Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: The Lesser Spotted Original/Diana 35

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post

Next up is piston weight back down in the 270s with factory 33 coil Spring.

This will give an indication of what power can be achieved with a Protek synthetic seal conversion kit and a factory Spring for the folks without a lathe.
    With the "Original/Diana" factory 33 coil Spring with 276 gram piston, chrono results were :-

Hobbies = 580fps

Superdomes = 500fps

So I stripped the gun again and weighted the piston back up to 305 grams and put the 28 coil Spring back in but added 4mm of extra preload to see if it would lift the power a tad, results :-

Hobbies = 610fps

Superdomes = 590fps

So the tune I've now chosen to go with is the 270gram piston with 28 coil HW95 Spring with 16mm total preload that gave 11.6ftlbs with Hobbies.

11.6ftlbs will do me for a bit of paper punching in the garden and dealing with the occasional rat.

All the best Mick

How does it feel to shoot in this current tune, Mick?

If you're happy with the cycle and the resulting accuracy, is this "job done" now?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    How does it feel to shoot in this current tune, Mick?

If you're happy with the cycle and the resulting accuracy, is this "job done" now?
    I'm not happy with the firing cycle with the 305 gram piston, Tone.

The best firing cycle was with the 276 gram piston with Hobbies giving 11.6ftlbs which is why I'm going to strip the gun back down and reset to that tune.
    With the 276 gram piston the firing cycle was not quite right with Superdomes for some reason, but firing Hobbies was really nice, it's hard to describe but with Hobbies everything seemed to work in a no nonsense fashion --- I pulled the trigger, the piston shot forward and the pellet came out with very little movement of the gun.

All the best Mick

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    big difference in weight between the hobbies and the domes.. pick and one tune for it
    300g is going to get a bit heavy in terms of recoil, so I think your 276g is bang on. Just play with springs / add preload to taste
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Guessing we're now getting into "slammy" territory, Mick, but that's an area where your good self, JB and a few others have more understanding than many of us.

Re the Hobby vs Superdome observations, guessing that will be down to the different pellet release pressures. The Hobby is noted by Jim as being high in this regard, but the 'Dome higher still. Just goes to highlight how interlinked all the differing factors can be.....piston weight and momentum, pellet release pressure, TP size, spring force & rate, preload etc etc.......You'll find that "sweet spot" / balance.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Finished It.

Guessing we're now getting into "slammy" territory, Mick, but that's an area where your good self, JB and a few others have more understanding than many of us.

Re the Hobby vs Superdome observations, guessing that will be down to the different pellet release pressures. The Hobby is noted by Jim as being high in this regard, but the 'Dome higher still. Just goes to highlight how interlinked all the differing factors can be.....piston weight and momentum, pellet release pressure, TP size, spring force & rate, preload etc etc.......You'll find that "sweet spot" / balance.
    To be honest, Tone.
    I wasn't really comfortable with a 300 gram piston flying around in such a lightweight gun as it goes against everything we know on recoil and surge.

276grams I can live with, and with having to fit a bronze piston head and steel piston liner to correct the piston there isn't really any way of shaving much off that figure unless I machine a new head from Aluminum, which I won't be doing now.

Anyway, this morning I totally stripped the action and took the time to drill and polish the transfer port properly at 3mm.
    Then I cleaned out the cylinder and transfer port and cleaned the piston, that's when I noticed a little problem, the piston head had a mark all around it's edge where it had hit something at the end of the cylinder --- so I had a look in the cylinder. :-

image.jpg

There was about a 1mm wide ridge sticking up on the outside of the plug that coincided with the witness marks on the piston.
    After thinking about making a tool to slide in the cylinder to take the ridge off, I said bugger it and machined the 1mm ridge from the front face of the piston --- job done.
    Relubed and reassembled at my original 276 gram build with just 1mm of extra preload using all new seals again I fired a few Superdomes over the chrono. :-

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hobbies are still doing 11.6 so that'll do for me.

As is normally the case on my last buildup of the trigger unit I discovered something that makes reassembly easier.
    I've been struggling to get the trigger blade pin back in every time I've built this gun up and even altered a pair of pump pliers to assist in crushing the trigger spring, well this morning I realised what the unused hole was for between the stock bolt hole and the cocking lever slot.

