Thread: Hammerli Single info

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hammerli Single info

Hi folks,
    New member on the forum, and looking forward to learning as much as I can.

For the moment though, I have acquired a HAMMERLI Single air pistol, 177 Cal, with a 102mm; (4") barrel.
    I would hope to shoot 10 metre ISSF air with it, and if I can make progress, then upgrade to a more appropriate pistol.

I know nothing about these, and was wondering if someone could give me an idea of the year of mfg from the serial number, which is: #421**.
    Are these quality pistols (I know they are decades old), and any idea of their value?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide!

Mike

Hello Mike,

Welcome to this great forum. The collector's corner is full of very knowledgeable and kind people.
    The authority on vintage Hämmerli's is forum member Mark D.
    I am sure he will provide some more accurate info than what I am about to write.
    I had a beautiful Single, in its original box, purchased via Egun in Germany (I think that Germany was the biggest market for the brand).
    Iirc, they were sold in the seventies and eighties.
    Very high quality, both in terms of build and accuracy. In fact, I have never owned better pistols than Hämmerli's from this era (Swiss made).
    The Master is probably a bit better, especially ergonomy-wise (not sure if this is good English, I am from Amsterdam ha-ha).

Kind regards,
    Louis

The Hammerli Single came in 4 basic versions - straight grip 'kurz' Slant grip 'kurz' Straight grip 'lange' and slant grip 'lange'
    The 'kurz' models can only use the 8grm bulbs. The grooved frames on the early Singles are heavier than the later slant griped frames.
    In it's evolution the Single got a more adjustable trigger and the very last version was identical in all but name to the Master incorporating that models adjustable sight rail.Most 'Lange' versions that I have seen have the later automatic gas release cap fitted. Production period 1960s - 1970s

With the kurz barrel yours will be one of these two.

[IMG]MVC00008 by Mark Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

Lange models- if you get the bug

[IMG]MVC00002 by Mark Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

I defer to Mark’s expertise, but John Walter’s book says that they were introduced in 1961, and stopped being made in 1977 when the production line had a bad fire. Though new old stock stayed in the catalogue for 1978. Walter suggests the later ones benefited from internal improvements primarily made for the more expensive Master, in particular a feature where once the CO2 had dropped below a certain level, it would be automatically vented to the atmosphere, as a very obvious way of telling you to change the bulb.
    Last edited by Geezer; 24-05-2022 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Internal, not infernal!

Thanks a million Mark. Mine is the Kurtz shorter barrel as below (doesnt look as nice as the ones in your pics!!! :

I haven't actually shot it yet, so I am looking forward to that.
    Again, thank you so much for your information!
    regards,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    The Hammerli Single came in 4 basic versions - straight grip 'kurz' Slant grip 'kurz' Straight grip 'lange' and slant grip 'lange'
    The 'kurz' models can only use the 8grm bulbs. The grooved frames on the early Singles are heavier than the later slant griped frames.
    In it's evolution the Single got a more adjustable trigger and the very last version was identical in all but name to the Master incorporating that models adjustable sight rail.Most 'Lange' versions that I have seen have the later automatic gas release cap fitted. Production period 1960s - 1970s

With the kurz barrel yours will be one of these two.

[IMG]MVC00008 by Mark Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

Thats a late model pistol you have Mike. The cap on the back was first used on the Master and has a blow off feature were by when set it allows the gas to be exhausted automatically once the pressure drops, it in theory ensures you don't get a low powered shot and spoil a card in a match.

You also have a later trigger unit that came from the Master that has more adjustment. Those walnut grips finish it off nicely.

If the seals are shot and it doesn't hold gas, they are relatively easy to replace.

Looks in good shape for a pistol that's at least 40+ years old

CO2 cylinder for the Hammerli Single?

Hi again folks,
    I was wondering if I can use a 12g cylinder in the shorter Kurtz version , which has the automatic release device as in the Master (see my pic in this thread above).
    It currently has an empty short 8 gm cylinder, but can I remove any of the end cap to fit in a 12g cylinder? If I slip in a 12g cylinder, it is too big (too long).

I am thinking that I am restricted to the 8 gm cylinder, but I read somewhere that it can take a 12 gm one.
    My images here should give a good idea of what I have.
    Looking into the end cap, it does have a slot to remove part of the valve, but I am guessing that this will NOT be the proper thing to do, and I should stick to the short 8 gm CO2.

Unfortunately, I cannot contact the previous owner for advice, and I don't have a user manual for the firearm, and not being familiar with this particular pistol, I don't want to force anything!

The last image with the silver CO2, is pushed in to the point where it stops... any further and it would puncture the cylinder.
    I only show this to indicate that I think the cylinder is too long (I realise it has to go in a little further in operation!).

Thanks for any help on this!
    Mike