Thread: HW80 Barrel locking latch cylinder detent removal

HW80 Barrel locking latch cylinder detent removal

Does anyone know how to remove the barrel locking detent of a HW80 found on the front of the cylinder which the barrel locking latch rides against when you close the barrel. Need to remove it to refinish the air gun. Not sure what the correct name of this part is called, cant see the part on a parts diagram. Is this part spring loaded and is it held in by a pin-or screwed in. Thought they may have shown how to do this on complete HW80 strip down videos on Youtube.

I think these are pressed in and welded, not removal easy and I don't see any reason to remove it? They're solid and have no parts to them and can go into the bluing tank no problem bud.

Press fit, someone on a US forum showed removal a few years back.
    He welded a piece of steel to it so he could apply force to remove it.
    Too many airguns!

As someone said probably leave alone rather than risk ruining cylinder, blueing won't harm it
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Press fit, someone on a US forum showed removal a few years back.
    He welded a piece of steel to it so he could apply force to remove it.
    Don't try that on a HW35 though as they're brazed in.

Quote Originally Posted by BC312 View Post
    Does anyone know how to remove the barrel locking detent of a HW80 found on the front of the cylinder which the barrel locking latch rides against when you close the barrel. Need to remove it to refinish the air gun. Not sure what the correct name of this part is called, cant see the part on a parts diagram. Is this part spring loaded and is it held in by a pin-or screwed in. Thought they may have shown how to do this on complete HW80 strip down videos on Youtube.
    theres a roll pin in the breach block that holds it in place quite simple to remove once you have done it

so its a swaged fit and pinned, most probably dependant of year of manufacture, i am sure it can be replaced if it got damaged, if not, do you just throw the gun into the bin, i doubt it. I did want to get muck or dirt or oil in the sides like the sprung barrel latch that would contaminate any process that is vital being oil free etc.

The detent in the cylinder is pressed and welded as mentioned above. The blueing process will not affect it at all. With 8 80's reblued it's never been a problem and so no need to have it removed as I dare say you will do more harm than good and there's no need for it to be done. Mach 2.5

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    The detent in the cylinder is pressed and welded as mentioned above. The blueing process will not affect it at all. With 8 80's reblued it's never been a problem and so no need to have it removed as I dare say you will do more harm than good and there's no need for it to be done. Mach 2.5
    i will leave it alone, its something thats not mentioned or pointed out when you see these youtube complete strip down videos, you would think it would be mentioned rather than some poor sod trying to try all methods of removal when you don't need to.
    I wonder what else is not removable on other air rifles.

i will leave it alone, its something thats not mentioned or pointed out when you see these youtube complete strip down videos, you would think it would be mentioned rather than some poor sod trying to try all methods of removal when you don't need to.
    I wonder what else is not removable on other air rifles.
    No one has mentioned that on the new design Hw80's the lug that retains the barrel shut and the bracket for end screws is as one and retained by a single screw into the bottom of the action.

I did wonder if this was what you were talking about and yes for a re black this would have to be removed.
    Hw77+7

Quote Originally Posted by HW55T View Post
    No one has mentioned that on the new design Hw80's the lug that retains the barrel shut and the bracket for end screws is as one and retained by a single screw into the bottom of the action.

I did wonder if this was what you were talking about and yes for a re black this would have to be removed.
    I wondered if he meant that bit as well, John. :-

image.jpg

The old style latch wouldn't need removing to refinish the gun.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by threelander View Post
    theres a roll pin in the breach block that holds it in place quite simple to remove once you have done it
    He's talking about the piece the detent works against. It's on the receiver, not the breech block.

The detent on my HW80 is at the front of the cylinder piston housing under the transfer port.

The detent on my HW80 is at the front of the cylinder piston housing under the transfer port.
    I'd leave it alone, removing it isn't necessary to reblue the gun.

If I had a cylinder where it did need replacing I'd simply grind it and the fore end brackets off and then drill and tap to fit the later part that I showed earlier.

All the best Mick