If you stand the action upright on its backend you can push down on the sliding sear with a screwdriver to get the trigger sear hole in the middle of the window in the action. :-

image.jpg

While holding the sliding sear down you can then insert a 3mm (or larger) drill bit into the forward hole to hold the sear in the cocked position.

image.jpg

Then you can fit the trigger without struggling.

So that's it, I'm done and dusted with this one even though I could go further I'm calling it a day on my Original 35 --- what fun it's been.

All the best Mick

The Hobby is noted by Jim as being high in this regard, but the 'Dome higher still.
    Actually, Tony, the Hobby has a higher start pressure than the Superdome.

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    That probably explains why it felt better firing Hobbies than Superdomes then, Jim.

All the best Mick

I stand corrected. Thank you, Jim.

To be honest, Tone.
    I wasn't really comfortable with a 300 gram piston flying around in such a lightweight gun as it goes against everything we know on recoil and surge.

276grams I can live with, and with having to fit a bronze piston head and steel piston liner to correct the piston there isn't really any way of shaving much off that figure unless I machine a new head from Aluminum, which I won't be doing now.

Anyway, this morning I totally stripped the action and took the time to drill and polish the transfer port properly at 3mm.
    Then I cleaned out the cylinder and transfer port and cleaned the piston, that's when I noticed a little problem, the piston head had a mark all around it's edge where it had hit something at the end of the cylinder --- so I had a look in the cylinder. :-

image.jpg

There was about a 1mm wide ridge sticking up on the outside of the plug that coincided with the witness marks on the piston.
    After thinking about making a tool to slide in the cylinder to take the ridge off, I said bugger it and machined the 1mm ridge from the front face of the piston --- job done.
    Relubed and reassembled at my original 276 gram build with just 1mm of extra preload using all new seals again I fired a few Superdomes over the chrono. :-

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hobbies are still doing 11.6 so that'll do for me.

As is normally the case on my last buildup of the trigger unit I discovered something that makes reassembly easier.
    I've been struggling to get the trigger blade pin back in every time I've built this gun up and even altered a pair of pump pliers to assist in crushing the trigger spring, well this morning I realised what the unused hole was for between the stock bolt hole and the cocking lever slot.

If you stand the action upright on its backend you can push down on the sliding sear with a screwdriver to get the trigger sear hole in the middle of the window in the action. :-

image.jpg

While holding the sliding sear down you can then insert a 3mm (or larger) drill bit into the forward hole to hold the sear in the cocked position.

image.jpg

Then you can fit the trigger without struggling.

So that's it, I'm done and dusted with this one even though I could go further I'm calling it a day on my Original 35 --- what fun it's been.

All the best Mick
    Brilliant information again, Mick.

But are you REALLY done with it?

Excellent work that. You've put a proper shift in and this tread will be a reference work for others working on any 35s in the future. Though, just reading how many times you've stripped and assembled has fatigued me and I think I'll not be rushing to strip mine in the immediate future

Again, and excellent piece of endeavour there.

Dave

Excellent stuff. That's a whole new level of power but with nice manners and not a lot of preload. A nice recipe of work and components.
    I wonder how it would do with RWS Meisterkugelen. They're usually a good pellet in 35's.

That probably explains why it felt better firing Hobbies than Superdomes then, Jim.

All the best Mick
    There isn't much between them in terms of start pressure, Mick, so it could well be that the faster acceleration of the lighter Hobby gives the better feel in that rifle and setup.

But are you REALLY done with it?
    FFS, Do you think I'm made of cable ties and moly, Tone ?

Having said that, I may sneak up on it in the future with a 28mm Diana seal and a lump of Aluminium.

There isn't much between them in terms of start pressure, Mick, so it could well be that the faster acceleration of the lighter Hobby gives the better feel in that rifle and setup.
    Strangely, Jim, I had to crack open another tin of Superdomes earlier and the difference between them and Hobbies felt less marked, but this could also be down to me tidying up the transfer port and slightly altering the piston head.

I'm now thinking about reducing the piston weight on my ratting Mercury to get it nearer to my Original 35s firing cycle.

All the best Mick