Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .32 short colt.

To be honest if it’s re chambered to another calibre it will ruin it so you might as well just spend half the money and get a modern lever action to shoot and enjoy the antique for what it is or sell it on.

Quote Originally Posted by rovercoupe View Post
    To be honest if it’s re chambered to another calibre it will ruin it so you might as well just spend half the money and get a modern lever action to shoot and enjoy the antique for what it is or sell it on.
    A tasteful and sympathetic rechambering wouldn't ruin it.

It's not going to be rechambered or modified in any way. The 1892 was originally supplied with 2 firing pins. one for .32 rimfire and 1 for .32 colt. Both cartridges have the same overall dimensions apart from the primer. So it was only necessary to change the firing pin to shoot either caliber.

My original idea was to have a second firing pin made, but since .32 short colt cases are virtually impossible to get I need a case that I can modify to the original dimensions rather than change the rifle.

If I can find a case that I can re-form to fit I can counter-bore them for a 6mm blackpowder blank and produce rimfire ammo that way. It will save the expense of having a firing pin made. It will also allow me to shoot a Remington no4 rolling block I also own.

Since neither rifle will be modified I can move them on and off ticket as required.

The next case to try is .22 hornet, apparently these can be cut down and expanded to fit.

found on another forum.......
    If you have .32 LC dies, just use a flat block on the end of the press ram and push the .32 S&W case completely into the .32 LC die less the rim itself. In other words, stop when the rim contacts the end of the die. The die would be less any decapping assy. Then use a short piece of 1/4" brass rod and tap the formed case out of the die. There will be a small "belt" on the base of the case that will have to be removed. a small lathe and a fitted, tapered mandrel are a good way to go. Check for overall length.
    Have made up a few of these cases just as an experiment and they look good, seem to work.
    Imperial is a good sizing lube.

In that case I think making a centre fire pin is the way forward, the off centre rim fire mods seem to be for revolvers where you can place the blank in the path of the firing pin. I’m sure you could single load and be very careful to make sure it all lines up.

Prices have gone silly for these recently and I saw one go for over 2k including fees at auction a few months ago.

If they are any use I have a mixed bag of about 100 32 s&w long brass you can have for postage

Thanks for the offer, I'll PM you.

300 rook has almost identical head and only a slightly smaller diameter rim as 32 short colt. Kranks have the cases but they will be really expensive Bertram ones. It might be worth trying a couple- they may be too thick walled when cut down.

That's my last resort, as you say they are rather expensive. The next step is I have a mate who getting me a couple of Hornet cases which I will cut down and see how they mic up.

Hornet cases should be 19 thou too small head diameter, 24thou too small rim diameter and 13 thou too thick rim thickness.

Mr Nonte's book says don't expand the head diameter by more than 15 thou. Doesn't look like .22 hornet are any good

.32 acp is close i think and has a rim.
    This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future! Adolph Hitler – 1933

if you need to trim the rim thickness without a lathe then try this...
    place a well fitting dowel in the case mouth and insert into a pillar drill
    bring up the drill base plate so it steadys the case when spinning
    now using a hacksaw blade trim the rim from the front side until you reach the correct thickness

Quote Originally Posted by waterford103 View Post
    .32 acp is close i think and has a rim.
    I beg to differ. The 32acp or 7.65 browning chambers on the case mouth like the 9mm does. I had one in the happy days in the eighties (Walther PPK German army issue). No rim.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    I beg to differ. The 32acp or 7.65 browning chambers on the case mouth like the 9mm does. I had one in the happy days in the eighties (Walther PPK German army issue). No rim.
    Again Ibeg to differ , .32acp has a rim albeit a semi rim , I have a bag of new brass in front of me and have measured it .
    This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future! Adolph Hitler – 1933