Thread: Airsporter Mk1 piston tool

Airsporter Mk1 piston tool

Hi.
    Does anyone know where I can borrow, or buy a tool to fit the nut inside the piston on a Mk1 Airsporter please?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrig View Post
    Hi.
    Does anyone know where I can borrow, or buy a tool to fit the nut inside the piston on a Mk1 Airsporter please?
    Thanks
    I made one from a piece of steel pipe when I needed one, I just cut away the end of the pipe to leave two lugs sticking up to go into the slots on the nut.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I made one from a piece of steel pipe when I needed one, I just cut away the end of the pipe to leave two lugs sticking up to go into the slots on the nut.

All the best Mick
    I've looked for thick walled pipe locally with no success.

I've looked for thick walled pipe locally with no success.
    The first one I made was made from a bit of chromed shower curtain rail, though thick walled tube would be better if the nut's overly tight.

I used the thickwall 19 or 20mm conduit that was used at my works for lightswitch wiring to run through, Not seen it in years though!

Had to make a piston head O ring carrier for mine as I wasn't sure I could get the old leather seals, Maybe just a converter from Robbs

Never took a pic of the notched tube though!

EDIT-Forgot to say, You could take a grinder to a 17mm socket and undo it with the socket set and extension fitted..

john..
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Hi.
    Thanks
    Made mine from extension bar for wheel brace from my cars tool kit just ground down the end making two protruding prongs to locate into washer inside piston
    Regards
    Vic

edbear2 Guest
    I am sure I have a heavy duty used once example somewhere, possibly from Knibbs as per;

https://www.airgunspares.com/bsatool...ppingtool.html

I will have a look, if you are interested I can do it for £10 posted (Royal Mail Recorded) if that is of interest.

Let me know on this thread if so, then if I find it, will need address to send it by PM.

ATB, ED

edbear2 Guest
    Found it..for reference it is 197mm long, O.D. is 19mm, wall thickness is 3.6mm!....and so weighs well over half a pound...So a bit serious compared to a bit of tube or pipe. Drilled for a tommy bar of 10mm dia.

If interested will be around till Thursday mid AM, then not till next Tuesday as have stuff going on, so if you want /need it please bear that in mind, happy to hang on till next week as you have first dibs at any rate.

ATB, Ed

Sorting through another spares box yesterday, I think I may have found this exact tool. Where it came from I can't remember, but quite possibly from an old now defunct gun shop, I've had it for over thirty years and never used it, as I've never stripped an Airsporter's internals.
    The solid steel tool measures 115mm (4.9/16") from the tips of the prongs, which protrude 3.34mm (1/8"), to the base, OD is 14.40mm (9/16"), has a n 8.7mm (11/32") hole drilled to a depth of 15.19mm (19/32") between the prongs and has a 6.82mm (17/64") hole in the end for a tommy bar.
    I wondered what it fitted, and now possibly know.
    I've just looked at the tool on Knibb's site, and it's very similar apart from the prongs on mine being machined flat to the tool.
    Last edited by Troubledshooter; 07-06-2022 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Sorting through another spares box yesterday, I think I may have found this exact tool. Where it came from I can't remember, but quite possibly from an old now defunct gun shop, I've had it for over thirty years and never used it, as I've never stripped an Airsporter's internals.
    The solid steel tool measures 115mm (4.9/16") from the tips of the prongs, which protrude 3.34mm (1/8"), to the base, OD is 14.40mm (9/16"), has a n 8.7mm (11/32") hole drilled to a depth of 15.19mm (19/32") between the prongs and has a 6.82mm (17/64") hole in the end for a tommy bar.
    I wondered what it fitted, and now possibly know.
    The tool for the piston would be a lot longer and have a hole greater than 3/8" all the way through it to slide down the latchrod.

What you're describing sounds to be the tool for removing the 5/16" stock nut on a MK1 Airsporter.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    The tool for the piston would be a lot longer and have a hole greater than 3/8" all the way through it to slide down the latchrod.

What you're describing sounds to be the tool for removing the 5/16" stock nut on a MK1 Airsporter.

All the best Mick
    Thanks Mick, that makes sense.