Thread: Prewar Webley Display ready for a major US Airgun Show

Prewar Webley Display ready for a major US Airgun Show

I have a table at the Midwest Airgun Show in Columbus Ohio first week in June. I’ve been having half my table at the shows be display and half guns for sale. The addition of the Webley Service to my collection last month really completed my Webley prewar collection. I’m not a completist but I try to get the bests examples of the major types. With Webley there is the added attraction of collecting the best they made to export to us. I have a Hoffman Mark 2 Target with checkered walnut grips and two Stoegers, the early Senior with checkered grips as well and the Junior. I believe I have every model that had the top of the line metal piston rings? I have two 1930’s Stoeger catalogs that include all the Webley guns made at the time. Pride and joy of the collection are the contemporary Service rifle and Early Senior both cased to the hilt, I think the best rifle and the best pistol they ever made. I included the Webley Mark 3 just because, it is actually a prewar design that just happened to be made after the War?

Last edited by 45flint; 19-05-2022 at 04:52 PM.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    That is certainly a wonderful display Steve. I'm sure you will have crowds round your stall - and a few disappointed punters when they realise they are not for sale!

Beautiful guns Steve. Was the straight grip Mk1 sold in the US too? Leather piston seal obviously.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Beautiful guns Steve. Was the straight grip Mk1 sold in the US too? Leather piston seal obviously.
    Yikes misread question. Yes the Mark 1 was sold in the US very common, ones with Stoeger markings are out there. I never thought it was a necessary gun for my collection given the Target is similar but a improvement.
    Last edited by 45flint; 19-05-2022 at 09:27 PM.

Fabulous display. Will attract a lot of visitors to your stand.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    What a great display, and hopefully it will get more people into collecting antique and vintage air guns.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    A lovely collection there... I especially like the New York world's fair edition catalogue or catalog as you guys put it.

A cracker collection Steve

Love those timber boxes!

webley mk 3

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I have a table at the Midwest Airgun Show in Columbus Ohio first week in June. I’ve been having half my table at the shows be display and half guns for sale. The addition of the Webley Service to my collection last month really completed my Webley prewar collection. I’m not a completist but I try to get the bests examples of the major types. With Webley there is the added attraction of collecting the best they made to export to us. I have a Hoffman Mark 2 Target with checkered walnut grips and two Stoegers, the early Senior with checkered grips as well and the Junior. I believe I have every model that had the top of the line metal piston rings? I have two 1930’s Stoeger catalogs that include all the Webley guns made at the time. Pride and joy of the collection are the contemporary Service rifle and Early Senior both cased to the hilt, I think the best rifle and the best pistol they ever made. I included the Webley Mark 3 just because, it is actually a prewar design that just happened to be made after the War?

Hi 45 flint, regarding Webley mk 3, yes it was a pre war design but not by Webley. After the war a lot of German production machines were claimed by Britain & other countries [the spoils of war !] Webley won the "Diana model 45" I think the only design change was the loading tap? have a look on Garvin's Vintage Airgun Gallery. kind regards Al

PS lovely display.
    Last edited by cringe; 21-05-2022 at 09:40 AM. Reason: ps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAL3jK38HQI --> awesome display @11 minutes into the video . Noticed a Tell 3, some boxed Webley pistols and rifles on the tables!
    Collection: vintage air pistols & air rifles / vintage air gun accessories
    Facebook groups: vintage air guns 1. Webley, 2 BSA, 3. Haenel, 4. Weihrauch, 5. Diana

Steve can I suggest you buy a replica (or original if you can find one) box for the tin grip Junior? It's a very striking design.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Steve can I suggest you buy a replica (or original if you can find one) box for the tin grip Junior? It's a very striking design.
    Cool thing about that one is it’s a Stoeger got it just before the show. Would want a original box, not holding my breath over here!

I always liked the 'Sunburst' Junior box, it's a pity Webley didn't carry on using it by just changing the centre illustration, it's far more colourful than it's replacement.
    Of all the 'Stoeger' pistols I've had, none of the boxes were marked as 'Stoeger'.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    I always liked the 'Sunburst' Junior box, it's a pity Webley didn't carry on using it by just changing the centre illustration, it's far more colourful than it's replacement.
    Of all the 'Stoeger' pistols I've had, none of the boxes were marked as 'Stoeger'.
    I was saying that my Junior was marked Stoeger not any box.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I was saying that my Junior was marked Stoeger not any box.
    I realise that, but I was just pointing out that I'd not come across any Webley boxes marked 'Stoeger'.