuff.html

Brian
    Those boxes have been on Protek's site for a while, Brian, but at least it gives one an idea as to value.
    I think I have a later box containing blue plastic boxes instead of the white card boxes, but I'll have to get them down from the loft to check, and then offer them for sale; they've been there for twenty plus years.

Brian
    Hi Brian,

I have it on good authority that the tent was half empty of stallholders on Friday morning and empty tables were being carted off as the fair opened.

I used to love the Phoenix of old, when it was a proper fair. When I saw an image of this year's stalls taken from the entrance, I decided it was not worth the petrol for a trip up over the weekend. All very sad.

Still we have Kempton in 3 1/2 weeks to look forward to.

I can't wait for that one!

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Brian,

I have it on good authority that the tent was half empty of stallholders on Friday morning and empty tables were being carted off as the fair opened.

I used to love the Phoenix of old, when it was a proper fair. When I saw an image of this year's stalls taken from the entrance, I decided it was not worth the petrol for a trip up over the weekend. All very sad.

Still we have Kempton in 3 1/2 weeks to look forward to.

I can't wait for that one!

Kind regards,

John
    I really went to buy some consumables and to be honest it was quite nice to just get back to Bisley after a couple of difficult years. I must admit the front of the Marquee looked a bit bare when I arrived, but there were enough traders present to make it worthwhile once inside.
    As I say, nothing unusual for air gunners, but still nice to browse the modern and antique firearms on display.

Brian

Sad to see

Never seen any Bisley event so sparse. I offered to put a Summer Fair on at the 'World Home' of shooting a few years ago with free entry to the public and NRA scuppered it!

Unfortunately it would appear the current management of the NRA are still maintaining the age old prejudice that 'Air Gunners' are not proper shooters, which, when one considers how much some air gunners spend on their equipment, is totally ludicrous.
    I found this locally when I was thinking of joining the local 'gun' club, but as there was no dedicated air gun sessions, and I did not fancy shooting alongside black powder burners, I didn't bother joining. They had built a dedicated pistol range in their loft, but nothing specifically for air rifles.