Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pellet Sizing

Quote Originally Posted by HW55T View Post
    BSA made a sizer that was designed to size pellets skirts up, I sold one on here awhile back and that gave me a idea to improvise and make up one of my own
    You can spread a skirt, but unless I'm mistaken pellet sizes on a tin are the Head sizes,
    I suppose you could flatten the face so they spread but ruins the pellet profile before you start

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    You can spread a skirt, but unless I'm mistaken pellet sizes on a tin are the Head sizes,
    I suppose you could flatten the face so they spread but ruins the pellet profile before you start
    You are correct what you say, but beware that if you are buying any JSB made pellet (inc. AA pellets) the size on the tin has no relationship to the pellets in it. It is a marketing ploy.
    I have measured lots of JSB and AA pellets and they are very rarely what the head size on the tin says.
    Last edited by DEAN C.; 21-05-2022 at 10:18 AM.
    BASC

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    If you had a profile former of the pellet you wouldn't damage the front profile of the point but you would have to support the base and skirt with another matched former, near re swaging the pellet.

Would be all very well recommending different brands of pellets because as already mentioned particularly with JSBs the head sizes on the tin refer to the die rather than what's in it.
    Are you sure it's the choke and not clipping?

Re=sizing may help with fine tuning, but the problem will always be the choke.
    Options would vary from getting the choke polished out (slow and time consuming) to getting it chopped.

I've had two FACs a Superten and a Rapid with tight chokes, the Rapid was 5.39mm in the grooves of the choke .
    Both shot very well with Crossman Premiers and latterly Logun Penetrators, two pellets made from a harder lead alloy and skirts with smaller contact area that didn't shred in the choke.

Offchance its simply a case of finding a pellet but I think these are basically Loguns...if they are in stock

http://www.nmproducts.uk/armex-airst...ins-tub-of-400
    https://www.henrykrank.com/armex-air...-450-pellet91/

First pic a '5.51' Exact and the offending choke

Just wondered how much does a choke reduces velocity, having an affect on accuracy.

my mistake HK link to 177s.

In my case; unsure. With lightweights BSA did 970fps and the Rapid was in the 1025-1050fps range.
    Neither were ever accurate enough for hunting with other pellets.
    When it came to its 20 year overhall the Rapids bore was declared 'tightest and roughest ever seen' and after a lot of polishing replaced with a new LW.

Herx77 is offline "Instruments of the light"
    I bought one of the gauge plate sizing checkers to check head sizes of pellets. Over several tins I came to the conclusion that nothing went above 4.50 and settled on the conclusion that if the pellet had a wide skirt after inserting in barrel( which tended to size pellet , predominately skirt) the result at 55yards was very acceptable but only if enough meat was on the skirt and after testing a tighter group showed, Due to better seal in barrel, markings were slighter on head than skirt.
    HERX77 .
    Fighter against the "Dark Arts" A stranger in an even stranger land.
    GC2+Leupold 14.4-34x45
    AA400 fac receiver+sidewinder 8.5-34x52
    Weihrauch HW77k fiddled with and doing what it wants to +Zeiss 3-9x36.
    Weihrauch HW90k
    Weihrauch HW97k learning from above,now sporting a Maccarri 77/97 target stock..+Bushnell 3200.Go on shoot one you know you want to
    Daystate mk3 RT Delux + bushnell 4200 8-24x 40Does what it should again & again.
    Fwb 124 + Optima was good is good!
    Webley Vulcan.