Thread: Dating Original Mod 6G??

Dating Original Mod 6G??

Been wondering if there’s any info out there to be accessed where I might be able to put a rough date to my Original 6G at all?

I’ve had a little google and not found anything yet so thought in the meantime I’d be a bit lazy and see if I can pick the brains of the wealth of knowledge that makes up this great group.

Serial number begins 00 so Im guessing its gonna be an early one but this make is pretty alien to me so Im at your mercy for the time being.

Cheers
    All help, advice and wrist slaps gratefully received.
    Most sales open to swaps for older BSA’s, projects and or incomplete/bits. Currently quietly developing a hankering for a nice S10 BBK………..

It should be date-stamped in SMALL numbers in the MM YY format toward the rear of the cylinder on the left side.

The G versions of the 5 and 6 were introduced late 78 and discontinued in, I think, about 1990.

I have Mod 6 M.So may not be exactly like yours.
    Mine is stamped
    (month and year) on the cylinder approximately half an inch from the end cap on the left hand side.
    Look well , they're very small numbers.

Cheers guys. Just had a look and it’s stamped 08 78 so as I suspected from the 00 serial number one of the early ones off the production line.

Looking forward to new seals arriving ( hopefully tomorrow ���� ) and taking it up the range to try it out saturday.
    Last edited by gizwaz; 24-05-2022 at 05:53 PM.
    All help, advice and wrist slaps gratefully received.
    Most sales open to swaps for older BSA’s, projects and or incomplete/bits. Currently quietly developing a hankering for a nice S10 BBK………..

I have a model 6M and the manufacturing date is stamped on the LHS of the air chamber at the back between the rear sight and the milled end-cap after "made in Germany". It is in VERY small type and I needed a magnifying glass to read it since my eyesight isn't as good now. Mine reads 11 78 which I have always assumed to be November 1978. I guess a similar identity was marked on the 6G also.

On their wooden-gripped and stocked guns, Diana and Original pressed the date - in the same format - into the base of the pistol grips and the butt of the rifles. Hope this helps.

Whoops - I did not see the earlier posts when I responded but you now havw the info you require.
    Last edited by AC99; 24-05-2022 at 06:40 PM.