Thread: Couple of classics acquired today

Couple of classics acquired today

Popped into a local antiques/junk dealers last week and spied a Cadet sitting in a cabinet. Old and knackered, no sights, well mangled stock and appears to have had a scope brazed onto it at some point!!!!!! Obviously ignored and moved on but got chatting to the staff and asked whether they get many old airguns in at all. Turns out they don’t like having them in there for various reasons but one of their “stallholders’ piped up that he had a few kicking around, so arranged to meet him and this is todays result. He had about 8 or so including mk2 sporter with damaged stock, asi paratrooper ( was quite tempted ) , through to this pair plus a Slavia ZVP. I’ve now got his number so might be tempted to go back for something else…….

Appears the Walther has a couple more parts missing than I first realised and initial research shows very little out there ( not really surprised, but was too intrigued by it to turn it down ) so may end up being parted out to help others in need, but the Mod 6 just seems to need a piston seal and bit of a clean up ( it took about 8 shots to get a pellet to literally drop out of the muzzle ��) then will take it up the range and give it a whirl.
    Last edited by gizwaz; 22-05-2022 at 09:06 PM.
    All help, advice and wrist slaps gratefully received.
    Most sales open to swaps for older BSA’s, projects and or incomplete/bits. Currently quietly developing a hankering for a nice S10 BBK………..

Spent a bit of time on the Walther and got it stripped down.

Interestingly tho it seems to have a different piston from what I’ve seen and read about them this afternoon. After removing what was left of the old seal I found it’s not a seal that fits into a groove round the head, but more like a more modern parachute seal that seats into a groove inside….. Possible aftermarket or variations during production???????
    Most sales open to swaps for older BSA’s, projects and or incomplete/bits. Currently quietly developing a hankering for a nice S10 BBK………..

Nice pistols.
    If the seals have gone on the mod 6 I wouldn’t shoot it at all as it can break the little teeth on the rack & pinion gearing system and they are very difficult to replace.

I’d get it apart, and if all the gear teeth are undamaged get a set of replacement seals.

Cheers,
    Matt

I have repaired a lot of Model 6's. When you remove the back cap you may find the back balance piston buffer is still OK. The front compression piston seal is usually disintegrated as it was an early type of polyurethane that is affected by humidity in the air and oil which has been drawn in over time. Fitting a new piston seal is not difficult if you use a simple seal expander, some guys use other methods. They have a lovely trigger action and are smooth shooters when fixed correctly, putting out about 400+ fps with 7 grn pellets.

Baz
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Thanks for the advice guys, duly noted.
    I’ve had the rear cap off and and the rear buffer does indeed look ok. Hopefully will get the time this evening to get in there properly and have a good nosey about and see what’s what.