Thread: Best air rifle back in 1950'/60's ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    CO2 guns were on FAC from 1968 to 1997 IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    CO2 guns were on FAC from 1968 to 1997 IIRC.
    I never did understand the point of that law. I dont think it made Britain a safer place. Can anyone shed any light ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    I never did understand the point of that law. I dont think it made Britain a safer place. Can anyone shed any light ?
    I suspect that it may have been due to the 6ft/lbs limit on air pistols & that a CO2 pistol could easily be made to exceed that.
    Thirty-odd years ago, someone I worked with asked me to take a look at a pistol he had because it wasn't working properly, which turned out to be a Crossman .22 CO2 pistol. I can't remember the model number, but it had a 10 shot (if memory serves) tube magazine above the barrel.
    Anyway, I found & fixed the problem, and out of curiosity I put it through my chronograph, discovering that with Eley Wasps it was turning out over 10ft/lbs ! Not only that, but I also found that a simple adjustment could make it fully automatic, though it would use a whole CO2 bulb for the 10 shots in the magazine.
    Before I tested the pistol I'd been somewhat dubious about the owner's claim that he used it to kill rabbits in his vegetable patch, but clearly the gun had the power to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
    I suspect that it may have been due to the 6ft/lbs limit on air pistols & that a CO2 pistol could easily be made to exceed that.
    Thirty-odd years ago, someone I worked with asked me to take a look at a pistol he had because it wasn't working properly, which turned out to be a Crossman .22 CO2 pistol. I can't remember the model number, but it had a 10 shot (if memory serves) tube magazine above the barrel.
    Anyway, I found & fixed the problem, and out of curiosity I put it through my chronograph, discovering that with Eley Wasps it was turning out over 10ft/lbs ! Not only that, but I also found that a simple adjustment could make it fully automatic, though it would use a whole CO2 bulb for the 10 shots in the magazine.
    Before I tested the pistol I'd been somewhat dubious about the owner's claim that he used it to kill rabbits in his vegetable patch, but clearly the gun had the power to do that.
    Never heard of a 6ft limit on air pistols in those days nor a 12 ft lb limit on air rifles either. In the USA, some kids got the Crosman 600 a bad reputation due to its 10 shot semi auto capability. I distinctly remember a newspaper article in UK running on how deadly these pistols could be. Typical hype to wind up the anti gun population. I was a teenager at the time living in Luton, had an old boy mate who had loads of firearms including a double barrel .410 pistol. He quickly got a licence for a Crosman 600. I remember he used to fill the pellets with Polyfilla to add weight for some reason.

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 23-05-2022 at 05:13 AM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Potential for rapid fire might have been reason for CO2 needing FAC, speculated John Walter in his Airgun Book. Power limits also came in with 1968 Act.