Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pellet Sizing

Pellet Sizing

Good Morning folks, i am in need of a bit of help, I have an .22 air rifle that i believe is over choked. when i fire a 5.53mm pellet there is considerable damage to the head and skirt which i believe detrimentally affects accuracy. I have tried 5.51 pellets and they are more accurate and with less damage to the pellet. You can see where i am going with this. I cannot seem to find any pellets that are less than 5.50 in the uk. I have seen them advertised in american sites even down to 5.48. Is anyone aware of where I might get pellets less than 5.50mm?
    Last edited by jimmytwobikes; 20-05-2022 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmytwobikes View Post
    Good Morning folks, i am in need of a bit of help, I have an .22 air rifle that i believe is over choked. when i fire a 5.53 pellet there is considerable damage to the head and skirt which i believe detrimentally affects accuracy. I have tried 5.51 pellets and they are more accurate and with less damage to the pellet. You can see where i am going with this. I cannot seem to find any pellets that are less than 5.50 in the uk. I have seen them advertised in american sites even down to 5.48. Is anyone aware of where I might get pellets less that 5.50?
    I can't say for the rest of the range but I bought some Crossman .22 pointed pellets from J S Ramsbottom recently at what I thought was a good price £7.39 for 500

They are undersized pellets which I'm having to size up the skirts to fit my barrel, they could be worth a go in your barrel.
    Hw77+7

Cheers for that, do you know the size of the pellet in mm?

Cheers for that, do you know the size of the pellet in mm?
    Checking the rifling marks when shot from a .22 Hw77 they were barely visible, although once sized up they were more prominent.

Are you really expecting me to get the micrometer out and measure them
    Hw77+7

No, course not, sometimes on the bottom of the tin they give the exact size in mm.

No, course not, sometimes on the bottom of the tin they give the exact size in mm.
    A tactful reply The tin just says 5.5mm but they are a tad smaller than that and would suit a tight choke.
    Hw77+7

My .22 Hatsan AT44 10 had a really tight choke and was
    seriously inaccurate.
    I machined 1/2" off the end and it ended up as accurate
    as my S400 in a shootout, so i sold the 400 and kept the Hatsan...still have it.
    I also use a 4.51 sizer on Crosman ammo for my TX and
    matches the JSB accuracy at 25m.
    5.50 sizer..?.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Can you buy different pellet sizers so a tin of pellets can be sized up to 5.56 for vintage air guns or sized down etc.

Quote Originally Posted by HW55T View Post
    A tactful reply The tin just says 5.5mm but they are a tad smaller than that and would suit a tight choke.
    Thanks for that, I have ordered some and will try them out.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreengrass View Post
    My .22 Hatsan AT44 10 had a really tight choke and was
    seriously inaccurate.
    I machined 1/2" off the end and it ended up as accurate
    as my S400 in a shootout, so i sold the 400 and kept the Hatsan...still have it.
    I also use a 4.51 sizer on Crosman ammo for my TX and
    matches the JSB accuracy at 25m.
    5.50 sizer..?.
    I hadn't considered shortening the barrel, I don't have the facilities to do that, but thanks for the info, it may come to that.

Quote Originally Posted by BC312 View Post
    Can you buy different pellet sizers so a tin of pellets can be sized up to 5.56 for vintage air guns or sized down etc.
    You cannot size up, only down.

Jimmy,
    there are pellet sizers on the bay, only £9.50, buy one or two & try them, 5.50-5.51 or whatever & you'll get your answers.

I haven't ever had the need, but these might be well worth a look? Available in different sizes.

https://www..com/store/tbt-22-pellet-sizer/
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Sorry folks; I'm not sure if that link is working correctly?

The link is to the Tinbum Tuning site where he offers a range of sizers in different sizes.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

The pellet sizes given on the tin and the actual measured dimensions of the pellets therein, have a very dubious relationship.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    You cannot size up, only down.
    BSA made a sizer that was designed to size pellets skirts up, I sold one on here awhile back and that gave me a idea to improvise and make up one of my own
    Hw77+7