Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer bash 16th and 17th July 2022

Quote Originally Posted by NewPaul View Post
    Funds transferred for Thursday to Sunday. Not long now
    Nice one, LittlePaulyBoy.

Great to see the Quigley Bottom bug biting and to see your return. Can't wait.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

flyingfish is online now I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    I was pleasantly surprised by green stars Saturday Tony
    1 particular group was good at 30m. However on average the groups were worse than with lead
    Pete

Relatively pleasing but not quite there yet then eh, Pete?

I think I'll stick to ther mantra as described by some others on some of the other threads for now.....in certain guns, with certain pellets, maybe after a degree of barrel "preparation", some results might be encouraging. But I think I'll sit tight for now. As and when and if the day comes, maybe more designs and composition mixes of lead free might be available to us and deliver the results we hope for? It might end up that the longest ranges are reigned in slightly and target sizes reduced to compensate?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Smile Sleepy-o-meter says

VR 46 to go!

BOING!

My first concern is the closest ranges Tony. These bloody things bounce back!
    My shooting buddies and I are buying an assortment of lead free pellets so we can try a few different brands and different preparations
    Pete

That bouncy characteristic sounds to be a pain in the backside and dangerous, Pete. Certainly something for the makers to look into.

It will be very interesting to read yours and your friends' findings following further testing.

NewPaul is online now Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    I’d imagine there’s little or no deformation to the pellet either Pete ?
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

Yep, I'd imagine so, Pauly and yet another of their less than endearing traits.

Y'know, in recent years I've never plinked away hundreds of shots per session. The small nature of my garden has always dictated more "informal practice" / shooting groups on paper. But the proposed / potential lead restriction / ban makes me view our little lead pellets with much love and new found respect these days. I give some of them a loving fondle before using them and often marvel at their form and performance.

I've already started my new mantra of taking more time, wasting less and making every shot count. Sometimes, when shooting informally, I'd rattle them off quicker than I should have, without giving each and every pellet the best chance of hitting its precise spot, if that makes sense?

As mentioned earlier, I've also started to collect the splattered ones. Who knows, maybe one day a suitable mould might become of interest? And I know of at least one person local-ish who is making his own slugs, so he'd welcome more waste lead.

Fingers crossed for a happy resolution to this uncertainty........

Quote Originally Posted by NewPaul View Post
    I’d imagine there’s little or no deformation to the pellet either Pete ?
    I can't really comment on that Paul. We are not allowed to "go forward " so I couldn't inspect the pellets after firing. I wouldn't expect much deformation though they are pretty hard. There are flat headed pellets out there that may be OK for close range hunting
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfish View Post
    My first concern is the closest ranges Tony. These bloody things bounce back!
    My shooting buddies and I are buying an assortment of lead free pellets so we can try a few different brands and different preparations
    Hi Pete
    I have a box of pax Dynamic lead free pellets .177 9.5 grain.
    They are a tin alloy type pellet and are double Hard B#@&##d’s, they hardly deform even after being shot at steel plate.
    The only gun they were accurate in was a mate’s Hw77, right out to 55+ yards.
    I think the H&N excite dynamic pellet is similar but weighs a bit less.
    I will bring them with me to the summer Bash if you fancy giving them a go.
    Atb
    Les..

I'm guessing the pellet has little to no deformation as well.

I very rarely get the chance to look at videos on YouTube. But did so yesterday after returning from the eye clinic and letting the eye settle. I mainly searched out stuff on the lead free pellets. On one of the videos I found, a H&N promotional one on the lead free Baracuda, it was actually making a big positive about the lack of deformation leading to increased penetration..

And on another one, a chap commented big time about them coming back towards him, even from about 35 yards!

These things are going to need looking at and a rethink re target mediums if this ban comes in.

Smile Rabbits, Rabbits, Rabbits.

'Tis the first of a month yet again my good peeps.

And the very best of health and fortunes to you lovely people.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandadG View Post

And The Sleepometer says........45 to go, peeps.

BOING!

Quote Originally Posted by JoanHab View Post
    I'm guessing the pellet has little to no deformation as well.
    Welcome to the forum and thank you for jumping in.

Enjoy.